[TUC SPOILERS] Foreshadowing in the books.

• 52 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 02:10:11 pm »
he wrote,

THE DÛNYAIN

in the open space to the left of,

ANASÛRIMBOR KELLHUS

He held his quill above the ancient word for some time. Two drops of ink—tap-tap—marred the script. He watched them bleed outward, chasing a million infinitesimal veins, obliterating the word.

If it's "Dunyain", dunno. Could be about how Cnaiur kills Moenghus and Achamian is involved in the death of Koringhus.

Pretty sure it's "Dunyain" and, as Achamian says to Cnaiur, that word is just "Truth" in ancient Kuniuric - making that catch even more neat in my mind.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2018, 03:11:24 pm »
Pretty sure it's "Dunyain" and, as Achamian says to Cnaiur, that word is just "Truth" in ancient Kuniuric - making that catch even more neat in my mind.

What is in question here?  The quote is correct, it says "The Dûnyain."

Two drops of ink, one for Kellhus and one for Moënghus, which is what the two drops inspire Akka to do, write Moe's name.  So, the two drops seem to be one for each of Kellhus and Moe, following their Thousandfold Thoughts, destroying (and remaking) the world.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2018, 01:14:33 pm »

What is in question here?  The quote is correct, it says "The Dûnyain."

Two drops of ink, one for Kellhus and one for Moënghus, which is what the two drops inspire Akka to do, write Moe's name.  So, the two drops seem to be one for each of Kellhus and Moe, following their Thousandfold Thoughts, destroying (and remaking) the world.

Lol. As per Clozee's quotes, the two drops of ink "obliterate" one word. I believe Clozee's question was whether the word "obliterated" is "Dunyain" or "Kellhus?"
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
Lol. As per Clozee's quotes, the two drops of ink "obliterate" one word. I believe Clozee's question was whether the word "obliterated" is "Dunyain" or "Kellhus?"

Oh, whoops.  Well, I would say Kellhus isn't "ancient" and Anisurimbor isn't just a word, rather it must be Dunyain, since that isn't just a name, but really is an ancient word.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2018, 02:08:26 pm »
The ink obliterating 'truth' is a nice touch if you think about it that way :)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Clozee

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 11:16:22 am »

I believe Clozee's question was whether the word "obliterated" is "Dunyain" or "Kellhus?"

Yep.

I think the two drops have to stand for two people who go mad. I present the reason for this below.

But first, if they do have to stand for two people who go mad, then they can't stand for Kellhus and Moenghus, because Moenghus didn't go mad.

(Or did he? Was the thousandfold thought a concoction of Ajokli, that he infected both Moenghus and Kellhus with, with the ultimate goal of getting himself into the golden room? I like this theory but it doesn't seem compatible with what Bakker has said in Q&A's. Bakker said that that Kellhus "failed to execute on the Thousandfold Thought" because of Ajokli's influence.)

So why do they have to stand for two people that go mad? Because the ink drops bleed out in a similar way in both quotes. Again:

1:
... Each man, he explained, was a kind of hole in existence, a point where the Outside penetrated the world. He tapped one of the beads with his finger. It broke, staining the surrounding parchment. When the trials of the world broke men, he explained, the Outside leaked into the world.

This, he had said, was madness.

2:
... Two drops of ink—tap-tap—marred the script. He watched them bleed outward, chasing a million infinitesimal veins, obliterating the word.

So, which two people? I think the most obvious option is Achamian and Cnaiur. But I guess you could make the argument that one of them is Kellhus instead.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 01:02:56 am »

I believe Clozee's question was whether the word "obliterated" is "Dunyain" or "Kellhus?"

Yep.

I think the two drops have to stand for two people who go mad. I present the reason for this below.

But first, if they do have to stand for two people who go mad, then they can't stand for Kellhus and Moenghus, because Moenghus didn't go mad.

(Or did he? Was the thousandfold thought a concoction of Ajokli, that he infected both Moenghus and Kellhus with, with the ultimate goal of getting himself into the golden room? I like this theory but it doesn't seem compatible with what Bakker has said in Q&A's. Bakker said that that Kellhus "failed to execute on the Thousandfold Thought" because of Ajokli's influence.)

So why do they have to stand for two people that go mad? Because the ink drops bleed out in a similar way in both quotes. Again:

1:
... Each man, he explained, was a kind of hole in existence, a point where the Outside penetrated the world. He tapped one of the beads with his finger. It broke, staining the surrounding parchment. When the trials of the world broke men, he explained, the Outside leaked into the world.

This, he had said, was madness.

2:
... Two drops of ink—tap-tap—marred the script. He watched them bleed outward, chasing a million infinitesimal veins, obliterating the word.

So, which two people? I think the most obvious option is Achamian and Cnaiur. But I guess you could make the argument that one of them is Kellhus instead.
It seems to be Moënghus and Kellhus. Father and Son heralding the end of the World.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 12:04:45 pm »
Moenghus and Kellhus are my first instinct, but I'm not sure Moenghus makes sense.

I think the most objective answer is that Kellhus and Cnaiur are the two characters that go 'most mad'.

Cnaiur and Akka maybe, though I'm not sure Akka really 'goes mad' in the same way as the others.

Who else? Xerius and Conphas end up a bit nutty.

Xinemus definitely goes insane.
Speaking of guys who lose their eyes - Iyokus.

Maybe more esoteric, but The Three Seas entire, as well as Kian, under the tetelage of their respective Dunyain leaders, end up collectively going a bit mad.

The entire Scarlet Spires, or Eleäzaras himself, go mad.

There's really a lot of choices if you think about it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.