The Inverse Fire and Seswatha's Dreams

• 2 Replies

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:17 pm »
While re-reading part of TJE to find a reference for another post, I came across an interesting line from Akka where he explains to Mimara why Seswatha left the Mandata his dreams:

"...by suffering the First Apocalypse over and over, we had no choice but to war against the possibility of the Second."

Akka boils down the Dreams to a way to keep the troops in line.  A vision of something so terrible that you'd stop at nothing to prevent it.   Much like Inverse Fire.

It's an interesting irony that mortal enemies like the Consult and Mandate use such similar "mechanisms of control". 

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »
While re-reading part of TJE to find a reference for another post, I came across an interesting line from Akka where he explains to Mimara why Seswatha left the Mandata his dreams:

"...by suffering the First Apocalypse over and over, we had no choice but to war against the possibility of the Second."

Akka boils down the Dreams to a way to keep the troops in line.  A vision of something so terrible that you'd stop at nothing to prevent it.   Much like Inverse Fire.

It's an interesting irony that mortal enemies like the Consult and Mandate use such similar "mechanisms of control".
Yup.  I think in the false sun forum there's a long series of posts exploring this.  Did inverse prometheus steal inverse fire from the inverse god?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 06:07:34 pm »

nice!  it would be crazy if the inchoroi are warring against an even bigger 'end of ends.'  the inverse fire tells the story of the inchoroi before they made it to earwa?  a memory so traumatic it can even force an old nonman to get his shit together?

inverse fire = the ever-burning heart of Sil