Is Capitulation All That Remains For Philosophy?

• 33 Replies

Murphy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 06:35:26 pm »
Royce,

Yes, I agree with all that. For someone of a radical temperament, it's an argument against corporate abuse of neuroscience, to which the obvious response would be, "but the corporations own the government, so there will never be any regulation that will prevent it." Which you could say was an argument for rallying people against corporate control of government. Over on TPB, I notice that the view is that this is simply impossible, therefore the only option is fatalism. This is obviously the answer most people want to hear - "you don't have to get involved because it's unstoppable." But I also think it's fairly realistic, since if people haven't risen up yet, I can't see what would make them. So we might as well enjoy it all while it lasts.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »
Consider these notes from Searle and Chalmers:

"I believe one of the unstated assumptions behind the current batch of views is that they represent the only scientifically acceptable alternatives to the antiscientism that went with traditional dualism, the belief in the immortality of the soul, spiritualism, and so on. Acceptance of the current views is motivated not so much by an independent conviction of their truth as by a terror of what are apparently the only alternatives."
-John Searle, "What's wrong with the philosophy of mind?"

"A motivation to avoid dualism, for many, has arisen from various spiritualistic, religious, supernatural and other antiscientific overtones of the view. But those are quite inessential. A naturalistic dualism expands our view of the world, but it does not invoke the forces of darkness."
-David Chalmers, "The Conscious Mind"

It seems to me philosophers could eek out a space for humanity if only they dared to suggest whatever we are there is a touch of some mystery in there.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:32:14 am »
Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Scientism and the Scapegoating of Philosophy

Now that the myths of the free market’s fairness, of democracy’s functionality, and of the link between technoscientific and social progress have been widely exposed as noble lies, a neoliberal humanist can apologize for mainstream Western culture only by discrediting the messengers, however self-destructive the scientistic attitude may be in the long run. This is a desperate defense of the legitimacy of the science-centered modern world order even as science itself undermines all talk of legitimacy as subjective and relative. This scientific reductionism feeds postmodern cynicism and incredulity towards all myths, including the secular humanism of Cosmos, not to mention Bush’s War on Terror or the abortive myth of Obama’s transformative presidency. To be sure, there are still efficacious postmodern metanarratives, such as those seen daily in advertisements, but they operate now only as fads and are thus unsuitable to any long-term project such as that of saving the ecosystems.

Philosophers and authentic religious individuals are in the unpopular business of bursting all of these bubbles, of unmasking the noble lies and rallying the troops to revolt. But Neil deGrasse Tyson’s having none of that. He belittles philosophy as merely useless and thus as no threat to society; as he says, philosophers seem to suffer from paranoia so that they can’t even cross the street. This calls to mind Aristophanes’s play that caricatures the pretentious Socrates as having his head in the clouds so that he misses the facts on the ground. What Tyson misses is that the absentminded, angst-ridden philosophers are only harbingers of science. In so far as philosophers are hyper-skeptical and nihilistic, they’re only drawing out the implications of the scientific picture of natural reality. If academic philosophy is presently irrelevant to public debates, that institution is only the canary in the coalmine. Watch as the mass media, democratic government, fine arts, and other modern institutions are further eroded by science’s continuing disenchantment of nature! All that will remain of postmodern Western society is a dominance hierarchy of barren social mechanisms, assuming scientists continue to discover that our naïve image of ourselves as free, conscious, rational, and dignified persons is a self-serving delusion.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 11:10:23 am »
For a balanced view on science/scientism, read Ian Hutchinsons book Monopolizing Knowledge

Murphy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 11:09:51 pm »
It's just hard to know what a "balanced" view of scientism would be, without lapsing into "science goes wrong when it doesn't tell us what we want to hear." It seems like the "god of the gaps" strategy mutates into "humanity of the gaps", which is not promising when you think how feeble the theological version is, and the only other move is to devalue science/rationality, aka the three monkeys method.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 07:12:50 am »
It's just hard to know what a "balanced" view of scientism would be, without lapsing into "science goes wrong when it doesn't tell us what we want to hear." It seems like the "god of the gaps" strategy mutates into "humanity of the gaps", which is not promising when you think how feeble the theological version is, and the only other move is to devalue science/rationality, aka the three monkeys method.

I don't know about that. Massimo and Cain both have made good arguments for the importance of philosophy as well as the other humanities. (Massimo has a variety of them on his page, I'll post a few later as they're on the whole more...well, life-affirming than Cain's stuff.)

I think Chomsky & McGinn have the right of it when they say we're better off regarding free will as a mystery. I've yet to see anyone make good on acting as if they don't have free will, though I notice people trying to pretend compatibilism gives one a means to act exactly as one normally would if they believed in free will.  I find most people agreeing with the pessimistic conclusion, despite their first-person experience, do so because the third-person ontology just has to be right or you're one of the "stupid religious folk".

Watts wrote Blindsight years ago, and in the Appendix he said believing in free will is silly. Yet during the whole Acrackedmoon battle he seemed pretty wound up for someone who should "know" our actions are supposedly born from the collision of atoms.

Hell, even Brassiere complains about what he sees as the immoral Israeli occupation!

As Hoffman notes, we can't use science to prove or disprove God. I figure we can also just regard ourselves as free willed for similar reasons, at which point meaning and all that jazz is preserved and so philosophy regains its seat of respectability.

Naturally I'll just be watching hot people in K-pop videos, which is what I'll probably be doing if anyone disproves free will to my satisfaction by taking it on as their lived truth. So for me it's just SSDD (Same Shit, Different Day)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:12:32 am by sciborg2 »

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 10:48:14 am »
Murphy,

Who said anything about devaluing science? Science and scientism are two different things IMO.

The point Ian Hutchinson makes is pretty valid. There is this new trend of putting the word science in places where it does not belong(political science, social science etc). It confuses the meaning of what science really is, testing, analysis and reproducibility. You probably know all this:)  I am just making the point that no one is devaluing the scientific method here.

Although it is interesting that the scientific method rules out explanations in terms of purpose. Purpose presupposes an agent, a personality. Persons can not be adequately described within the rubrics of reproducibility, analysis and testing. They are methodologically excluded, and so is purpose.

It should be no surprise that, therefore, that science fails to find personality and purpose in the world. It could not possibly do so because it rules them out from the beginning. There can never be a scientific explanation of personality or purpose as such. There can be a scientific description of the material substrate in which personality is embodied; brain science is at the very rudimentary beginnings of such a description for humans; but this does not prove that there is no such thing as personality. It is mere presumption, not based on scientific results, to suppose that a scientific description "explains away" personality, in the sense of rendering descriptions in personal terms empty or meaningless.

What about music? You can describe music using science, but that description makes no sense whatsoever in explaining the experience of music. Is the experience of music meaningless?

What about a psychedelic experience? you can also here describe psychedelics scientifically, but again, it does not even hint at what that experience brings to a person. Are the insights gained meaningless?

My point here is that if science(the scientific method) provides the only knowledge worth looking into, everything is indeed meaningless and purposeless. To me that makes no sense. Everyone would commit suicide if there were no meaning to anything.

Murphy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 09:40:56 am »
You put the case very well and I don’t want to seem stubborn by persevering, since you’re convincing me up to a point. That said, I do think the only way to not capitulate to science’s encroachment is to willfully draw an arbitrary line and refuse to accept anything that crosses over it, which may be very hard to sustain. You say science can’t explain the experience of music – but it will. That’s exactly what it will do. It will define in terms of absolute precision why the subjective emotional wonders of music occur – and once science has nailed that down, to say there’s more to it will be like saying, “oh, but there’s something indefinably more to the taste of ice cream than simply triggering taste-bud responses and pleasure centers in the brain, something magical outside of mere biology.” Music is a device that pushes our buttons and makes us go back for more. Nothing else but science can actually explain the experience of it; outside of that, it will just be babble.

So, I think there’s a huge problem for humanism as science tidies up what’s happening. Just as, at one point, supposed mystical experiences turned out to be explicable as epilepsy or schizophrenia, so the raptures that humanism attributes to other experiences might be revealed as equally misunderstood. I admit it’s only a “might.” But it’s quite a plausible “might.” And then what can we say? But I really did see God when I had that fit, so it makes no difference what the doctor says, right? And if I’ve never heard from God since I started taking the pills, well, that’s just a coincidence. It’s true that following this line of thought leads to absolute meaninglessness, but sadly that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I defer to Al Gore for a useful description: an inconvenient truth.

I should add, I think there’s probably not an answer to Sciborg’s point, that it’s difficult to see how you’d live like that in practice. Brassier holds views about Israel’s “crimes”, Bakker at least used to say he believed in feminism, and so on. So there’s a hypocrisy, and the nihilist (or pseudo-nihilist) can only shrug about it, leaving the rest of us free to pursue our own interests after all. The problem is that that pursuit might be taking place, possibly, in an ever shrinking context unless science hits on something that opens the box back up again (but we shouldn’t count on that).

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 11:01:35 am »
Murphy,

While i agree with you, at least partly, that science will ever move forward and most probably will have a (at least partial) answer to most things, i disagree with you on the impact it will have in the end.
As i said once before, we humans just do not work that way (and in that i agree with Royce and Sci). I mean, as an example, everyone knows that smoking is very very bad for you. It's proven fact. Does it deter us from smoking and dying in the hundred of thousands every year? No, apparently not. We humans just are not that rational. We have the capabilities to use rationality and work with logic and its instruments, but we do not live it, like, at all.

Therefore, even if science entmystifies everything you say in your post, i do not see how it will change our lives ("our lives" as in: 99.9% of humanity). They will just not care. Most of them will not even know that those results are out there. And to be honest, i am glad for it. Because as i said, if these things will ever find a way into our morals and/or societal standards, i think humanity will be done for.
As long as it feels as if we have free will and that there is a "right or wrong", as long as music feels like an experience from out of this world...i couldn't care less about how it is explained (away) by science etc. . If it feels real, it is real...or something along those lines.

Also, as a sidenote, never forget to look closely at what science means by some of those power-words. Sometimes they define stuff so narrowly or "against the everyday use" that it is a very abstract discussion that science holds with itself. Especially, sometimes the opposite of something is not what we think it is. For example "free will does not exist" might not have the implication that everything is already determined. There are shades of grey, so to speak. Or, as a mathematician, i can tell you that most people do not get it right if they try to formulate what we call complementary event.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »
Murphy,

My only objection(it is not really an objection,more the case of "we do not have a clue yet) is that (as of now) it seems to me impossible to use descriptive tools(words) to really understand something that transcends words, namely experience. That is why I brought up music as an example. I just can not see how describing how and why music has a profound effect on humans will change the experience itself. That is indeed the interesting part I think.
If science can show us exactly how and why experience is meaningful, will that knowledge make experience meaningless, or will it make it more profound? Why does that knowledge have to be viewed as nihilistic?

Murphy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 07:04:10 pm »
All good points. I'm guessing the technical term would be that nihilism doesn't haven't "first order" implications? I could be wrong about that terminology. In any case, I certainly grant what you both say - and yet it strikes me that it does raise a directly political problem. If scientists figure out how "free will" really works, and nobody pays attention except the CIA and corporations, then we have a problem. Then we'll have a situation where the world works according to nihilism in practice, as run by the 1%, and the 99% are "free will non-skeptics" who choose to remain oblivious to the problem because the reality's too disturbing. Essentially the majority of the population will be in the position of the congregation of a conman preacher, who can't bear to stop being conned because it's more painful to admit their pastor is a fake than to be scammed by a cynical psychopath. How's that for bleak?

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 06:42:01 pm »
I hear you Murphy, and that does sound bleak. If this is how it will turn out.

I think it was Carl Sagan who warned against scientific and technological discoveries being controlled by the few, because it could create an elitist hierarchical power structure, which would be able to get away with anything. The "herd" remains ignorant, because they will lack knowledge and understanding.

Classic robocop paranoia though:)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 06:12:06 am »
Doesn't it seem weird you have backwater guys on the internet bitching and moaning about nihilism, jerking off to their tears, while the guy who coined the term "Hard Problem" is talking about consciousness collapsing the wave function and how he's increasingly seeing a role for mental causation?

Murphy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 11:12:17 am »
Weird in what sense? I mean, jerking off to your tears is generally frowned on in most contexts. But "weird" tends to be used as an adjective that implicitly values conformity. Not sure what your point is?

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 11:16:54 pm »
Weird in what sense? I mean, jerking off to your tears is generally frowned on in most contexts. But "weird" tends to be used as an adjective that implicitly values conformity. Not sure what your point is?

It just seems there's two directions being taken - one is that science is going to disenchant the world, the other is that philosophy + science keeps the world enchanted.

That one side is made up of people ranting on the internet apparently hoping to ruin the day of the average joe suggests that personality may be swaying things toward the pessimistic side rather than any actual truth.

Which is not to say eliminative materialism as a philosophy doesn't threaten every cherished thing humans value, but so would Cthullu waiting in the waters to awaken and threaten all humanity or any other dismal fiction.