[TUC SPOILERS] Walter and Redeagl on TUC...

• 44 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:14:54 pm »
Since the Quorum is prohibited, we can continue here the questions :)
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 03:19:08 pm »
Thanks you two :)!

Much appreciated.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 03:19:48 pm »
Yay!

Did you guys come out of a reread, or when did you last read the previous installments, in particular TGO?
Mystery denotes darkness

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 03:22:12 pm »
Alright, overall thoughts: [non spoilery for anything specific in book, but any discussion of pacing, etc. will yield pseudo spoilers if you read into em.  Read at own risk]

1: Stylistically this is most similar to TTT.  We are finally getting to the fireworks factory.
2: It is RSB at his Bakker-est, if that makes any sense.  If you dug the other books in spite of the Bakkerisms, this will be rough for you.  If you dug them FOR his particular quirks, then this is right up your alley.
3: This is now my favorite Bakker book, previously TWP was the one I liked most.
4: Be careful about spoilers.  There are a lot of twists and turns in the plot that are amazing when they happen with no warnings.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 03:22:35 pm »
Yay!

Did you guys come out of a reread, or when did you last read the previous installments, in particular TGO?
I didn't reread TAE. Only read a few chapters from TJE,TWLW and TGO right before TUC. I did complete a PoN reread in March though.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 03:23:28 pm »
@Hiro 3:

Yeah, I did a reread of the whole series reading up to this, finishing TGO the night before my copy arrived, so everything was fresh in my mind.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:26 pm »
Yay!

I didn't reread TAE. Only read a few chapters from TJE,TWLW and TGO right before TUC. I did complete a PoN reread in March though.

Thanks, good to know, to place your comments in a context. I've just finished my PON reread, and into TJE now.
Mystery denotes darkness

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 03:28:00 pm »
@Hiro 3:

Yeah, I did a reread of the whole series reading up to this, finishing TGO the night before my copy arrived, so everything was fresh in my mind.

My plan in a nutshell... thanks.
Mystery denotes darkness

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 03:53:51 pm »
Mine too, almost done TTT. Need to really not watch TV and read rest of June. I had thought of skipping TJE and TWLW and just doing TGO, though.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 03:55:10 pm »
Mine too, almost done TTT. Need to really not watch TV and read rest of June. I had thought of skipping TJE and TWLW and just doing TGO, though.

It had crossed my mind, but I finally figured, let's just go for completeness sake all-the-Slog's-way.
Mystery denotes darkness

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »
The 'What Has Gone Before' sections are usually enough, but I'm super invested in these books so I like the complete read throughs.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 03:57:05 pm »
The 'What Has Gone Before' sections are usually enough, but I'm super invested in these books so I like the complete read throughs.

I'm skipping those sections, and the TTT glossary. 'Just' the text itself.
Mystery denotes darkness

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 03:59:10 pm »
Make sure you read TUC's glossary after the book itself.  There are some references to stuff in TUC in there.

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 04:04:04 pm »
Make sure you read TUC's glossary after the book itself.  There are some references to stuff in TUC in there.

So I'd gathered from Wert.

As a further reference, Walter, might I ask what other books do you enjoy / rate highly?
Mystery denotes darkness

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 04:11:27 pm »
Stephen R Donaldson's books are some of my favorite, and I'd never turn down a Joe Abercrombie (although, really I think he's gone downhill since The First Law).  I enjoyed some of the earlier Malazan books, but ultimately fell out of love with the series.  I read the Wheel of Time and dug it, actually thought Sanderson's stuff at the end was an improvement over Robert Jordan's later work.  I like Sanderson's current series, but never could get into his superhero stuff.

In general, I'm generally a sucker for dark fantasy stuff.