Custom leather bound: The Darkness that Comes Before

• 85 Replies

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
Triple post.

Jeff can handle a maximum size of 8.5"x5.25". All systems go.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »
As I said, economies of scale. Doing a 1000 print run on less than super-premium leather would be ideal circumstances. Its how Grim Oaks, or Sub Press, etc, can sell their books for <$300 and make good margins. Having Bakker agree to get a s/l print done somewhere would be ideal for all parties (more affordable and likely of similar or higher quality, especially because you can print on higher quality paper). Grim Oaks has  Shannara up for $100, leatherbound. Easton Press does similar work, though their prints can be in the 10k+ unit range.

8.5x5.25 makes me jealous. I'd have to get a new stamp made, but I have a bitmap file that I personally created using copies of Rankine's original artwork that I bribed him for. If you look close enough, you'll notice slight differences from the ones printed in PoN compared to the ones I made. That took weeks because I'm an amateur, but I did it, damn it.
You used pounds as your monetary unit, so I assume you're in the UK. If that's the case, then I'd assume you'd be able to get this done yourself - probably even for cheaper. The leather I got was imported from England, binders are fewer here so are probably more expensive. The only thing you'd be missing would be the die. Which you could have made yourself or I could work something out with you and send one your way. But again, since bookbinding is more popular in UK/EU, such services may be cheaper and easier to find.
A larger die will make for an easier stamp since the fine details wont be so fine.

Rankine is very... lets say 'particular'... about the use of his art. Reproducing his art onto covers enmasse would probably come at a hefty cost, and likely just be impossible. I have an agreement with him for free personal use and a reproduction fee if I sell any books.

Also, with the stamping, it can be tricky, especially with art as intricate of the PoN covers. When you do a big run, you can afford to screw up a few covers and just re-print them. It also lets you dial in the machine so once its printing perfect copies, you don't have to worry about it. When you've only got 1 shot and a limited budget, messing up really just isn't an option, thus the need for the in-laid leather that I'll be having.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:15:34 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ValHallAwaits

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2016, 05:13:12 pm »
I hear you on all those points you've made. Am I alone in being happy no matter what way this turns out? If it gets picked up by a small press it's more cost effective but less special. If we do this ourselves we're part of a very small group of people in possession of the books and that's cool too, if more expensive.

I'm actually in the US but I used pounds for precision purposes because of the exchange rate possibly changing.

Would you be willing to go in with me on the stamp for the slipcase if we could use Jeff's equipment? I'd gladly pay it to have a badass slipcase with the full cover art stamped in silver, and I'd want to commission it as early as today because if the leather book will have similar dimensions we could have the slipcases long before. Here's Jeff's email if you want to drop him a line: jeffrey.whiley@ntlworld.com

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 06:03:44 pm »
Oh no, you aren't alone. I'm pretty damn proud, as well as excited as hell because I did everything lol. Did the research, got the materials, went to the bindery and actually constructed it myself, pestered Rankine until he gave me some art to work from, designed the stamp, commissioned it myself. Lots of sweat equity in my particular book.

As for the rest, it would be icing on the cake if I could sell some of these to people fascinated enough with this series to have something truly unique made. Especially considering that at this current point in time, it wouldn't even exist without me .

I'll shoot you a PM, see what we can work out.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 06:10:45 pm »
If one was to be interested, what is the price we're talking about here? I need something and would be willing to add my name to the list just to drive the cost down. I left my TDTCB on the coffee table, and my 4 year old ripped the cover to shreds. My hardcovers are all in great shape and I've never made any marks in them. I'd be willing to spruce up Darkness, as long as we're not talking something too outrageous.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2016, 06:28:34 pm »
If one was to be interested, what is the price we're talking about here? I need something and would be willing to add my name to the list just to drive the cost down. I left my TDTCB on the coffee table, and my 4 year old ripped the cover to shreds. My hardcovers are all in great shape and I've never made any marks in them. I'd be willing to spruce up Darkness, as long as we're not talking something too outrageous.

Check out the full post for a bit more info, but:
Going to have to disappoint you on cost. $350 is probably a low end estimate for something like this. A comfortable number is probably double that. I will probably have spent $700-$800 once its done.

The biggest issue is economies of scale. The materials alone are extremely expensive to buy for just one book, so unless you're making a 500 book print run, done on machines rather than by hand, it becomes egregiously expensive. I got to learn this lesson first hand.

Could maybe do it for less with lower quality leather. Maybe $400. Dont hold you're breath.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »
Phew, that might be something I'd have to do around tax time, lol.  If you guys could get enough of us who want one and drive the price down somehow I'd be in before that. I do see the appeal, and would love to have one.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2016, 07:51:30 pm »
Phew, that might be something I'd have to do around tax time, lol.  If you guys could get enough of us who want one and drive the price down somehow I'd be in before that. I do see the appeal, and would love to have one.

I'll ask my binder, but I doubt a bulk order would make much of difference - because its all hand made. I will ask though.

Its an expensive proposition, but there are lots of non-super premium options that may allow a more reasonably priced book. I found a binder that uses non-traditional teqniques and produces books in the $100 range - downside is no hot foil stamping for those.

Level of interest is important. I'm not going to spend a ton of time hunting down options for just, say, 1 person ;). buf if tis a couple of you, I'll see what I can do :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:06:54 pm by Wilshire »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2016, 08:20:20 pm »
@Wilshire, yes that's why I wanted to add my name to the mix. In all seriousness, if you're still able to do a nice one for me next Spring, I will drop the money in a heartbeat. But, if enough of us want one and you could get it to a more reasonable price I would be interested also.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 12:20:25 am »
Lol - I'm in if you'll consider the Omnibus PON edition ;).

Though, we already talked about alternatives to that.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2016, 05:14:29 pm »
@Wilshire, yes that's why I wanted to add my name to the mix. In all seriousness, if you're still able to do a nice one for me next Spring, I will drop the money in a heartbeat. But, if enough of us want one and you could get it to a more reasonable price I would be interested also.

What about something along these lines: https://www.etsy.com/listing/254390891/custom-leather-hardback-trio-of-suzanne?ref=shop_home

Could do a Tusk or a Circumfix on the front. I'm having trouble deciding on a third piece of workable imagery that might be put on the cover of the trilogy... How about a big face...

For an omnibus it could just say "Prince of Nothing" on the nameplate and have the circumfix below.

Thoughts? Interest at a price range of $100/book or $175/omnibus? I'd be making them myself, btw.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 02:24:00 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 01:39:16 pm »
Thoughts? Interest at a price range of $100/book or $175/omnibus?
I think if 5 people were interested I could really start pursuing this.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 04:10:54 pm »
I would absolutely be down for this. Especially an Omnibus if it's feasible.

Not a big fan of that nameplate for PoN. I assume it's meant to look like something from one of the Districts in the Hunger Games?

A Chorae might be interesting for a third image. And maybe the Heron Spear or Carapace down the line?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 04:31:27 pm »
Chorae is interesting. I was thinking maybe a castle for Ishual, for tdtcb.

Eye and tree for tje and wlw. Etc.

The design could be vastly altered. Laser etching  is versatile, would just have to find the thing. Maybe even just using the same font as the original covers.

The only problem with this particular leather is that it won't take hot foil stamping. Though it would be possible to laser etch the lether itself with whatever design. That might be cool. I could use the cover designs I already have.

MisterGuyMan

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 01:32:45 pm »
I am very interested.  In another thread a bunch of fans are speculating on creating an Bakkercon just because we want our books signed but if Bakker can sign off on this then this would be even better.

So if this isn't an official thing what are we talking about?  We would have to supply our own books for binding I assume.  Everyone would, again I'm assuming, have to have the same edition and print so they're the same size.  Could we reap the advantages of economies of scale if we bind different books in the series or does it have to be the same one?  Like say I want all six books bound and you wanted five, would that matter?

Personally, I'm a "Less is More" guy.  So if there's a design I would I'd prefer something simplistic and relevant.  I can't think of one for TDTCB but something like a circumfix for The Warrior Prophet which, come to think of it, would look like a basic Xmen symbol.  Or just have that script the runs down the NA release on the cover.  I'd honestly like a simple "The Darkness That Comes Before:  Second Apocalypse Book I" on the cover.  Maybe translate that into Nonman or some Earwa language for flavor.

TLDR:  TAKE MY MONEY