mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 03:36:18 am »
Sorry to butt in with something so trivial, but it literally just occured to me how busy Kellhus must have been since TTT. The busiest person ever , he needs his intellect just to organise his "to-do list".

I'm struggling to find someone with more to do.

This would be a neat way to humanize Kellhus!  All of us reach the end of our ropes when the 'to do' list is too long--maybe Kellhus is 100,000 times larger than mine, but he would still have some moments of exasperation between Shimeh and Sakarpus. 

Esmi - "Sweetheart, why did you get drunk and destroy Hinnereth last night."
Kellhus - "Um, it's part of the thousandfold thought.  Excuse me, now puke I have to hangover puke now."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
Sorry to butt in with something so trivial, but it literally just occured to me how busy Kellhus must have been since TTT. The busiest person ever , he needs his intellect just to organise his "to-do list".

I'm struggling to find someone with more to do.

Not trivial and absolutely true. He has the most power and agency to exercise that power during the time between the end of TTT and the beginning of TJE...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2014, 08:43:13 pm »
NecroPost

I think it will be revealed Kellhus is Good. I think he broke on the Circumfix, really did perform a miracle and really does seek to end damnation for the sake of humanity and has now abandoned his Dunyain goals. Believing he is "more". I think he will end up the tragic failed hero.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2014, 12:11:23 am »
Welcome Roamer.
I don't think Kellhus can be defined as capital G Good by any sound ethical measure.  But I tend to agree that he really is opposed to the Consult and believes his own bullshit.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2014, 09:26:44 am »
Thankyou!

Oddly enough it was on my reread where I changes my opinion. First read I read Kellhus as amoral bastard. Second read I see him as the saviour of mankind. I think Kellhus believes he is the saviour of mankind and would murder a thousand-thousand infants to bring about the saviour of Man.

It is actually strange to have a protagonist with such mysterious motives.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »
The removal of Kellhus' POV was a masterful stroke.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2014, 12:39:41 pm »
I agree Wilshire but I spent the whole of TJE waiting for Kellhus POV. When I realised now Kellhus POV I was SERIOUSLY pissed off!

I literally screamed at the end of the book: "No Kellhus POV, Bakker you trolling fucker!"

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2014, 12:56:39 pm »
lmao. I was disappointed as well, but felt like I was outsmarted rather than tricked. Maybe I underreacted...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2014, 07:27:55 pm »
You were neither outsmarted nor tricked. Merely Conditioned. EAMD.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:22 am »
I agree Wilshire but I spent the whole of TJE waiting for Kellhus POV. When I realised now Kellhus POV I was SERIOUSLY pissed off!

I literally screamed at the end of the book: "No Kellhus POV, Bakker you trolling fucker!"

Same here--the Proyas POV's became the tiny trickle of revelation.  I'm really interested to see if the Proyas POV's are there because Proyas is really special or if it's just Bakker's way of putting distance between us and Kellhus.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2014, 02:43:07 am »
Would like more Proyas, he's a pretty cool guy.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »
Yeah, Proyas is a pretty cool dude, he reads the Tractate and don't afraid of anything.

To be more serious: I suspect Proyas' fixation on autarchy and moral purity (as defined by Inrithism) makes him uniquely useful and perhaps this has caused Kellhus to have some germinal affection for him in the same way he has some residual love for Esmenet.  Proyas is not and never will be a Dunyain, or even a halfie, but there is a crude resemblence between their concern for self-movement and his for total self control, and I think Kellhus may look on him as a student of sorts, in more or less the way Proyas sees himself when he enters Kellhus' tent in WLW and is thinking over how he has been Maithanet's disciple and now is Kellhus' instead. I doubt Kellhus was totally upfront with anyone, even Maithanet, but his dealings with Proyas are probably the closest he gets to pure honesty.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 05:10:22 am »
Didn't Proyas also read the Compendium of the First Holy War?

Kellhus is clearly setting him up to become or to do something.  Maybe some sort of sacrifice, since he has learned a lesson or two about exposing himself too honestly.

Francis Buck

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2014, 06:15:38 am »
I think Proyas is being set up to be the believer whose faith in his living god is so strong, he will actually betray him...on his own god's orders. It fits nicely with his arc throughout the series, and it's ripped straight outta Dune ;).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 06:29:37 am by Francis Buck »

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2014, 12:24:42 am »
I think Proyas is being set up to be the believer whose faith in his living god is so strong, he will actually betray him...on his own god's orders. It fits nicely with his arc throughout the series, and it's ripped straight outta Dune ;).

Nice!  Specifically, Kellhus is conditioning Proyas to ally with Akka?