Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

• 138 Replies

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:36:35 pm »
I'm a bit surprised it hasn't come up by now. I figured I'd broach the subject. What games are you guys playing, if any, these days?

I've always been a sucker for Blizzard games ever since Diablo II and Warcraft III. I nearly went pro in the latter, but let college get in the way lol.

I've seen that a few others of you are playing SCII as well. I am picking that up soon.

In addition to that, if anyone plays Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm, let me know.

I am always looking for new games to check out too

[EDIT Madness: Title and stickied.]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:21:14 am by Madness »

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:17:34 pm »
The only game that I've played a lot and enjoyed were Heroes of Might and Magic. When I met my then-not-yet husband, we used to spend some time together, playing Heroes II on "hot-seat". And then, when I fell down with chicken pox (which at the age of 21 is a real nightmare), he lent me Heroes III, which helped me keep my sanity while locked for 3 weeks at my room and smelling like Soviet distillery (in case you don't know, the best topical treatment for chicken pox in adults is salicylic spirit - don't try it with kids, though). And then we bought ourselves a new computer so that I could play Heroes V.
But then I graduated, got to (up to three) jobs at the same time, so I quit playing computer games. Although last weekend my husband dearest got out a copy of Heroes three and we started playing it, for the old times' sake mostly.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 08:18:55 pm »
The only game that I've played a lot and enjoyed were Heroes of Might and Magic. When I met my then-not-yet husband, we used to spend some time together, playing Heroes II on "hot-seat".

Fuck yeah! I made some of my best friends when I was younger playing Heroes II on hot-seat.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »
Skyrim destroyed my sleeping habits for years...
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 08:33:10 pm »
I've been wanting to play more SC2 lately, but free time and I are rare acquaintances.  I still jam a few minutes of Diablo 3 every now and then though.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 12:32:54 am »
I game a lot in my spare time. Right now I'm trying to finish up the last few missions in Metal Gear Solid V.

I play on PC quite a bit but havent kept up with Blizzard games outside of D3. My Steam name is the same as here if anybody wants to add me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:39 pm »
Played about half of Witcher 3, got bored and stopped.

Currently only playing SC with Madness online but I am looking forward to some of the new games coming out soon. Should be a good year for gaming.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Anasurimbor Phallus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 05:46:58 pm »
The only game that I've played a lot and enjoyed were Heroes of Might and Magic. When I met my then-not-yet husband, we used to spend some time together, playing Heroes II on "hot-seat". And then, when I fell down with chicken pox (which at the age of 21 is a real nightmare), he lent me Heroes III, which helped me keep my sanity while locked for 3 weeks at my room and smelling like Soviet distillery (in case you don't know, the best topical treatment for chicken pox in adults is salicylic spirit - don't try it with kids, though). And then we bought ourselves a new computer so that I could play Heroes V.
But then I graduated, got to (up to three) jobs at the same time, so I quit playing computer games. Although last weekend my husband dearest got out a copy of Heroes three and we started playing it, for the old times' sake mostly.

Loved Heroes 2. Heroes 3 was probably the high point of the series. In both games my favorite thing was to raise an unstoppable skeleton horde withe the Necromancer faction.

I'm currently obsessed with Medieval 2. It's a medieval combat RTS that came out in 2006 I think, but I didn't pick it up until recently. Really fun game especially for a history fan like me. Unlike most RTS which are about winning by destroying all the enemy units, Medieval 2 takes the more historical approach of taking into account fatigue and morale. If you troops are tired, they'll move and fight sluggishly. If their morale breaks, their ranks will dissolve and they'll be easy prey for enemy cavalry.

Another thing I love is that formations and battlefield geography are really important. Do I form my spearmen into a hedgehog for all-around defense, or march them in a column for more speed? In a siege defense, do I stop the invaders at the wall breach or draw them into narrow alleys to ambush them? A lot of really fun decisions to make in this game.

Francis Buck

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 06:34:18 pm »
I'm pretty huge into gaming. Started as a kid when I was maybe three and my brother got a Sega Genesis with Mortal Kombat and the first Sonic. Color coded ninjas suddenly became my jam.

I play a decent variety of games, but I suppose most of what I'm into falls into a vague "action" category. Love RPG's, but it depends heavily on the systems used (I've never been able to get into turn-based things games outside of Pokemon, but I've also never really pushed myself to beyond a few rare instances -- most recently I can remember X-Com, which I enjoyed but sucked so bad at that I lost the drive to go on).

I was and kind of still am pretty into Halo. I used to be in it for both the gameplay and the story, but the story (and really the whole extended lore of the universe) took a sharp nosedive after Halo 3 to the point that I simply don't care about it anymore. Halo 5 had the worst story of a Halo game, but it also has easily some of the best gameplay, especially multiplayer, and I think the singleplayer of Halo 6 is going to be pretty fantastic as far as the encounters and level design.

Recently became a fan of the MGS series (I actually have a half-finished casual essay thing I wrote about the franchise). Despite tons of weird little quirks -- not all of them good -- I think MGS is easily some of the best in the medium. MGSV had, in my opinion, a pretty brilliant story that I don't think we'll be acknowledged for its genius for some time. MGS is weird when it comes to "story" though -- the actual plots are completely absurd and generally not very good, but each game -- particularly 2 and especially V, have incredibly clever meta-stories which involve the player themselves and their emotions more than most games ever try to.

The Dark Souls series is basically top dog for me though. I haven't ever played a game with such a mastery over the player's state of mind, while also having incredible gameplay, amazing worldbuilding/lore, and stunning art direction. There are games I would consider its equal, but I can't think of any I would consider superior.

I'm also into 2D platformers and action games, and play a lot of indie stuff -- even more so recently, since I'm trying to make my own game. I finally played Braid after hearing about it for years, and it easily exceeded my expectations. It's definitely one of the best and perhaps one of the most important games of the 2000's, and -- like Dark Souls -- is an exquisitely crafted piece of art where every element comes together cohesively. Soundtrack is fantastic too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 06:46:14 pm by Ciphrank »

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:14 am »
Anyone here who plays Elder Scrolls online?  I can`t seem to decide whether is a good idea or not......I loved playing Oblivion back in the day, so this game has a strong nostalgic pull on me.

Add me on steam: Fiddler

There are many people called Bolivar on steam dude!  Which Bolivar are you?

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 06:03:13 pm »
I tried looking for you but there's a million Fiddlers as well! I have the dude from the Command & Conquer box as my avatar.

I haven't played ESO but you might want to look into Oblivion modding, the game has come a long way in 10 years:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 07:16:40 pm »
I played the beta ESO, thought it seemed passingly interesting but in the end not worth playing - which to be fair is how I feel about all MMOs, even the ones i do play - so I decided it wasn't worth a subscription as I could get the same thing with something free.

That said, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm not generally the biggest fan of ES anyway so it just wasn't for me. Though, again, that said, the modded ES games end up being superior products to the originals, and worst spending lots of time playing :P.

I'm currently considering Black Desert Online. I played a friends guest pass, its .... very big with lots of nuances and different things that make it seem more entertaining than your general run of the mill MMO. I might pick it up once I figure out how hard going back to school is going to be.

Also, played through Factorio. Good times there, not sure if its worth the price as its a somewhat short game, but still fun.

Recently played through "Fortresscraft Evolved!", which took probably 160+ man hours (set up a server and played with a friend, we both had 80+ hours). Fun game, but its not finished, though development continues. Might be worth picking up if you're interested in that type of thing. I got it at a severe discount so it was well worth whatever it was I payed for it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:09:36 pm by Wilshire »

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 07:33:43 pm »
I tried looking for you but there's a million Fiddlers as well! I have the dude from the Command & Conquer box as my avatar.

I haven't played ESO but you might want to look into Oblivion modding, the game has come a long way in 10 years:

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide

Haha yeah I think I found you dude. ATM I am mostly running around shooting in CS GO.

Francis Buck

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 11:59:35 pm »
Been playing Hyper Light Drifter, and now getting into the early stages of Dark Souls 3.

Hyper Light Drifter is a masterpiece, no question. Every element is a finely crafted and tuned to perfection, stunning art and atmosphere, super-challenging but fair and thrilling combat, and some of the most unique story-delivery I've seen in a video game in a long, long time.

As for Dark Souls 3, it has been shattering my brain with the awesomeness. The goddamn tutorial boss is more intense, epic, and beautifully staged/crafted than most enemy encounters you see in the entirety of an average big-budget game. And Dark Souls 3 is like fifty hours long.

Dunno if I can handle it to be honest.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 02:40:59 pm »
Because Rick and Morty is possibly the best cartoon, I thought I mention I found this: Pocket Mortys for mobile. Hilarious spoof of pokemon via Rick and Morty.