• 191 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »
Quote from: Fëanor
Thanks; that mammal question was a joke, but how could you know?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:59 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Got me lol. Damned internet ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:04 pm »
Quote from: Fëanor
My fault, didn't write "haha".

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:10 pm »
Quote from: Bastard of Godsgrace
Yeah, the seal question had troubled me for some time, but the sigil seemed far more likely. Perhaps more controversial: Bashrags are supposed to have additional faces on cheeks. Which cheeks? ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:16 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I'm going to hazard a guess that the Swayali represent the majority of the Ordeal's sorcerous strength at this point. Bakker classically understates episodes, like Wilshire's quote, throughout the series, which then find themselves front & center in the successive books.

Also, I think its likely that the Dunyain remain in Ishual. It strikes me as a fairly obvious strategy in order to hide themselves from the world further. But I'd guess that Achamian isn't going to find the answers he seeks there...

Plus, from what was hinted in the comments at TPB, Bakker implies that Achamian and Mimara would only be spending the first chapter wrapping up their time at Ishual.

Since I didn't know where else to post this: there is a passage in WLW, the first large battle, when Kayutas sends out the Witches. A description of how many.

"At her brother's command, Serwa deployued her witches behind the common line, holding forty-three of the most senior and accomplished in reserve" ... "They climbed out beyond the common line, a second chevron, like a mathematical apparition of the first, two hundred lights flung into the blackness of the plain" ... "Bars of heaven, lines of blinding white rising from the wasted ground to shrouded sky, some two hundred of them"

Anyone recall how many Mandate there were during the first trillogy? I know it was explicitly stated how many Spires schoolmen there were, but I cannot remember if they said exacly how many Mandate. I thought it was around 100 but I could be wrong.

If Kellhus could train a school from 0 to 200 gnostic users during his reign, I wonder how large he could have grown the Mandate in that time? Especially considering that the Sisterhood and the Mandate would not be competing for members.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:25 pm »
"And so the number of the Kites flown by the Army of the South was doubled. More than three hundred sorcerers of rank and some two hundred more understudies now strode through the sepulchral clouds above the Horde" (WLW, p706).

This includes the Schools of Vokalati and the Mandate.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »
Quote from: Saubon123
Also the majority of the Vokalati and Mandate sorcerers survived the last battle when Kellhus came to save them. also thats 300 sorcerers of rank and 200 understudies for the Vokalati and Mandate alone. Dont forget that the Scarlet Spires, The imperial Saik, and the Mysunsai march with the Swayal sisterhood. and seeing how they are a new school to the three seas they are probably only a small fraction of the total sorcerers in the Great Ordeal

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:37 pm »
Saubon123, my impetuous friend, ambiguity and interpretation are not on your side:

"Not knowing what happened several Vokalati assailed Saccarees - then several more, until fairly half the Vokalati found themselves attacking for no reason save that their brothers had so turned in violence. And so did the Schools of Mandate and Vokalati consume each other in a final act of madness" (WLW, p763).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:43 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Who are the Vokalati, again?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:48 pm »
Also the majority of the Vokalati and Mandate sorcerers survived the last battle when Kellhus came to save them. also thats 300 sorcerers of rank and 200 understudies for the Vokalati and Mandate alone. Dont forget that the Scarlet Spires, The imperial Saik, and the Mysunsai march with the Swayal sisterhood. and seeing how they are a new school to the three seas they are probably only a small fraction of the total sorcerers in the Great Ordeal

The majority of the Vokalati were slaughtered by the Mandate after the Vokalati headmaster when mad. It remains to be seen how many of the Mandate survived the battle, but the text states that the Vokalati and the Mandate schools destroyed each other.
The SS is probably less prominent after the first trilogy, most of them died fighting the Cish.
The sisterhood has about 250 witches by Serwa's description.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2013, 04:58:56 pm »
Sorry i should have said the majority of the mandate survived cause they clearly were stronger than the vokalati. but still all i was saying was that sorcerers survived the last battle :p jeez dont have to be so mean

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:02 pm »
Came off a bit strong I guess, sorry about that, the internet :P.

Callan S.: The Vokalati, as all the schools mentioned, is just one of the major schools of the three seas. Though I do not remember specifically who they are, I believe they are just another school.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:08 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
The Vokalati is a major anagogic(sp) School based in Nilnamesh.It is strange that it was never mentioned in the first trilogy not even in the Glossary,so it must be new or has changed its name.But yes i guess its almost completely obliterated now.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »
I supposed the world was too preoccupied with the Cish to care about the Vokalati.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:20 pm »
"With them marched the Vokalati, the feared Sun-wailers of Nilnamesh, under the Grandmaster known only as Carindusu, notorious for his insolence in the presence of the Aspect-Emperor and for his rumoured theft of the Mandate Gnosis" (WLW, p85).

That is something I've always been curious about. My italics. And yes, they're never mentioned in the PON but neither are lots of things... striptease ;).