[TUC SPOILERS] Walter and Redeagl on TUC...

• 44 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 02:51:28 pm »
Aye and only moved a chapter since then.  Getting dense.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 06:47:05 pm »
I've finished it now.

It was wild!!

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 07:04:17 pm »
I've finished it now.

It was wild!!

Wild how?

and

Was it worth the rush to Glasgow, the binge-reading and bathing...?

and

How do you rate it compared to the other novels?

;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:07:04 pm by Hiro »
Mystery denotes darkness

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 08:03:05 pm »
I'll let you find out for yourself :)

Yeah well worth it, not even started the Glossary yet :D

It's the best out of the 4 in TAE. I hesitate to say it's the best one so far in the series as i'm not as familiar with it as others, but I think it might be my favourite.

I need a re-read. :p

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:22 pm »
Coolness, just more grease for the anticipation gears. ;)
Mystery denotes darkness

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 02:16:31 am »
Way to go merch!  It was definitely my favorite.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 03:12:41 am »
I'm not going to discuss too much atm though. next week everyone who really wants and can afford a copy will be able to get the kindle version.

I know what i'm like with spoilers, sometimes you can't help yourself clicking. So not going to put anything out there till next week.

I AM going to re-read it though and see how it reads with the benefit of already being read.

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 11:30:12 pm »
Holy shit.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 02:32:28 am »
I've read it as well but I haven't posted anything because I haven't finished the glossary, I'm only up to f or something.

I have had the inverse reaction I had to great ordeal. With great ordeal I was ecstatic for quite a while about everything but then gradually came off that high and am now a bit more critical of the book. Though I'm currently listening to TGO on audio and it is really quite excellent.

My reaction to TUC is more muted, much related to exhaustion (I finished it three marathon evenings of readings )some disappointment melded with general holy fuckery mixed in with the excitement and some "wait what?" Elements and a bit of narrative separation for the reader from the accelerating pace of TGO. It's almost disorienting to read, as it is so much continuous climax.

But the more I have ruminated on the book the more I like it. This book ripples my understanding of the previous books, at least as far back as warrior prophet in fairly substantial reconfigurations of interpretative perspective given newly obtained information. Some things seem much simpler and at least one factor seems far more complex than anyone has ever considered because no one has ever gone there at any point. I expect this avenue will be a dominant core of discussion going forward and it originates from a fairly holy fuckery moment I never saw coming that makes complete sense. Can't wait to see everyone's reactions to the book.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 11:16:02 am »
I finished it last night. Oof, that ending.

It definitely felt like the second half to TGO, so less of a standalone book than any of the others, which lets it down a bit. The second half was very well done though.

There were a lot of questions unanswered and some plot threads left hanging, which annoyed me. I was really annoyed at how one of the aspects of the book played out (not going to spoil it for anyone, though).

Overall though, I'll say it again: oof, that ending. There were a couple of things that I have questions on that I'll be posting soon!
You are the fist that beats us.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2017, 12:11:55 pm »
Holy shit.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Lol.

I've updated Tapatalk again, locke, sorry about the double posts - I hope that's the solve.

This book ripples my understanding of the previous books, at least as far back as warrior prophet in fairly substantial reconfigurations of interpretative perspective given newly obtained information. Some things seem much simpler and at least one factor seems far more complex than anyone has ever considered because no one has ever gone there at any point. I expect this avenue will be a dominant core of discussion going forward and it originates from a fairly holy fuckery moment I never saw coming that makes complete sense. Can't wait to see everyone's reactions to the book.

This makes me very excited for general release.

I finished it last night. Oof, that ending.

It definitely felt like the second half to TGO, so less of a standalone book than any of the others, which lets it down a bit. The second half was very well done though.

4/4?

How did you find one, Yellow :)?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2017, 03:17:55 pm »
 :P

Just mean the narrative arc was a bit lacking. If the two had stayed as intended as one (massive) book, it would have been amazing.
You are the fist that beats us.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »
Interesting. Isn't The Aspect-Emperor one massive book?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2017, 04:23:55 pm »
Aye it'd have been even better if it was one big massive book, but it would have been better if TGO and TUC hadn't been split.

Although i guess the same could be said of any multi-book story, they'd all be better at once, but like the gods it doesn't work that way.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2017, 08:42:03 pm »
Could we keep spoilers tagged til after the 6th at least?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,