• PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2015, 12:41:59 pm »
Finished Forever War on Saturday evening. This was an odd one.

Part Militaristic Sci Fi and part social commentary. I liked the militaristic element - specifically that Haldeman took into account time dilation as a factor of the war. The funny thing being even at the "end" of the war there are probably still pockets of time dislocated war in action. So I like the militaristic part.

I did not care for the social commentary which seemed to take the tack of: things only get worse as time progresses and the Golden Age of the past is something to strive for. Specifically Haldeman seemed to focus on the homo/hetero social developments of the future - which if I am being honest didn't seem to make any logical sense as a reactionary policy to external pressures.

The ending left me with questions which in this case was a good thing - I will definitely read the sequels (the version I have has all 3 books combined and is the complete version).

Anyway so I am making good progress with my target.

Next up: Daniel Abraham: The Dagger and the Coin #1: The Dragons Path.

PS: Watch this space for my upcoming BlogSpot.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2015, 07:00:25 pm »

Part Militaristic Sci Fi and part social commentary. I liked the militaristic element - specifically that Haldeman took into account time dilation as a factor of the war. The funny thing being even at the "end" of the war there are probably still pockets of time dislocated war in action. So I like the militaristic part.

I did not care for the social commentary which seemed to take the tack of: things only get worse as time progresses and the Golden Age of the past is something to strive for. Specifically Haldeman seemed to focus on the homo/hetero social developments of the future - which if I am being honest didn't seem to make any logical sense as a reactionary policy to external pressures.

The ending left me with questions which in this case was a good thing - I will definitely read the sequels (the version I have has all 3 books combined and is the complete version).

Anyway so I am making good progress with my target.

Next up: Daniel Abraham: The Dagger and the Coin #1: The Dragons Path.

PS: Watch this space for my upcoming BlogSpot.

BlogSpot!

as crazy as the homo/hetero thing was, i found it entertaining :P

really liked Dagger and Coin but got derailed after book2 -- need to finish!  putting banking in an epic fantasy story seems weird, but Abraham seems to make it work

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2015, 08:38:44 pm »
Just finished Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities.  It's pretty short, but it was a good read, it has lots of ideas jammed into it.  It reminds me of Lem's Imaginary Magnitude (which is a collection of "introductions" to books that are not yet written).

I'll probably read another of Calvino's books, but not sure which one yet.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2015, 06:22:58 pm »
If on a winters night a traveler

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2015, 10:36:03 pm »
H did you finish Niccolò Machiavelli: The Prince?

I havent started another boook yet.

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2015, 02:34:47 pm »

The thing that really stuck with me from my reading of Forever War was the time dilation. It's one of the few books I've read that I felt like it was handled appropriately, especially the fact that the war is finished but still going on as you mentioned.

As far as the homo/heterosexual relationships, I had just chalked it up to confined living spaces lol. I didn't really give it much more thought than that when I was reading it. Admittedly though, I was caught up in the time effects.

Also, I hadn't even realized there were sequels. I had thought it was a stand-alone.

At some point I'll throw in an update on what I've managed to read since my last post, but as I'm thinking about it, I've quickly realized that I strayed aimlessly from my initial to-read list. If I finished half of those I'd be surprised

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2015, 01:10:34 pm »
There is also a graphic novel based on the "Forever War", illustrated by Marvano: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War_%28comics%29. Actually, I think that was how my husband got introduced to the novel (he's still a great fan of the comic).
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2015, 01:43:21 pm »
H did you finish Niccolò Machiavelli: The Prince?

I havent started another boook yet.

Nah, I kind of gave up on it, I just was not finding myself all that interested in reading it.

I did, however, just finish The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin.  Pretty good, I wasn't in love with the writing style, per se, but the story is interesting.  Sort of Bakker-esque, in the sense that there is a lot of backstory hinted at of which we are only presented facets of and all that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:08:54 pm by H »
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2015, 12:28:59 am »
I did, however, just finish The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin
I got that as a gift and it is in my to read pile. I wasn't sure how far down I was going to put it, but if you give it the good word it might get bumped up a few

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2015, 10:07:24 am »
I did, however, just finish The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin
I got that as a gift and it is in my to read pile. I wasn't sure how far down I was going to put it, but if you give it the good word it might get bumped up a few

Well, it was 512 pages and I read it in a day and a half, so it certainly kept me interested.  I'm pretty tough on books, so I'd give it a sold very good, but possibly just shy of great.  It's probably the best new book I've read in quite a while.

It's been three days since I finished it and I'm still puzzling together some aspects, so to me that is a mark of something good.  I bought a paper copy too and I'll be buying the whole series as they come out.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »
Finished Bonehunters. That makes 7 books read this year.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:06:29 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »
Just finished Blindsight by Peter Watts.  Pretty good, interesting, all that.  I'm going to try to sequel next, but my reading flurry may be spent...

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2015, 09:25:36 am »
I am almost through Paul Kearneys Monarchies of God series, and I have to say it is quite brilliant. I never thought I would enjoy military fantasy, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I thought of the movie Braveheart a lot during this series, especially one of the characters(Corfe) is almost a mirror image of William Wallace in Braveheart.

I highly recommend this series to any fans of military fantasy. I can also mention that the fantasy aspect is very toned down.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »
I am almost through Paul Kearneys Monarchies of God series, and I have to say it is quite brilliant. I never thought I would enjoy military fantasy, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I thought of the movie Braveheart a lot during this series, especially one of the characters(Corfe) is almost a mirror image of William Wallace in Braveheart.

I highly recommend this series to any fans of military fantasy. I can also mention that the fantasy aspect is very toned down.

I wasn't sure what to read next, but now I think I might have found it, thanks!

I finished Echopraxia by Peter Watts, a 'sequal' to Blindsight.  It was pretty good, mostly more of the same though.