Dunyain Weakness

• 94 Replies

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
The Cishaurim believe that their sorcery is the Water of Indara, but Kelhous's explanation indicates that's not how their sorcery functions.

At this point, either/neither explanation is still possibly false?

Sure.  We don't know for sure.  Kelhous's explanation is logically consistent and Titirga's experience seems to support it, so it's likely to be mostly accurate, but we don't know for sure.

instead cured of his blindness

Always wondered about this. I like locke's thought about vitamin deficiency but I do wonder if there isn't another in-world context that explains it.

Sorcery seems to be pretty useless for healing (except fpr cauterizing wounds) and vitamin deficiency blindness (as opposed to night blindness) appears to be permanent.  Cortical blindness, which can be congenital, is caused by blood flow problems in the brain and some victims do recover their sight over time.  So it is possible Titirga suffered from this, regained his sight, and then was train by Schoolmen.  A brain injury might also explain his fearsome rages.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2016, 02:37:06 pm »
The Cishaurim believe that their sorcery is the Water of Indara, but Kelhous's explanation indicates that's not how their sorcery functions.

Sure.  We don't know for sure.  Kelhous's explanation is logically consistent and Titirga's experience seems to support it, so it's likely to be mostly accurate, but we don't know for sure.

I guess I need to do some rereading and check Bakker's latest Author Q&A answers more closely before I can reconcile myself to the context ;).

Sorcery seems to be pretty useless for healing (except fpr cauterizing wounds) and vitamin deficiency blindness (as opposed to night blindness) appears to be permanent.  Cortical blindness, which can be congenital, is caused by blood flow problems in the brain and some victims do recover their sight over time.  So it is possible Titirga suffered from this, regained his sight, and then was train by Schoolmen.  A brain injury might also explain his fearsome rages.

Cool thoughts.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2016, 06:54:04 pm »

Possibly both, even.

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2016, 11:02:09 pm »
I think Kellhus's explanation is probably wrong - the Cish blind themselves so as to concentrate on what should be, not what is.

That's the contradiction regular sorcery runs into - that they want to change what is, but they want to change it in order to suit other things which just are.

Insightful, +1.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2016, 01:20:03 pm »
His stain is probably reduced because he has better recollection of the other angles and so his sorcery more closely resembles creation. 
I like this, and it goes well with Callan's

I think Kellhus's explanation is probably wrong - the Cish blind themselves so as to concentrate on what should be, not what is.

That's the contradiction regular sorcery runs into - that they want to change what is, but they want to change it in order to suit other things which just are.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:21:51 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.