H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 13, 2019, 02:56:02 pm »
Well, in this case, I really don't mind where they went with the plot, but how they got there was really ham-handed.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2019, 05:48:37 pm »
TH commentary on Sunday's episode ...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:51:17 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2019, 06:35:18 pm »
Well, I liked that when the "thing" that Daenerys had so hinged her identity on was threatened, she dropped the "false veneer" of principles and revealed herself no different than any other tyrant.

What I didn't like is how they go there.  Or, rather, just arrived via dues ex machina really.  Actually, maybe not even that tenuously at all, but just spontaneously, as if from no where.

At the very least, they should have actually shown people rallying to Jon calling off the attack and standing down.  That would have at least been an actual catalyst to spur her to force the action, invoke the fear she feels she had to, to enforce her will over Jon.

Instead we just got nothing.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2019, 11:04:59 pm »
I just keep thinking CONTRIVED! CONTRIVED! CONTRIVED! No one is thinking! GAH!

Cleganebowl was excellent though. That was the one good thing. Felt ZERO for Cersei/Jaime. I would have preferred it if Euron was the one who got away.

I miss the Night King. >:(

Oh, and those who've read Reaper's Gale will know what I'm talking about
(click to show/hide)

Makes me wonder if D/D read Malazan and if they have, STAY AWAY FROM MAKING IT INTO TV!!!11
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:09:27 pm by Dora Vee »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2019, 02:41:31 am »
I dig the ending. Good call.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2019, 08:48:23 am »
I've heard about what happened, and it WOULD have been satisfying if the writing wasn't so damned sloppy and well, forced. Honestly, Bran wouldn't be a bad choice at all because I think he would be unbiased and very hard to shake emotionally, if at all. It helps that he as the knowledge of the Three Eyed Ravens.

The one good thing was Drogon melting the throne. The Dany fans are certainly angered. It almost made me turn on Sansa, and I've always liked her more than Dany. Yoiks. Still, Dany was done dirty. I want the Night King back, damnit!

At least #No one sits on the Iron throne technically won. That's the one I voted for! LOL!
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2019, 12:09:55 pm »
I don't know, it isn't really that the ending was bad, but it also wasn't very good and really had nothing interesting in it to me...

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2019, 03:10:50 pm »
Boring episode.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 20, 2019, 05:57:48 pm »
I'm with Beard some, it was a descent ending - but I agree, too much was skipped over, but I guess it had to be to end the thing in 6 episodes ( which was really 8 given the episodes were 20 minutes longer than normal ). Anyways, it went war path, I would've preferred a political path of espionage. I'm no writer, a real writer could cook something up with the effect of Arya assassinating Serse and taking her image ( we, the viewers don't know at first, just confused at some of Cerse's decisions ) and Snow taking the remaining dragon as steed ( I was hoping the throne melting scene, while very cool, would've doust him too, but he lives since he has the dragon blood line ). In the end, H is right, wasn't interesting enough and not enough good writing. And yeah, I miss the Dead King too :).

EDIT: I did like how the writers had me rooting for Dany and the dragons and then flipped it on me when they destroyed the city. So something was done well with the ending.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #249 on: May 20, 2019, 07:18:20 pm »
Man, I was about #teamSansa (I honestly still believe that she is a better ruling Queen than Dany) until she basically dismissed the sacrifices that DANY made. For slaves/change in Essos and for the North. She was on the field FIGHTING. I still do love Sansa and always will, but right now, I feel the way about her as I felt about Proyas when he was nasty to Achamian. It'll pass though and I'll be more rational. Especially since I'm most likely mad at the GARBAGE WRITING and taking it out on her. :/ That being said, I'm fine with Northern independence as neither side needs each other at all. Not anymore.

The only thing is that the Iron Islands had wanted to same thing and Bran being who he is probably knows that the Kingdoms will divide again. Probably knows that maybe Dany will be back. Drogon took her somewhere...maybe to Kinvara? What happened with Dany was bullshit. >:(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 07:21:05 pm by Dora Vee »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2019, 09:58:31 pm »
crossover, former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping had a huge rant about GoT on his mixed martial art podcast.

It's actually going on so long i'm like right Mike i know preaching to the choir, talk MMA now please.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 10, 2019, 12:23:31 am »
I broke down and watch Season 8, and tbh, im not as upset at how things ended up working out.

It makes plenty of sense that Arya kills the NK. Matter of fact, you know hindsight and all, shouldve seen it coming when she joined then left the Faceless Men.

Just read an article that Jon does indeed fill the role of AA. By killing Dany he indeed does kill the darkness that would spread across the land. After burning KL, I think we all agree should wouldve just went North and done the same. Even the way in which he killed her fits into the whole prophecy.

Dany becoming the Tyrant? No question.

I mean, the story-telling of it continued to suck, but i dont see where any of it doesnt make sense.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,