• 155 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2016, 03:39:42 am »
Finished Sword of the North about a week ago. These are decent books and keep you interested. I've heard Scull compared to Abercrombie but with real Magic. Yea, he's not in the same level as Abercrombie, but he's not too bad either. If your looking for some light, fun reading I would suggest them.

Doing a re-read of TGO. Do rereads count towards our yearly totals?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2016, 03:26:39 pm »
Doing a re-read of TGO. Do rereads count towards our yearly totals?

Clearly, SR and I have trouble keeping up with this thread ;).

I think rereads could count... or at least be a modifier to your overall score ;)?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2016, 06:04:31 pm »
Taking a short break from fantasy and s-f, today I read a short non-fiction book about wolves. On my computer, as an exception, as it had a lot of colour photos. I've always thought that wolves are fascinating animals and the book was a really interesting insight in their lives, hunting and feeding patterns, as well as history of their extermination in most of Europe.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2016, 12:13:14 am »
Finished my reread of TGO. Do rereads go towards our yearly total?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »
SR is the final arbiter of that such decision, MSJ. I'd imagine not, unless you just want to have it for your personal count ;). And, you know, that SR or I actually take the time to moderate his count post.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2016, 01:08:23 am »
Just finished Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone. Really great book, with a lot of stuff I've never encountered before in my reading. Vampires, gargoyles, the Undead and all the rest. Really neat. Focuses on a firm that help out entities that have trouble with Gods and the like. Tara Abernathy, the main character, is really fun to follow with her cynicism and what not. Great ending, great middle and was really interested from the get go. Not a TSA type of series, but a fun read that keeps you guessing the entire time. Check it out.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2016, 01:49:05 pm »
Finished my reread of TGO. Do rereads go towards our yearly total?
lol. It's your total, so your call. I say sure, as long as you read the whole thing and not skip over a bunch of stuff.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »
I was just asking what SR takes intro account when coming up the end of the year totals, like he did last year. No big deal either way. I was just curious.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2016, 05:59:16 pm »
If SR even checks :P . He (or the mods if he doesn't) will put in anything you want to call a book.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2016, 12:31:47 pm »
Hey guys,

Sorry for my poor showing here lately. I have been having a lot of trouble with my mum who had a stroke and is very poorly in hospital at the moment so had very little time to do anything outside of work and those commitments to family.

Anyway to answer your question MSJ - the goals and targets are meant for your own personal achievement, so with that being the case I am happy for people to define what counts as a book to them. For me a re-read is definitely something I would count towards my own book total. I had this same conundrum last year with a few shorts I read and decided that I wouldn't include shorts in my total but I would include short novels (especially as I have been reading a lot of older Sci-Fi which tends to be more succinct.)

So if you want to include it then by all means include it as this is your personal reading goal and achievements!

Anyway I am hoping to get back onto the site a bit more now and have been typing out my reviews so there should be a flurry of posting on SFFDen.

Again apologies guys and I hope I can speak with some of you soon.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2016, 12:27:14 am »
Thanks, SR. Appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2016, 02:43:12 pm »
In the meantime I've finished reading a collection of short stories nominated for our biggest sf-f/fantasy awards (they were really good) and now I'm reading a collection of s-f retellings of popular legends, written by well-known Polish writers. It's OK, but as for retellings, I very much prefer the darker style of Angela Carter for example.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2016, 02:01:00 am »
Finished N.K. Jemisin's The Obelisk Gate. Good book, not as great as the first, but still worth the read. Would recommend the series to any and everyone. Lot of mystery and dots that need to be connect2.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2016, 02:13:08 am »
About halfway through Two Serpents Rise by Gladstone. I'm putting it down for now and just started ICE's Orb, Sceptre, Tnrone. Then onto Blood and Bone and Assail. Was going over the Malazan thread at Westeros and just got a hankering to finish up ICE's novels. I've always wanted to read them, just when I finished up Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, I needed a break. But, Dancer's Lament got the Malazan juices flowing again.

Doubt

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2016, 02:38:30 am »
Not to preemptively ruin your experience, but B&B and Assail are ICE's poorest books imo. Assail had so much hype it was nothing near as badass or terrifying as implied by Erikson. Blood and Bone wasn't as disappointing because you know nothing about the land you're being thrown into but it's still not a memorable book.

Am reading Dancer's Lament atm though, nice to see the man come into his own again. These are his stories and he's made a great start at telling them.
Cuts and cuts and cuts.