[TV Spoilers] Game of Thrones (S6)

• 59 Replies

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 01:13:51 am »
So rewatched the first episode and a half of S1...

Seeing Jaime reach out to shake John's hand at Winterfell was so fucking disorienting.

Yes, I rewatched S1E1 recently as well. (With the Rifftrax audio - http://www.rifftrax.com/game-of-thrones-season-1-episode-1;D

And speaking of the last episode and the pilot -
(click to show/hide)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 02:14:56 pm »
I'm very quickly convincing myself that I want to read the books before I want to rewatch the series.

EDIT: Because of those interesting acts of symmetry.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:17:51 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2016, 05:51:29 pm »
I've been thinking about a re-read myself. It'll have to wait til after I get a re-read TGO and I'd rather have an idea about when TWOW is coming out. I have a feeling that Martin is finishing A Dream of Spring also. I think that's why he's been pushing it back and back and back.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
I've been thinking about a re-read myself. It'll have to wait til after I get a re-read TGO and I'd rather have an idea about when TWOW is coming out. I have a feeling that Martin is finishing A Dream of Spring also. I think that's why he's been pushing it back and back and back.

That's quite optimistic of you. I very much doubt it... If we are lucky we'll see TWOW next year. And ADOS? 5-10 years later. GRRM seems to be having problems collecting the story threads towards a conclusion - more and more characters and plots are being added, it seems.

I also suspect that as he has realized that the TV show will finish the story before him (different path but still the same ending), he is no longer in a hurry... Maybe it is just best for him to polish it until he feels the end is just right.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 01:09:07 pm »
It seems like a very unique kind of situation to be in. Just as there's not a very large selection of authors historically who have experienced contemporary online fandoms, surely Martin must be one of the very few authors ever to have had their own story overtaken by their story on a separate medium?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:11:41 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:14 pm »
Basically fan fiction finishing the story for him.

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 04:24:21 pm »
It seems like a very unique kind of situation to be in. Just as there's not a very large selection of authors historically who have experienced contemporary online fandoms, surely Martin must be one of the very few authors ever to have had their own story overtaken by their story on a separate medium?

It may be completely a unprecedented situation, I'm not aware of it any other author having an endorsed/official adaption pass him.

Basically fan fiction finishing the story for him.

Certainly fiction, but not "fan fiction" since HBO paid GRRM handsomely for the rights.  :) And they have been told the broad strokes of the ending.

BTW, have you all seen GRRM's original 1993 outline of the ASOIAF story that he was shopping around to publishers? Back then he imagined the story being a trilogy  ;D, and some of the elements of the story has changed *radically* since then. (No spoilers if you have read the books, the endgame is blacked out, but there is so much bizarre stuff):
http://watchersonthewall.com/george-r-r-martins-original-plan-game-thrones/
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:34:28 pm by Titan »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »
I was referring to the lack of quality in comparison to the original. They had the actual text word for word the majority of the run, entering the phase where they now only have broad strokes means i'll sit through another few hours of improbable travel, over acting and random sex scenes so i can get the broad strokes of how the series is going to end. As I don't think Martin is going to finish the series.

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2016, 08:41:18 pm »
I was referring to the lack of quality in comparison to the original. They had the actual text word for word the majority of the run, entering the phase where they now only have broad strokes means i'll sit through another few hours of improbable travel, over acting and random sex scenes so i can get the broad strokes of how the series is going to end. As I don't think Martin is going to finish the series.

...which still doesn't make it "fan fiction".  ;) I don't see the chasm of quality difference that you seem to see (everything you mention has been present from the start of the show), but we're probably not going to agree here. And that's OK.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »

...which still doesn't make it "fan fiction".  ;) I don't see the chasm of quality difference that you seem to see (everything you mention has been present from the start of the show), but we're probably not going to agree here. And that's OK.

I assume, and correct me if I'm wrong themerchant, that he is talking about dialogue. Without the books, and the show has went past DoD, the dialogue is becoming insufferable in some cases. I think they're trying to emulate what GRRM would write, and well, it's really bad sometimes. That's my main critique as of now. Other than that, the past two episodes have been the best of the damn show, if you ask me. Was you asking me? Lol. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:17:36 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 09:22:00 pm »

I'm marking the quality analogous to Fan Fiction. I had no idea there even was an objective literal definition of "fan fiction" , I'd like to see it though :) Where would i find it?

I only watched the first few episodes and sixth series. I started watching it again once it was moving past the books. As i suspect it will be the only portrayal of the end of the books we will see. Hope I'm wrong though.

In the interest of pedantry we'll refer to oxford dictionary.

Fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, film, etc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:38:56 pm by themerchant »

Titan

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:28 pm »
I'm marking the quality analogous to Fan Fiction. I had no idea there even was an objective literal definition of "fan fiction" , I'd like to see it though :) Where would i find it?

Fiction written by a fan of, and featuring characters from, a particular TV series, film, etc.

I don't want to be pedantic, but "fan fiction" as opposed to "an official/licensed adaptation". That is how virtually anyone would defined the term. Otherwise... we'll anyone writing is a fan of what they write about, I would hope.
(GRRM has made his thoughts about "fan fiction" well known: http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html )

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 11:28:53 pm »

I don't want to be pedantic, but "fan fiction" as opposed to "an official/licensed adaptation". That is how virtually anyone would defined the term. Otherwise... we'll anyone writing is a fan of what they write about, I would hope.
(GRRM has made his thoughts about "fan fiction" well known: http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html )

No that's a fair point in fact, put in those terms the distinction is clear. I hear ya :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2016, 03:42:27 pm »
I think the point stands though that the writers of the show aren't as skilled at dialogue as GRRM. There is like... one great monologue an episode by characters in the first season, if not more than one. I literally fast-forwarded through some of the monologues in the latter part of season six.

I think the show in the latter season mostly stands on being a very loyal representation in a visual medium specifically. HBO has gotten very good at portrayal over the seasons, which is why the whole opening of the S6 finale can communicate so much with almost no words (though, kudos, Margaery, strong out but you still got played). It's analogous to Martin and Bakker building up so many disparate pieces of their world so they can better wield the associations later - how else can something like the lingering shot of the Sept of Baelor covered in wildfire even work?

I got a used copy of AGOT again so we'll see if I make it farther than halfway through TSOS this time.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2017, 11:53:33 am »
Lmao... almost a year to the day. I have brought that used copy down to my sister's. Maybe I'll start reading it.

New trailer is out and the compulsory breakdown at io9.

My being hyped by this is totally an artifact of having watched the show and learned the book story through the show fandom but the possibility of Cleganebowl is awesome :)!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:23:49 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer