H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
Could be the Ships shields that impacted before the Ark hit.

If we take what we are told at face value, skin-spies are new, so perhaps it is also a rediscovered portion of the Tekne.  Or an amalgam of old parts for a new purpose.  Indeed, perhaps a shield or, I feel, more likely a fuel cell.  Perhaps that's what Aurax has been up to all these years.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2016, 04:27:37 pm »
Sorry I don’t think I was clear there H.

I mean the Arcs shields struck the ground before Arc impact, as they were presumable surrounding the ship.
Hence the story from sources who witnessed the impact of an explosion before the impact of the ship.

I’m not saying the Nuke was some kind of shield generator.

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2016, 10:54:30 am »
Didn't Paul also use nukes on his final assault on Arrakis?  :)
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2016, 04:56:42 pm »
You mean the Mentat Duke.
Oh I mean the kwisatz haderach who used religion to build an Empire?
Yeah, he nuked the Shield Wall.

Just a few similarities  :)

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2016, 08:36:27 am »
So the Consult used a directed energy weapon on the shields the Non-men erected, and it was indistinguishable from atomics. Got it.

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2016, 09:44:35 pm »
So Saubon's shieldbearer the Holca, is he a decendent of the Holca from the knife of many hands. Or do all Holca have this rage mode. Because during my reread it seems he "hulks out" (Holca's out?) Right as the bashrag attacked.
"Wutrim kut mi’puru kamuir!"

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2016, 07:59:53 am »
He has the Holcamania, brother. He believes in the three demandments (prayer, training, vitamins) and fears no pain, fears no man. /I'm hungover and I find this hilarious for some reasons. Judge not...
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2016, 04:07:02 pm »
He has the Holcamania, brother. He believes in the three demandments (prayer, training, vitamins) and fears no pain, fears no man. /I'm hungover and I find this hilarious for some reasons. Judge not...

OMG perfect. Lmao now I'm picturing Holca horgan. A huge man with little girls doll hair.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2016, 03:25:39 pm »
So Saubon's shieldbearer the Holca, is he a decendent of the Holca from the knife of many hands. Or do all Holca have this rage mode. Because during my reread it seems he "hulks out" (Holca's out?) Right as the bashrag attacked.

This is who the Short story in the anthology will be about.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2016, 11:39:08 am »

Unclear.  My guess is that perhaps they all have it (since they are legendary just by being Holca), but none more than Eryelk (and so, his decendents).

One thing, he is not the shieldbearer, he is the spearbearer: "his famed Spear-bearer, Thurhig Bogyar, a red-maned Holca warrior, apparently descended from Eryelk the Ravager no less."

This is who the Short story in the anthology will be about.

Yes, the short story will be about the shieldbearer, Ûster Scraul, but he is not the Holca, he's a Kurigalder.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

geoffrobro

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2016, 01:07:53 pm »
Short story?

gtownwr

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2016, 07:00:22 pm »

Hmm, in rereading The False Sun, I noticed something interesting:

Together they pulled down Nogaral, the High Round, raised it into a heap over the mouth of the Well.

[...]

At last they paused to regard their labour, the Inchoroi alighting upon the same spectral floor that bore Shaeönanra. Crimson sunlight bathed the southern ramps, inking the numberless crevices across the wrack and ruin. And they rejoiced, Man and Inchoroi…

They had no inkling of the greater violence their sorcery had unleashed.

The sky cracked. Iros shuddered. The impossible sun tipped and stumbled. Plumes of ejecta exploded from points along the mountain’s perimeter, scarcely visible for the Diurnal’s encompassing glare. The mound that had been Nogaral shrugged then slumped into its contradiction. It was as if a dome of cloth had been pressed into a dimple. Summit became basin. Illumination became shadow. The mountain had been rotten with Viri, its innumerable ways fractured by the cataclysmic impact of the Ark thousands of years before. The underworld mansion imploded, collapsed inward and downward, tier upon tier, hall upon hall, undone by this final indignity. This last outrage.

It seems that something exploded in The Well?

Crackpot incoming...

What if it wasn't a nuke at all that Kellhus found, but the nominal False Sun, buried when the Nogaral was destroyed, and what if KELLHUS made it overload and explode, destroying the horde and killing Saubon, while simultaneously telling his Ordeal to flee to save as much as possible.  Surely Kellhus had heard of the betrayal of Titurga and the False Sun he carried. 

Probably not the case, but an interesting thought.  It wasn't Tekne at all.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2016, 08:14:53 pm »
Welcome to TSA,  gtownwr

The False Sun... It would have had to have been quite the little energy storage device for it to go nuclear like that
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2016, 09:21:54 pm »
Crackpot incoming...

What if it wasn't a nuke at all that Kellhus found, but the nominal False Sun, buried when the Nogaral was destroyed, and what if KELLHUS made it overload and explode, destroying the horde and killing Saubon, while simultaneously telling his Ordeal to flee to save as much as possible.  Surely Kellhus had heard of the betrayal of Titurga and the False Sun he carried. 

Probably not the case, but an interesting thought.  It wasn't Tekne at all.

So, when I first read this in the draft, I too thought it was the Diurnal.  Then it blew up and that thought got pushed aside.  The whole scrolling graphics thing made me then think it had to be something other than that.  Kind of weird to bury an ancient Nonman artifact, though, then have Kellhus dredge up another device, from the very same spot. It's just strange to me, but that's just my opinion.

However, this thought just occurred to me, based on what you said, gtownwr.  The Day Lantern is described as showing what appears to be the sun in full daylight, regardless of the fact it was night when Titirga confronted Shaeonanra.  Like a sorcerous Lens, but always trained on the sun. Shae even feels it, the promise of a sunburn.  So, it not only shows the sun, but transmits the heat/uv/energy of the sun.  With this in mind, the device could have been the Diurnal, but 'Lensing' a device located somewhere else.  A detonation of that device would have funneled through the Diurnal to Dagliash.  Maybe causing it to destruct, as well.  A Tekne/sorcerous explosion.  Shae obviously knew of the Day Lantern, and maybe figured out how to divert the subject of the Lens to a nuke instead of the sun.

And here I go debunking my own theory...  The description of the device didn't really sound like what Titirga was holding, but the physical description of the Day Lantern was sparse at best.  Meh.
No whistling on the slog!