[TUC SPOILERS] Quote from Pat

• 14 Replies

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: May 05, 2017, 03:29:06 pm »
As we might not get an excerpt due to TUC being essentially one long spoiler, here's a quote-of-the-day from Pat:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.ca/2017/05/quote-of-day_5.html

He was old, aye, so ancient as to be broken into multitudes by the Ages. Glorious Iskiak, Spear-Bearer to mighty Sil, the great King After-the-Fall. The legendary Sarpanur, celebrated King-Healer, the great Killer-of-Hells. The infamous Sin-Pharion, reviled Plague-Bearer, the Soul-Most-Hated ...

Aurang, the accursed Horde-General.

He remembered their hallowed vessel faltering upon the shoals of the Promised World, and the Fall, the Inertial Inversion Field piercing the crust to the pith, gouging the landscape, heaving it out upon a cataclysmic hoop, raising mountains to retard their descent ... just not enough.

He remembered the Weal that followed, how Sil had rallied the Holy Swarm from the brink, taught them how to prosecute war with the remnants of their once-dread Arsenal. Sil had been the one to show them how they might still save their eternal souls!

He remembered enough.

Some observations:

- Yea, an Inchoroi POV!

- "Inertial Inversion Field"?  *Love* seeing Bakker go sci-fi!  This answers why the "cataclysmic impact of the Ark somehow preceded the Ark, that the great golden vessel dropped no quicker than an apple into the flash and upheaval of an earlier, far more tumultuous strike."

- "Iskiak" sounds a bit like Yitzhak/Isaac.  Yeah, I went there.

- "Holy Swarm" is a really interesting self-description.  Can't wait to see Kellhus debate the Inchoroi!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:42:46 pm by profgrape »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:57:30 pm »
I would imagine that Iskiak is his actual Inchoroi name, or at least his Inchoroi "title."

Sarpanur, Sin-Pharion, and Aurang are monikers from other languages.

My best guess though is that Iskiak is just another moniker though, not his "true name."  Then again, maybe they don't even have those really.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:02:11 pm »
Glorious Iskiak, Spear-Bearer to mighty Sil, the great King After-the-Fall.

To me that reads like its his favorite name. In this mind, the most honorable title/name he's had in all the ages. Also quite possibly his original, or at the very least, a name given by other Inchoroi.

The other's, I agee, sound like names given by or derived for other species.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 04:03:00 pm »
Holy Swarm.  We're going full Starcraft, bby.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 04:22:21 pm »
If Iskiak is Issac, that furthers the theory that the Inchoroi are the future "us".
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »
Search zergling on this forum and I guarantee you'll find at least one comment comparing sranc and lings.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:31:11 pm »
Search zergling on this forum and I guarantee you'll find at least one comment comparing sranc and lings.

Taken literally, "Holy Swarm" might explain how there were so many Inchoroi on the Ark before it crashed on Earwa.  We've speculated that their base form is different, something small.  Maybe they're hyper-evolved insects?  Maybe Wutteat's statement about how the Inchoroi would "descend as locusts upon world after world" is more literal than we think?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:38:33 pm by profgrape »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:47:04 pm »
I seen Pat complained about this being the merest fraction he's seen of the Inchoroi 225 pages in. See, I don't expect a whole lot really, a little here, a little there. And, you know what? That's how I like my Inchies. In moderation.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 08:59:32 pm »
I seen Pat complained about this being the merest fraction he's seen of the Inchoroi 225 pages in. See, I don't expect a whole lot really, a little here, a little there. And, you know what? That's how I like my Inchies. In moderation.
I am expecting much Inchoroi myself,I mean the book is called THE UNHOLY CONSULT, but by page 225, the GO had probably just reached Golgotterath and the battle have just began. The complaint would be valid if he was, say on page 400 ( out of 460) and still no Inchoroi.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 09:19:00 pm »
Wouldn't it be awesome if Bakker has managed to craft a fiction so diabolically powerful that, upon reading it, the reader goes completely insane, as do the readers of the infamous play, "The King In Yellow"? I devoutly await a post from Pat that is incoherently lunatic. Like my posts.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 03:25:12 am »
profgrape posted the second of Pat's "Quote/Excerpt" bits but here's a link to the first and to the third, the newest he posted tonight. The first is an omnipresent POV that shows off Bakker's writing and the third looks to be a Mimara POV from the second half of the book - based on where Pat says he is in his read.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
On a totally different note, while I'm trying to preorder the book:
Is it just me, or are there only Paperbacks available for preorder? I'm a bit annoyed by the lack of consistency in what to expect from one book to the next: All books I have are preorders, and I currently have quite the mosaic in the bookcase. It's a variation both in format and size.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 06:59:08 pm »
Lol. A sad reality :(.

I just looked at amazon.com/.ca/.co.uk and both .com/.ca are selling hardcover and .co.uk is selling kindle and paperback. That actually should be a huge boon to Orbit, this time around, as they have the first release date by a week and a concurrent ebook release, which was also fumbled last year.

(EDIT: I guess my "lols" don't distinguish themselves in writing but that was more a sad, resigned laugh ;).)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 07:01:44 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 07:24:55 pm »
Ah, Amazon.de is selling both. Well, let's go German then  ;D
Thanks for checking, Madness.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 07:31:35 pm »
Lol, no worries, Monkhound. Good to know about .de.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer