Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:20:40 am »

In watching the first two of the three-part Black Friday episodes, I've decided that either Martin has way more dicks in Game of Thrones than TSA or Bakker will never be accepted for his few pendulous phalli.

But everyone must watch this clip before making a claim ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 02:50:07 am »
I've been watching it too. I think its aptly summing up what most people who don't know much about the series think about it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:30:23 am »
Butters' commentary on "no straight dick" in the show also seems hilariously accurate.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 09:02:51 am »
Butters' commentary on "no straight dick" in the show also seems hilariously accurate.
Theon has full frontal in all three seasons, iirc.

I think audiences are just primed to hyper-notice any genital appearance because of the general scarcity and rarity of genital appearances.  Combine with gay scenes of explicit physical affection or intimacy (only once sex, I think), that are also in general scarce and rare, you get something most memorable to your audience.  So they over notice relative to its statistical prominence and overfit to the maintain their perception of the hypothesis' internal consistency.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »
Agreed. And before I start rambling off about 'Dick Bias,' I'm just going to stop and say agreed.

Theon is one of them 'bisexuals, though, ain't he ;)?

(A joke; I have no personal prejudice towards someone's sexuality orientation, nor do I care unless it requires a steady supply of killing something. If anything this should read as a mockery of ignorance but that also feels wrong.)

Oh, South Park. The conversation you will inspire.

I have to wait till Part 3 to pass my immortal judgement on the piece as a whole but so far it's pretty good. I didn't realize Black Friday is so crazy. I just adopt the analogy of Christmas shopping (which I don't partake in but hey, it's the myth and lynchpin holding the entire consumer economy).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 02:27:57 pm »
witness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 09:57:34 pm »
For those international users, this is the collection of clips Meyna's linking to: George R.R. Martin (Game of Wieners)

Includes my aforementioned song.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:59:18 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:19 am »
Theon has full frontal in all three seasons, iirc.

I think audiences are just primed to hyper-notice any genital appearance because of the general scarcity and rarity of genital appearances.  Combine with gay scenes of explicit physical affection or intimacy (only once sex, I think), that are also in general scarce and rare, you get something most memorable to your audience.  So they over notice relative to its statistical prominence and overfit to the maintain their perception of the hypothesis' internal consistency.
Aww, you cut to the sensible chase too soon! We could have gone on for ages before getting to this!

+1

Edit: Actually it just struck me that the same applies as to why the south park clip is any kind of prompt for discussion. Otherwise south park is just...from another era.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:40:47 am by Callan S. »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:21:09 am »
First off - Southpark has been and sometimes still is an unparalleled font of social commentary.

Edit: Actually it just struck me that the same applies as to why the south park clip is any kind of prompt for discussion. Otherwise south park is just...from another era.

Well, you'd probably have to watch the episodes, Callan.

Part 3 of the Game of Consoles Wars aired last night and I must say - bravo.

It's one of those few times they've hit it out of the park in the last few years.

And now someone needs to make a compilation video of all the instances of wiener across all three episodes.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:55:49 am »
Hey, I'm saying it still prompts discussion.

But I mean, how much can you joke about weiners before, much as locke said, you don't find their appearance notable anymore? Thus becoming irrelevant? Well, I guess that either could be because one might mature in regard to the raw human condition, or one just gets jaded, I suppose.

BUT...can't help myself...Now, I own a playstation 3. And it's alot of money around the world and all that. But...console wars? Tell me they used it as a way of digesting down and parodying war over oil or something like that? Or was it really...focused on consoles?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 12:20:18 pm »
Nope...

(click to show/hide)

Also, I find it very, very humorous that this episode aired in the same kind of timeframe where G.R.R.M is releasing The Princess and the Queen, which features dragons (whereas the entire three-part series suggests that G.R.R.M is just teasing us with the possibility of dragons - and pizza - so he can write and talk about wieners ;)).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer