Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

Stephen R. Donaldson

<< < (2/3) > >>

Wilshire:
To me, The Real Story was, by far, the darkest/"most evil" book I've ever read (read it for the first time about 6 months ago). Not sure I can handle future installments.

I wouldn't call it superb scifi, but certainly not the worst out there either.
It'll be interesting to see your journey though scifi, MSJ, should you venture back into its dusty history.

BeardFisher-King:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on January 04, 2018, 08:04:00 pm ---To me, The Real Story was, by far, the darkest/"most evil" book I've ever read (read it for the first time about 6 months ago). Not sure I can handle future installments.

--- End quote ---

To my mind, "The Real Story" is about on a par with "Neuropath". But Neuropath affected me more, due to Neuropath's ending.

MSJ:

--- Quote from:  Wilshire ---I wouldn't call it superb scifi, but certainly not the worst out there either.
It'll be interesting to see your journey though scifi, MSJ, should you venture back into its dusty history.
--- End quote ---

Sci-fi is about all I got left. ;)

I've been reading fantasy for the last four years and find it hard to stumble upon something good anymore. Please, everyone, read Mile Cameron's TRAITOR SON CYCLE. Best fantasy I've read in a long while, and its complete.

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: MSJ on January 04, 2018, 08:18:01 pm ---
--- Quote from:  Wilshire ---I wouldn't call it superb scifi, but certainly not the worst out there either.
--- End quote ---

Sci-fi is about all I got left. ;)

I've been reading fantasy for the last four years and find it hard to stumble upon something good anymore. Please, everyone, read Mile Cameron's TRAITOR SON CYCLE. Best fantasy I've read in a long while, and its complete.

--- End quote ---
Why not, more off topic stuff :) :

I'd argue scifi has a much richer history than Fantasy. There seemed to be little of note in Fantasy after Tolkien until fairly recently (last couple decades). Scifi, otoh, saw pretty continuous development since Asimov/Herbert - not everything unique of course, but plenty of Names.
Maybe I've just read the wrong stuff, but from my experience, most Fantasy was very derivative from Tolkien for a long time. I'm not near as well versed in either genre to make the claims I am, so its likely im way off base lol. Feel free to set me straight.

MSJ:
You'd definitely enjoy TRAITOR SON CYCLE, and another excellent series is TOWER OF BABEL, by Josiah Bancroft, which is unlike anything I've read in fantasy in a long time.

But, I agree. Most fantasy follows the Tolkien template. T hats what has made me a Bakker fan boy. He uses elements of traditional fantasy, then turns them on their heads.

I will say this, there is a good chance that Bakker could ruin TSA with TNG. I thought the ending of TUC perfect and is exactly what Bakker stands for as a fantasy writer. He said he didn't think it had been done before, and I think he's correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version