• 7 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 03:41:38 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
So, looking at the map on the new site: http://www.rscottbakker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/EARWA2.Bare-1.jpg

What's with the circles?

Now I know you might say asteroids.

But isn't that rather alot? And they seem to have created land mass in the sea - that's not usual behaviour for an asteroid, is it?

Seem to have two rings with golgoterath? I'm presuming the smaller one is created by the ship...but I dunno? Why are there two rings?

Wassup, bro?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:41:45 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
Yeah, there are an awful lot of impact craters there. Makes me wonder if the Inchoroi were the only aliens to crash on Earwa.

And they seem to have created land mass in the sea - that's not usual behaviour for an asteroid, is it?
Since both the circular archipelagos are situated in what ought to be relatively shallow waters on a continental shelf, it seems plausible to me. But I'm not a geologist.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:41:51 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
well inchoroi=1 crash landing, the cunoroi also came to earwa right?  could the halaroi be another wave of immigration?  What about the 'mother tongue' mentioned in the back of TDTCB that even the cunoroi cannot decipher?  what about the peoples of Eanna, another wave of migration?

or were there more than one crash landing by the inchoroi and only the golgotteranth one really survived?

or perhaps it just means that history repeats itself?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:22 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Nice observation there. A bit.. coincidental don't you think? My first thought was maybe more inchoroi ships have 'landed' elsewhere. That would be sweet.

I cross referenced your map there, which is from bakker's site, with the maps in the other books (specifically TDTCB, TWP, TJE, WLW).  There are a few things worth noting.

1) The circles differ from series to series as follows:
In PoN series, Golgotterath is not depicted as inside a circle at all, in AE it is within a ring of mountains.
The small ring of mountains in the south east only exist in PON, and are entirely absent in AE.
2) Golgotterath is never shown as within two circles, even in the zoomed in map in AE.
3) None of the provided maps in the backs of the books show that northern-most circle seenn in your picture. At first glance I thought this was because none of the book maps go far enough North, but this is not the case. At least the bottom of the Northern ring should exist in both maps.
4) NOt about the circles but I thought it was odd, in your map there is no marker for Sakarpas :/.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:29 pm »
Quote from: jogrady
Caldera?
cironj for sure

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:37 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
the inchoroi do have oyster faces...

maybe that's what that roi suffix means in the cunoroi language, people who crash landed on this rock.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:43 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Maybe planet Earwa is where the Inchies originally came from.
The craters are from where their cities took off (see whasname the blind's prophecy) and they just forgot their point of origin during their star rape trek.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 03:42:52 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Or even where they came from moved...

I was idly wondering whether to tweet about the circles to the devils chirp?

I wonder if they are maybe topos related - the second, larger ring around golgoterath generated by the sheer horror created in it. And I mean bad ass topos, not just where the vulgar holy armour was slaughtered. Though two being over a sea kinda of makes me have to make up some kinda of underwater peoples (that the morality machine of Earwa finds important) to make up for it.