The Collected Works of Emilidis

• 59 Replies

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2017, 02:50:23 pm »
My only problem with that interpretation is that Harapior warned her not to try and cant with the Collar on after she'd proved torture didn't work on her, after all the singing and the other Nonmen saying that she tormented him. He still seemed to think the Collar would kill her if she used sorcery, even though he absolutely knew that pain had no hold over her. To me, that implies that merely being able to ignore pain shouldn't normally protect against an Agonic Collar, and that Serwa had to do something else (that Harapior could not conceive of) to defeat it.

It's a shame her showing her father's dread portion happens off screen.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:07 pm »
Sorweel reflects on it a bit, how the Quya just withered under her song. Didn't sound competitive.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2017, 05:03:22 pm »
These were all the works I could find from him.

The Amiolas
The Barricades
The Diurnal
The Immaculate Rim
Chipmunk
Hearth-cracker (and five other Cinderswords)
The Orthongonal (apparently he made five, all are noted as not having survived the ages).

The Agonic Collar - Maybe?
I saw note of Sheära, the Sun-skin, but couldn't confirm if it was from him or Mihtrûl.

Something else with a cool name made by Davdul (some man) was Tharmondal, the Sky-cleaver.
Note, though, that others have managed to create artifacts that are immune to Chorae, though how this happens isn't clear. But the text of the Orthogonal is what seems cool to me, his research into the 'Uncreated Creation'. Basically wanting to make an artifact that seemed natural. So assumedly one with no mark.

sun-skin is not his work, as i'm pretty sure that mimara has to tuck her chorae into her boots so it will work. or that might be Akka's wards, so i might be talking pish.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2017, 05:34:12 pm »
My only problem with that interpretation is that Harapior warned her not to try and cant with the Collar on after she'd proved torture didn't work on her, after all the singing and the other Nonmen saying that she tormented him. He still seemed to think the Collar would kill her if she used sorcery, even though he absolutely knew that pain had no hold over her. To me, that implies that merely being able to ignore pain shouldn't normally protect against an Agonic Collar, and that Serwa had to do something else (that Harapior could not conceive of) to defeat it.

I think Harapior was just hedging his bets. He gagged her because he knew her as Dunyain and so knew she sang the lays of the Nonmen so that Nin'ciljiras would bid her sing for the court before they defiled her. Harapior seems to be the only Ishterebinth Nonmen who has a clue as to how dangerous the Dunyain can be so he assumes that her signing to torment the torturers has a point - that she can sing through the Agonic Collar and thus when bid sing for Nin'ciljiras, she would settle the issue of civil war.

I think he specifically says it's an Agonic Collar made by Emildilis but since he still gags her on top of the Agonic Collar, he probably is just trying to scare her out of trying.

It's a shame her showing her father's dread portion happens off screen.

Damn shame but also classic Bakker. Leaves the imaginings up to us ;).

EDIT: Fixed boneheaded error.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:47:14 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2017, 05:42:35 pm »
Nil'giccas would bid her sing for the court
You probably mean Nin'ciljiras?

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
I think it worth noting that Harapior could also be wrong, given the glossary entry about Emilidis.
"A great deal of controversy and confusion surrounds the Artisan and his creations, the latter because the School of Mihtrulic insisted on crediting Emilidis with the manufacture of everything save the humblest sorcerous artifacts long after his disappearance"

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2017, 05:46:24 pm »
Nil'giccas would bid her sing for the court
You probably mean Nin'ciljiras?

Yup :)...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2017, 08:32:42 pm »
Has it been noted that Akka identifies Chipmunk as the Artisan's work when he sees Crabicus touching it with a chorae, sparking light but not disenchanting it?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:32 am »
Like Akka, Serwa bears Sethwatha within and with it his resistance to being compelled as well as her Dunyain abilities.  The Lord Torturer has never subjected such a person to his torments and compulsions nor has he ever seen the effects of the collar on such a person.  Once she is able to unleash sorcery, it is going to of war cants of someone who can wield the Metagnosis and it will be unleashed on a court that is literally tearing itself apart.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 03:10:29 pm »
Has it been noted that Akka identifies Chipmunk as the Artisan's work when he sees Crabicus touching it with a chorae, sparking light but not disenchanting it?

I think the line goes "Emildilis hid that in the Coffers for a reason" (bp).

Like Akka, Serwa bears Sethwatha within and with it his resistance to being compelled as well as her Dunyain abilities.  The Lord Torturer has never subjected such a person to his torments and compulsions nor has he ever seen the effects of the collar on such a person.  Once she is able to unleash sorcery, it is going to of war cants of someone who can wield the Metagnosis and it will be unleashed on a court that is literally tearing itself apart.

+1
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2017, 01:57:51 pm »
What i find amazing is from the EG. That all of Emilidis works are immune to chorae. Thats just amazing.

But I thought that it was strongly implied that Sorweel used a chorae to disenchant Serwa's collar so that she could get them out of there...  Did I read that wrong?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2017, 02:11:40 pm »
Sings sorcery through the Collar ;)!

Confirmed in our Q&A thread here - I've been saying that for time though. All Sorweel does is remove the gag.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 02:20:56 pm »
Sings sorcery through the Collar ;)!

Confirmed in our Q&A thread here - I've been saying that for time though. All Sorweel does is remove the gag.

DANG!  That's awesome.  I have had trouble with 1) keeping up with all the Q and A's and 2) finding information referenced in the Q and A's even after I know they are there.  Example:  I read on a thread that in the Reddit AMA RSB confirmed that Khellus found a way to hide his soul from Ajokli, but I read the whole thing and never saw that referenced in there at all. 

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 02:29:11 pm »
DANG!  That's awesome.  I have had trouble with 1) keeping up with all the Q and A's and 2) finding information referenced in the Q and A's even after I know they are there.  Example:  I read on a thread that in the Reddit AMA RSB confirmed that Khellus found a way to hide his soul from Ajokli, but I read the whole thing and never saw that referenced in there at all.
That wasn't on Reddit, but here:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=2278.msg35988#msg35988

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 07:40:32 pm »
That wasn't on Reddit, but here:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=2278.msg35988#msg35988

Thanks!  Keeping my "Khellus isn't gone" dreams alive.