Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2016, 12:23:30 pm »
Updated. Except for mine own undocumented finished reads... I'll have to sort that out.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »
Jut finished off Cibola Burn by James S. A. Cory, the 4th Expanse novel.  Was OK, the series does tend to feel a bit repetitive to me sometimes, but it was a decent read.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 06, 2016, 06:10:52 pm »
Finished reading Hidden Life of Trees, started John Brunner's Sheep Look Up. I've read about the third over the last two days and it's a really fascinating. I also had a very strong feeling it must've been influenced by U Thant Report - and I checked, the report came out three years before the book so it's highly possible. Again, like Stand on Zanzibar, many points of view and characters, whose paths cross at one point or another, very short chapters interspersed with excerpts of news, adverts, TV programmes, etc. And I must admit I am grateful for the search function on my Kindle, because I have to check the names from time to time, to see in what context they've appeared before.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2016, 10:09:49 am »
Hey guys,

If everyone can post me their updated totals then I will get this thread updated and back on track!

For my part I have recently finished Richard Mathiesons: The Shrinking Man which I found hugely enjoyable - especially the portions where the MC is not super small but doll sized - heart wrenching and surprisingly philosophically subtle.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2016, 10:10:39 am »
Also - if you don't have time to collate your reads I will be going through the thread this evening and updating what everyone has posted.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2016, 12:58:06 pm »
SR, I believe Madness collected the reads recently and updated the initial post, that was around October 24.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »
Strange date as that was my birthday!

Cool well I will have a poke through later but I'm sure Madness was on top of it :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »
On top of it, not at all.

I started trying to catch up on due diligence somewhere around the end of the summer and, as Wilshire wrote, am caught up until like a page or ago, probably.

Thanks, SR. Doing due diligence has inspired me to make the most of the lifetime-reading years I have left.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:38 pm »
Finished reading Brunner's Sheep Look Up, which is my 10th book this year. It's really good, but also terrifying, terribly realistic and up-to-date. It's set sometime in late 1970s (near future, as it was published in 1972) but many things are all too familiar - terrorism, pollution, bacteria that are immune to all know antibiotics, social unrest, big corporations doing whatever they want for profit, American interventions in other countries - as well President Prexy, who sounds very much like Trump. It's not very long but demands concetration, because there is at least a dozen major characters and even more minor ones, everything is connected and sometimes it's like the butterfly that causes a tornado. Or a complicated tapestry. All in all, certainly worth reading, it did not age a day.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2016, 10:43:04 pm »
Finished Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. Thanks Redeagl, really enjoyed it. Starting the sequel now, Tower Lord.

With added responsibility at work my reading has slowed down considerably.....can't wait til the new year and all these audits are over with so I can be paid I read. :)
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2016, 06:05:06 pm »
In the meantime I've read Brandon Sanderson's Legion and Legion: Skin Deep. The first is a longish short story, the second is a novella, all in all something to read between some other lenghty works and to lighten up mood. I liked it a lot, it's fun read on pretty serious topics - and also in the second story there appears a (deceased) character who seems to be a true nerd and being a nerd myself, I had a laugh while reading the descriptions.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2016, 01:11:21 pm »
Just finished The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt.  Was good, interesting, if you've been reading Bakker's blog, you are pretty set to understand what he is talking about really.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »
Promise of Blood, book 1 of the Powder Mage trilogy, by Brian McClellan. Guess that makes 14 books this year.

Great book, great cast of characters, unique take on magic in a pre-industrial world. Definitely recommended

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2016, 01:35:24 pm »
17 books.
Just finished the Foundation 'trilogy' . The series has more than 3 books I  it now, but I read the original 3.

Fun books. You can tell Asimov  was a writer of short stories, most of them read like serials.

TSA seems to have some similarities. The Mule and Kellhus, Second Foundation and Dunyain, the whole Seldon Plan vs TTT, etc. 

Also, one of the final lines, they call the Second Foundation "The Cognisati", which I think is brilliant.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:31:03 pm by Wilshire »

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2016, 03:12:36 pm »
Ok well I have updated the original post to account for everyones reads so far - if anyone has any I haven't included just let me know.

Well done to those who have hit their targets.

Wilshire has done a very respectable amount compared to his target - needs less of a weak sauce target last year.

For my part I am going to really push my reading over the next few weeks to ty my very best to hit my reading target.

Had a big gap of not reading late in the year which has affected my totals.

Currently reading Mathesons I Am Legend.