Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

Yearly Targets 2018

<< < (3/33) > >>

Wilshire:

1) Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch (Read: January)
2) The Many-Colored Land by Julian May (Read: January)
3) Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Read: January)
4) Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (Read: January)
5) Artemis by Andy Weir (Read: January)
6) The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin (Read: February)
7) The Magician King by Lev Grossman (Read: March)
8 ) The Alchemist by Paolo Bacigalupi (Read: March)
9) Blackout by Connie Willis (Read: March)

The Red Knight by Miles Cameron
Many-Colored Land because its an old book from my dad, also on some 'top 100 scifi lists'. So far, not very good.
Ready Player one because the movie is coming out.
Ancillary Justice and Left Hand of Darkness are hugo+nebula winners.
Artemis because christmas gift.
The Red Knight because MSJ :P .

We'll see how it goes.

MSJ:
Finished Furies of Calderon(1), by Jim Butcher. Good book. Decent world building, but with 6 books I feel a whole lot more is to come. Love the magic system, unique to anything I've seen really. Good plot and characters that you come to root for and love. And, my favorite, lots of mystery and intrigue.

On to 2nd book in Codex Alera, Academ Furies.

Wilshire:
Finished Many-Colored Land (2). Um, not good. Writing was OK, plot was predictable, I didn't appreciate the use of hard Magic in my scifi (er, sorry 'psionics'), and the author spent an awful lot of time talking around various people and other beings having sex for no particular reason.
Rating 1.5/5 - would not recommend lol. Disappointed its on some lists of 'top 100 scifi of all time'. Sigh.

Edit: On that note, I think I might have to stop taking scifi book recommendations from my father. "I really liked this when I was younger" does not a good recommendation make.

MSJ:
Here is a list of what I know I want to read. But, this by far will not be all that I read.

1. Codex Alera, by Jim Butcher 6 books, already done with the first.

2. 3rd book in the beginnings of the Malazan Empire. I believe it comes out this year.

3. Red Seas under Red Skies and the last book of that series. (Forget the name at the moment.)

4. Dagger and Coin series, by Daniel Abraham.

5.Finish the series by Cixin Liu I started.

6. Finish Donaldson's Gap Cycle.

7. And, from there, whatever I feel like I wanna read at the moment. Ill be honest, I'd like to get in son non-fiction this year. Maybe on wars, and after watching Mindhunter on Netflix, some books into the minds of serial killers.

Wilshire:
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
Audiobook ready by Will Wheaton - which is amusing. So far, the book and the reading itself are very good, I'm impressed. Definitely a book for anyone who was, or wanted to be, a nerd in the 80's. Probably a book for anyone else too, but that group specifically might get a kick out of it.

Its also written near where I lived much of my life, which is terribly amusing as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version