• 191 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
I don't think that we can make any certain assumptions in one direction or the other about to what degree the Mandate and Vokalati "destroyed" one another.  The one passage could be read as total destruction, but ti's clearly not that as Kellhus arrives and bids them follow him home, so plenty are left.

I love Bakker's writing w/ the three shamings of Carindusu and how the final shaming is when Carindusu thinks he has Saccarees humiliated but then he himself is subsequently humiliated by Saccarees saying "Yes.  The world has never seen the its like" or whatever the quote is.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I don't think that we can make any certain assumptions in one direction or the other about to what degree the Mandate and Vokalati "destroyed" one another.  The one passage could be read as total destruction, but ti's clearly not that as Kellhus arrives and bids them follow him home, so plenty are left.

I love Bakker's writing w/ the three shamings of Carindusu and how the final shaming is when Carindusu thinks he has Saccarees humiliated but then he himself is subsequently humiliated by Saccarees saying "Yes.  The world has never seen the its like" or whatever the quote is.
I agree. Misinformation at best, there are certainly schoolmen yet alive, or else none would have returned with Kell.

And yeah, that section was great. Really powerful.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:39 pm »
Quote from: Cynical Cat
Anyone remember the last chapter of The Warrior-Prophet?  The Consult have been hunting the Dunyain for twenty years.  Ishual could have been destroyed by them, as well as Kelhous.

As for Carindusu, he may have been rumoured to have stolen the Gnosis but the evidence seems to be otherwise.  Not that it was ever likely.  Even the witches of the Compact bind themselves to Seswatha's heart.  We've seen how hard it is to prize that knowledge loose.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:45 pm »
Quote from: Cynical Cat
As for Carindusu, he may have been rumoured to have stolen the Gnosis but the evidence seems to be otherwise.  Not that it was ever likely.  Even the witches of the Compact bind themselves to Seswatha's heart.  We've seen how hard it is to prize that knowledge loose.

I do wonder about what the author is trying to say w/ the "rumored theft of the Mandate gnosis" line. 

Saccarees kicks his ass pretty hard it sounds like once they go head-to-head.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2013, 04:59:51 pm »
Quote from: Madness
He ends up taking on half the Vokalati before his Mandate brethren step in. Plus, I think that the Mandate would recognize if any of the Vokalati actually used the Gnosis, rather than the Anagogis.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:06 pm »
their marks differ like the difference between a blade and a bludgeon

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:10 pm »
I have this feeling that TUC will be full of information, but by the end not everything will be clear. Bakker will probably hide enough information throughout the novel to piece together whatever wasn't said, but I feel like there will still be need for us here at TSA forum. Or at least maybe thats my hope.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:20 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
When the story is done,
and haters be hatin'
We'll still be here,
Extrapolatin'

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2013, 05:00:41 pm »
Quote from: Saubon123
I have two questions which are unrelated
1. does anyone know anything about when TUC is coming out?
2. is Girgash a Ketyai or a Satyothi nation?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:07:47 pm by Madness »

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:58 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
When the story is done,
and haters be hatin'
We'll still be here,
Extrapolatin'
8-)

sorry Saubon123 i have no idea about either of your questions.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:05 pm »
Yeah - We do not have anything close to an official release date to my knowledge, so Summer of 2013 is probably an absolute best-case-scenario, sadly. 

I think 2014 is more likely at this point.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »
When I spoke with Bakker a few weeks ago he said that it was 'done'. Unfortunately he was talking about the actual writing of the book. None of the editing/reviewing/publishing process was even started (from what I could tell). I know nothing about that kind of thing, but even if Bakker put his finished copy of the book onto the editors desk, say 3 weeks ago right after we talked, I would doubt it would be done by March. Summer 2013 is probably an optimistic guess.

Anyone with more experience in the book publishing world should say something more meaningful to give us a better answer.

Also, even though the book was 'done' that doesn't mean he isn't spending a few more months re-writing (which he has admitted to doing a whole lot of already).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:21 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Work week is crazy.

Saubon, my guess is that Girgash is a Ketyai nation. TTT Glossary highlights Girgash as the only Fanim nation besides Kian in the Three Seas and it explicitly lists Nilnamesh as Ketyai - it doesn't mark Girgash's ethnicity but neither is it explicit for other nations. Also, the Satyothi seem to have a particular impact on the story whenever one shows up. Zeum is like two thirds the size of the Three Seas :shock: !

Nice rap, Curethan. Hope I can get back to freestylin' with the forum sharpish. Wilshire, I don't see us giving this up anytime soon, do you ;)?. Aside, even if this wasn't just good ol' fun and even if I didn't enjoy academics, many of us are probably in positions to publish papers (and have, in some cases) on Bakker's writing. Whatever statistic that suggests, minute or otherwise, will peak only after Bakker finishes the Second Apocalypse.

Plus... Measure is unceasing.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »
Measure, the slave replies, is not something accomplished and then forgotten. Old measure is merely grounds for the new.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2013, 05:10:38 pm »
Measure, the slave replies, is not something accomplished and then forgotten. Old measure is merely grounds for the new.

I've reread that scene a few times since having been reminded of where it was.  Of all Kellhus' great acts of Dunyainness, I'm not sure I like any more than the way Moenghus fucks w/ Siotha.