Earwa > The Judging Eye

mimi's verbs

<< < (2/2)

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---WLW spoiler
(click to show/hide)Now I recall the why I was confused in our early discussion about this a few months back. I never quite understood how the WLW himself had present tense descriptions. As far as I can tell he pretty much is reflecting on what he has already seen, just like everyone else, and therefore speaking in past tense. Everyone, except of course Mim and Yatwer, who are very obviously present. Though maybe the literary particularities during the WLW's passages just escape me.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Perhaps, I'm wrong, Wilshire.

(click to show/hide)The White-Luck Warrior's perspectives are, indeed, written in the past tense. Though, the Goddess' are in the present tense. The White-Luck Warrior's is tricky, however. Sometimes it seems he is reflecting on the past from a present tense, though, he saw, walked, fought, rather than sees, walks, and fights. "And he walked alone, following a road of fields, stranded in the now of a mortal soul" (p186, WLW).
I'd also had thoughts that Bakker writes Mimara in the present tense as it makes for intense action sequences - however, I think the man is more subtle than that.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---Oh ok well at least we are on the same page. I considered the whole WLW present reflecting on past thing, but decided it went over my head and ignored it :P
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version