Miscellaneous Chatter > Philosophy & Science

Official consumable substance of the Semantic Apocalypse?

<< < (9/9)

Wilshire:
Update since June last year I guess, so 8 months?

Been doing 1x 400 calorie 'meal' between the hours of 6am and 4pm. I usually eat something small when I get home from work, or simply make dinner. For convenience we do a meal delivery - we cook it, but the ingredients are shipped. Love it.

Anyway, back to Soylent. I have noticed nothing usual at all in regard to my physical health. No magical change in eyesight, or anything else that some have noted elsewhere.
My goal was to lose weight by stringently controlling caloric intake during the day when its easiest to control (at work, there isn't a bunch of food laying around).  I drink about 12-16oz of coffee with cream and sugar throughout the day. I drink about 1/4 to 1/3 of my daily soylent right after I make it. With sipping coffee, I normally get hungry around 12 or 1pm and grab it from the work fridge. I sip on it throughout the rest of the day.

Still using single serve blender shakes. 85grams of soylent, fill rest with water, blend for like 10 seconds, transfer to shake. Rinse blender accoutrements.  Whole thing takes a minute or two. I throw in 3 icecubes to chill it before I take my breafast swig.

I don't add anything too it. Flavorings added too many calories, and after trying a couple they didn't seem worth the trouble. Though, if we've got fruit laying around, sometimes I'll throw some blueberries in there, but not often.

I estimate, given a 400 calorie shake and 100- 200 calories of coffee, I probably consume about 500-600 calories from when I wake up until I get home. I stop counting after that because I'm lazy. Dinner is probably about 800. Given my base basil metabolic rate, I figured this gave me maybe 400 - 800 calories to play with for snacking and I'd still be losing weight.

I've lost about 25 pounds so far - from 220 down to 195. Have I mentioned I'm lazy? For a guy that doesn't exercise, I'm pretty pleased with these results, considering I'm also saving money (only costs something like $3.50/day since I'm splitting one Soylent meal between breakfast and lunch) and it only takes about 5 minutes total to prepare, clean, and consume each 'meal'.

Other than weight loss, I haven't noticed anything particularly noteworthy. It still tastes like bland pancake batter, and is better chilled. I don't think I'd really recommend it to anyone unless they had some particular goal in mind like me. Its not very good - though not bad - and I've taken to referring to it as 'nutritive goo' whenever I talk about it with the wife.

mostly.harmless:
Thanks for the update Wilshire. Interesting to read!

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version