Earwa > General Q&A

Size and climate of Earwa [Q&A]

(1/5) > >>

Wilshire:
How big is Earwa actually supposed to be?
I'm thinking the distance from Invishi to Golgotterath might be roughly the distance from the South Africa to the Mediterranean.

I'm asking because I'm also interested in how cold the "North" might actually be. Is Kian close to the Earwan equator? It looks like Agongorea is a desert based on the maps, but I'm wondering if it might actually be rather cold up there. I know rainfal, rather than temperature, identifies an area as a desert, but it seems strange to me that the land around Golgotterath should bare the same "desert" markings as the Carathay desert.

I guess the size of Earwa itself won't really answer that question, since we don't know how large the world is, and if its substantially larger than Earth, the distances North/South of the equator wouldn't really be meaningful if trying to discern the climate of the far north, since thousands of miles from the equator could still be rather tropical if the planet was big enough.

Answer (from below):
Distance from Golgotterath to Invishi (southernmost city on the map, in Nilnamesh, near mouth of Sea on Onkis and) is about 10,000 kilometers

explanation, though buried in some spoilers, is below.

Garet Jax:
(click to show/hide)There are glaciers near Ishual.  Not sure how high the mountains are around there, or if it means anything at all, but I would presume that it means it is decently far away from the equatorial region?

Somnambulist:
(click to show/hide) I think it was discussed somewhere that the strip of land around the Yimaleti mountains (north of Agongorea) was roughly equivalent to the Norwegian peninsula.  With that in mind (roughly), Eamnor, Kuniuir and Akksersia would be about the size of greater Europe; Zeum, Kian and High Ainon would occupy the climate of North Africa/Near East (which would make the Carathay the Sahara); the Meneanor would be roughly the Mediterranean; and Kut Narmu the Congo.  Armchair geography, woo hoo!

Wilshire:
Spoilers?. Cu'jara Cinmoi is Bakker's username from an old forum. Information below if from outside of the text, and so are the conclusions drawn from it. No story spoilers.

(click to show/hide)
--- Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi ---
Earwa is actually some four or five times the size of Europe. I put that allusory analogue of
the Norwegian coast along the top as a sneaky way to gauge the land masses involved.
--- End quote ---
Does that mean that that allusory analogue, which is the cost west of the Demua Mountains, 5x the size of its Norway counterpart, or the same size?

That equivalent Norwegian coastline is roughly 400 kilometers. So the short nearly vertical North/South edge of the Demua is either 400 km or 1600 to 2000 km.

This either makes the north/south length of earwa either 2000 km (roughly the north/south length of the USA), or 8,000 to 10,000 km (roughly the distance of the southern tip of South America to the Northern most point of Main, USA.

EDIT:
If it is really 10,000km, then Earwa is either a Pangea-like supercontinent, or the planet is just massive.

Garet Jax:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on August 21, 2014, 04:25:20 pm ---meta-spoilers. Cu'jara Cinmoi is Bakker's username from an old forum. Information below if from outside of the text, and so are the conclusions drawn from it. No story spoilers.

(click to show/hide)
--- Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi ---
Earwa is actually some four or five times the size of Europe. I put that allusory analogue of
the Norwegian coast along the top as a sneaky way to gauge the land masses involved.
--- End quote ---
Does that mean that that allusory analogue, which is the cost west of the Demua Mountains, 5x the size of its Norway counterpart, or the same size?

That equivalent Norwegian coastline is roughly 400 kilometers. So the short nearly vertical North/South edge of the Demua is either 400 km or 1600 to 2000 km.

This either makes the north/south length of earwa either 2000 km (roughly the north/south length of the USA), or 8,000 to 10,000 km (roughly the distance of the southern tip of South America to the Northern most point of Main, USA.

--- End quote ---

I would say the latter. 

(click to show/hide)If Earwa is 4-5 times larger than Europe, then the "coast" he refers to should be 4-5 times larger than it's counterpart as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version