Neuropath Kindle version (amazon.com)

• 21 Replies

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:59:16 am »
Has anyone bought the Kindle version of Neuropath from the amazon US store? Because I just did and... didn't this book have sections written entirely in italics preceding every chapter? Including at the very beginning of the book? Because I seem to be missing all of them.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:23:37 pm »
The story does include italicized sections and, as far as I recall, one of them does precede the first chapter. It's definitely not every chapter though.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »
Okay, thanks. But I just skimmed through the whole book and my version doesn't have any of them. I also recall there being an afterward in the paperback which I can't find here either.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:48:20 pm »
Seriously, what the hell? Those were my favorite bits. (Huh? Does this forum not have a temper tantrum emoji? Man... this has to be the worst day ever.)

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:45 pm »
That's ridiculous, I can't think of a reason why'd they do that...

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:00:01 pm »
Yeah, that’s what I get for paying for something when I could’ve just downloaded it for free. Funny, I pirated a copy of it today and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it. What a joke.

It’s not really a big deal but out of curiosity I emailed Bakker about it yesterday but he hasn’t responded.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 05:38:56 pm »
Seriously, what the hell? Those were my favorite bits. (Huh? Does this forum not have a temper tantrum emoji? Man... this has to be the worst day ever.)

Lol, sorry, Nskoghar.

Yeah, that’s what I get for paying for something when I could’ve just downloaded it for free. Funny, I pirated a copy of it today and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it. What a joke.

Yeah, this is a shame. I don't think even publisher's ponder about "driving people to download" when they don't put care into their work, even an e-book...

Terrible.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Great Scald

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:17:19 am »
Weird.

My paper copy of Neuropath definitely includes the serial killer's internal monologues in italics in between the actual chapters.

(AFAIK, he mostly talks about how he really likes to fuck the meat.)

Francis Buck

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:21:22 pm »
I have the Kindle version as well, and I never even knew this stuff existed until now. Did they reveal important information or was it more just like, window-dressing/tone and minor character development?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:36:22 pm »
It develops his character a bit more, so that when you find out who the murderer is, it seems more relevant to the story. I don't recall anything vital being revealed, but its certainly part of the book, and beyond ridiculous that it isn't there.

Was Overlook responsible for the electronic conversion of their book? I'd guess yes, and this kind of quality issue seems typical of them.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

pail

• Nascenti
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 12:12:12 am »
This isn't an issue limited to the Kindle edition. I have the Tor mass market edition, first printing, ISBN 978-0-7653-6157-8, and all the chapter-opening italicized sections are missing. I only learned from reading this thread that they're also missing from the USA Kindle edition, and was surprised. I could imagine a plausible motive for removing content from a physical version if it reduced printing costs, but why would it be removed from a digital edition? Censorship?

I'm curious which other editions might be missing the italicized sections. If everyone posted which edition they own and whether the italicized sections and afterword are included, we could put together a list of which editions are complete and which aren't. We know two of the Tor (USA) editions are incomplete - the mass market paperback, and the Kindle e-book. What about the Tor hardcover?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 12:32:15 am »
That's some kind of bullshit. Why in the world would words be removed from a book. It destroys much of that storyline.

I'll have to I back and check but I'm pretty sure I have a 1st edition 1st print of either the US or Canadian hardcover.. I'll check mine when I get back home, but I know its complete.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:34:41 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 10:49:25 am »
This isn't an issue limited to the Kindle edition. I have the Tor mass market edition, first printing, ISBN 978-0-7653-6157-8, and all the chapter-opening italicized sections are missing. I only learned from reading this thread that they're also missing from the USA Kindle edition, and was surprised. I could imagine a plausible motive for removing content from a physical version if it reduced printing costs, but why would it be removed from a digital edition? Censorship?

As they say, never assume malicious intent if something can be due to plain stupidity. I guess someone just messed up their job - sent incomplete manuscript which then got printed. I remember a situation in which a publisher printed a book missing one chapter, which nobody noticed during the editing, proofreading and DTP stages. When readers started to complain, they put the missing chapter on the publisher's page for download.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 11:10:24 am »
I'm curious which other editions might be missing the italicized sections. If everyone posted which edition they own and whether the italicized sections and afterword are included, we could put together a list of which editions are complete and which aren't. We know two of the Tor (USA) editions are incomplete - the mass market paperback, and the Kindle e-book. What about the Tor hardcover?

I would have whichever paperbacks of Canadian Penguin Neuropaths. I've probably owned... four or five of them in my life - one of them might have been trade paperback size. All of them had the italicized sections and the afterword.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, pail :).

As they say, never assume malicious intent if something can be due to plain stupidity.

Such a great sentiment.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 11:23:33 am »
I wonder if Bakker is aware of this.