H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:38:25 am »
So, the Slog is over, probably a little earlier than we really excepted, but a pace is a pace.  This does give us plenty of time to ruminate on what we've found and a chance to reread some Atrocity Tales before TGO is out.

I think that overall, a pretty strong theme of the Gods involvement in Earwa is made clear throughout WLW, even more so than TJE.  So, does that trend continue in TGO?  Only time will tell.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 03:03:04 pm »
Thanks, H 8). You did great leading The Trudge after Camlost perished. And appreciate that you did WLW by chapter.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:37:21 pm »
Thanks, H 8). You did great leading The Trudge after Camlost perished. And appreciate that you did WLW by chapter.

Just for the record, I voted to do all of them like that,  8)

The good thing is that this leaves us plenty of time to get everyone caught up on Atrocity Tales before we do a Cast about them.  Since I know I'll be doing most of the talking about 4 Revelations, it'd probably be good if someone else talked about False Sun and Knife...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:27:35 pm »
So, the Slog is over, probably a little earlier than we really excepted, but a pace is a pace.  This does give us plenty of time to ruminate on what we've found and a chance to reread some Atrocity Tales before TGO is out.

I think that overall, a pretty strong theme of the Gods involvement in Earwa is made clear throughout WLW, even more so than TJE.  So, does that trend continue in TGO?  Only time will tell.

I kind of think it has to.  That's one of the biggest takeaway's I've had from the Slog: the Gods are way more involved than I originally thought. 

The big thing I'm curious about is whether we'll learn anything about what the Gods are.  We have examples like the "God" who comes to Angeshrael (likely an Inchoroi) to Yatwer's viewpoint to Meppa's claim that the Hundred are Ciphrang.   Will TGO shed light on this or will it wait until TUC or even, TSTSNBN?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 05:51:42 pm »

I kind of think it has to.  That's one of the biggest takeaway's I've had from the Slog: the Gods are way more involved than I originally thought. 

The big thing I'm curious about is whether we'll learn anything about what the Gods are.  We have examples like the "God" who comes to Angeshrael (likely an Inchoroi) to Yatwer's viewpoint to Meppa's claim that the Hundred are Ciphrang.   Will TGO shed light on this or will it wait until TUC or even, TSTSNBN?

Pre-WLW reread, I was convinced that who Angeshraël saw was not Husyelt, but Aurang.  Now, I could see it either way, even though my money would still be on Aurang.

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:55:20 pm »

Although I am 100% convinced that Yatwer has a heavy hand in how things are progressing, I am not at all convinced that we are seeing the involvement of any other gods. Like I said in the TJE cast, Bakker uses a lot of hyperbole, and most of the evidence of involvement by gods other than Yatwer can just as easily be explained by common Bakkerism.
That being said, I totally agree that the Inchoroi have been messing with human theology for at least 4000 years, and if they gave men the Tusk, I think you could argue that they've been messing with humans since before the Breaking of the Gates.

H, I really appreciate all the hard work you put into the WLW Slog. It's kept things moving nicely
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:06:00 pm »
Although I am 100% convinced that Yatwer has a heavy hand in how things are progressing, I am not at all convinced that we are seeing the involvement of any other gods. Like I said in the TJE cast, Bakker uses a lot of hyperbole, and most of the evidence of involvement by gods other than Yatwer can just as easily be explained by common Bakkerism.

True, it's plausible that other Gods are involved, just in minor ways, since they are less powerful than Yatwer.  Of course, it's also possible that they don't really care.

That being said, I totally agree that the Inchoroi have been messing with human theology for at least 4000 years, and if they gave men the Tusk, I think you could argue that they've been messing with humans since before the Breaking of the Gates.

Well, from what Scott said, the Tusk was edited and given to the Ketyai before the Breaking of the Gates.  I'm still of the mind that Husyelt wanting exactly what the edited Tusk wanted too is just too much of a coincidence, but I guess it is possible.

H, I really appreciate all the hard work you put into the WLW Slog. It's kept things moving nicely

Not really any hard work, haha.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 09:37:53 pm »
Though Yatwer is indeed the God who we actively see working against Kellhus, we have several mentions of the Gods turning against him. Wether they play an active role as Yatwer does, I'm not so certain. It does seem that Kelmommas's actions are indeed hurtful to the dynasty. But, wether that's Ajokli's involvement, I'm not certain. I do think we'll continue to see the Gods play a role in the next two installments.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 02:16:56 am »
Though Yatwer is indeed the God who we actively see working against Kellhus, we have several mentions of the Gods turning against him. Wether they play an active role as Yatwer does, I'm not so certain. It does seem that Kelmommas's actions are indeed hurtful to the dynasty. But, wether that's Ajokli's involvement, I'm not certain. I do think we'll continue to see the Gods play a role in the next two installments.

And don't forget about Anagke's involvement with Kellhus.  And the Solitary God with Meppa.  I expect a plethora of God-on-Man action in the concluding volumes.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 06:39:09 pm »
I know wondering if the hundred taking active roles signifies Kellhus is coming close to the Absolute. This stuff never happens explicitly in the first trilogy or the atrcoity tales. If the task of the Dunyain is meaning and purpose, to awaken the God, as Moenghus put it, then it would make sense that these things are starting to literally manifest.