mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
I've heard that Bakker fans should like Erickson books, so I tried it.  I liked the first one, rich world, big things going on, lots left to tell.  The ending came sudden and contrived but I was ready for book 2.  Could not finish.  Found the characters blank and their motivations insubstantial or unbelievable.  But I still hear how awesome Erickson is!  I'm going to give him another try because I feel like I must be wrong.

I don't mind if a book is demanding, heck that's why I like Bakker!  Where the fuck is a nice full description of a sranc?  Does it ever happen or is the reader just supposed to pick up a little here and there forever???  I don't mind.  Like it.  Like 'hard' books.  Like Gormenghast, whatever.  Like 'easy' books.  Like Harry Potter.  WHY CAN'T I LIKE MALZAHN??????

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »
The third book a memory of ice , is in my opinion the best book in the series. the jumping about is a bit weird, the 3rd book follows on from the 1st and 4th one from the 2nd. With the 5th one taking place before any of the others in another continent, the 5th book is my 2nd favourite one.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:23:32 pm »
So, should I be patient or read out of order?  Book 3 first?

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:10 pm »
I've said it here before, but I also gave up on Erikson.  Halfway through book 6 I put it down and never looked back.  Maybe I'm too dumb to get it, or just didn't have the patience for the Stephen King-like epic droning.  I don't know.  I do know Kruppe is one of the worst characters I've ever read (imo), and that may have put me off.  So, I guess I also don't get Erikson, which is ironic since one of the reasons I picked up Bakker so long ago was his (Erikson's) endorsement of TDTCB.  Go figure.
No whistling on the slog!

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »
I am also an Ericson quitter. I just could not commit to something as enormously huge as this. It would have to be insanely good or the word of god, if I am going to commit to something like this. I am not referring to the bible, but the factual, proven, Dawkins style, word of God. Ten books, 1000 pages each, where every word guaranteed an orgasm would be worth the commitment. Sadly Ericson was only good + IMO.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »

Best to read in order as there is some overlap. I'm not a huge fan of his but memories of ice is a good book imo.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:19:18 pm »

Best to read in order as there is some overlap. I'm not a huge fan of his but memories of ice is a good book imo.

I agree, I liked Memories of Ice, and also Deadhouse Gates.  Quick Ben and Kalam are two of my favorite characters still.  Bauchelain and Korbal Broach were kick-ass in MoI.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 09:26:20 pm »
I had the biggest bookcrush on Sorry back in the day

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:24 pm »
Huh...weird. It seems i am quite alone on this forum with my appreciation for Erikson (<- that is how he is spelled, by the way ;) ). He is complex, epic and can write. His series is, so far, overall, my favourite series. It has its weaknesses (which series does not, after all) but the sheer scope and complexity is epic.
If you are into Bakker because of his philosophies, then Erikson might not be to your taste (his is quite different...more positive, all in all)...but if you are into TSA because of scope, complexity and/or worldbuilding...i can not see how you can not like Erikson.
He does make you work though...sometimes work hard. In some way harder than Bakker (not because he is more intellectual or anything...just because his storytelling is even more...avaricious ... with details than Scott's)...but it is so worth it. Well imo, anyway.

I agree that Book 3 is the best of the series. I loved GotM and also had some difficulties with book 2.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:32 pm »
I wouldn't say you're alone, Kellais.  I definitely appreciate Erikson.  As you said, the world-building is astounding.  And ten Bible-length books is no mean feat.  And as I mentioned, some of the characters are still in my mind years after I stopped reading.  I just ended up not liking it very much.   :-\  I claim full responsibility for my decision to put it down before the end.  lol

Francis Buck

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 02:18:44 am »
I'm intimidated by this series, but I definitely intend on starting it someday. I suspect it'll be after I go a long while without reading ANY fantasy, and then one day I'll get the itch and be like, "Yup, it's time."

That's how I imagine it anyway.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:34:25 am »
Kellais, sorry for that rather stupid post earlier :P. I actually loved the first book, but the second was a drag IMO, and what I mean by to much of a commitment, is that I have so much to read. Fiction and non-fiction. It would take me over a year(at least) to finish all ten books, and it just wasn`t mindblowing enough for me to spend so much time on.
I have huge respect for the effort Erikson has put in on this, and maybe I will catch up with him later on ;)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:49:28 am »
But I still hear how awesome Erickson is!

I imagine some people must feel like way about Bakker.

but I was ready for book 2.  Could not finish.

Book 2 is one of my favorite fantasy sequences ever.

WHY CAN'T I LIKE MALZAHN??????

I think this thread is hilarious. Everyone noting when they dropped out.

With the 5th one taking place before any of the others in another continent, the 5th book is my 2nd favourite one.

I don't know why, themerchant, but this is where Erikson lost me... Midnight Tides. I so want to go back one day.

I am not referring to the bible, but the factual, proven, Dawkins style, word of God. Ten books, 1000 pages each, where every word guaranteed an orgasm would be worth the commitment.

What the fuck. That is amazing. Dawkins argued that God would ultimately be hedonistic, though? What is up with him?

I wouldn't say you're alone, Kellais. I definitely appreciate Erikson.  As you said, the world-building is astounding.  And ten Bible-length books is no mean feat.  And as I mentioned, some of the characters are still in my mind years after I stopped reading.  I just ended up not liking it very much.   :-\  I claim full responsibility for my decision to put it down before the end.  lol

These are my thoughts. Bold especially so.

"Yup, it's time."

That's how I imagine it anyway.

And we never heard from FB again ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 09:20:55 pm »
I recently finished the first book, and I'm about 50 pages into Deadhouse Gates now. 

I did not love the first book, but I was decently entertained, and just about everyone says it gets better with the next few books, so I felt like going on.  But I wonder about it too as I have a hard time envisioning not getting burned out with the size of the whole thing. 

My biggest criticism of book 1 is the virtually non-existent characterization. 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 06:53:26 pm »
DG is still one of my favorite fantasy books ever on its own.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer