Earwa > The White-Luck Warrior

Dunyain Weakness

<< < (17/19) > >>

themerchant:
It's cause he was blind when "the white" found him. He goes mad when he cants and siezes things he shouldn't. (i think that's the quote)

the last bit might tie in with what Kellhus tells Proyas about the demon heads. 2 types of revelation, those that sieze (priest) those that are siezed (sorcerer).

Also Bakker said somewhere that it's at times of extreme emotional stress that folk "use magic" presumably the "Psukhe".

Blackstone:

--- Quote from: themerchant on April 22, 2016, 07:56:17 am ---It's cause he was blind when "the white" found him. He goes mad when he cants and siezes things he shouldn't. (i think that's the quote)

the last bit might tie in with what Kellhus tells Proyas about the demon heads. 2 types of revelation, those that sieze (priest) those that are siezed (sorcerer).

Also Bakker said somewhere that it's time of extreme emotional stress that folk "use magic" presumably the "Psukhe".

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I see that, but when I think about it logically, the two still don't seem comparable. Titirga was blind when they found him, which I think could be a reason why his meanings were so pure even after he gained his sight. I don't think blinding a Mandate schoolman as an adult that had vision his entire life would increase his level of power. It was my understanding (and I could be wrong) that part of the reason Cishaurim blind themselves is to prove their faith (which in turn is an indicator of their passion).

The Sharmat:
We never really are told for sure why the Cishaurim blind themselves in those terms, aside from some vague thing about it allowing them to see better in another way or something. Although technically, we never hear the Cishaurim talk about their metaphysics at all. Just hypotheses from Kellhus. Titirga is, actually, the only way any of Kellhus' claims are substantiated at all.

themerchant:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 22, 2016, 03:00:03 pm ---
--- Quote from: themerchant on April 22, 2016, 07:56:17 am ---It's cause he was blind when "the white" found him. He goes mad when he cants and siezes things he shouldn't. (i think that's the quote)

Also Bakker said somewhere that it's time of extreme emotional stress that folk "use magic" presumably the "Psukhe".

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I see that, but when I think about it logically, the two still don't seem comparable. Titirga was blind when they found him, which I think could be a reason why his meanings were so pure even after he gained his sight. I don't think blinding a Mandate schoolman as an adult that had vision his entire life would increase his level of power. It was my understanding (and I could be wrong) that part of the reason Cishaurim blind themselves is to prove their faith (which in turn is an indicator of their passion).

--- End quote ---

The only thing i recall about the Cish is Kellhus saying they blind themselves(the one angle they see) to better recollect the portions they do not see. I'll try and find it as i don't recall the exact quote.

from Bakker himself: "the Psukhe utilizes the impetus. Practitioners of the Psukhe blind themselves to see through the what and grasp the how, the pure performative kernel of meaning–the music, the passion, or as the Cishaurim call it, the ‘Water.’"

From Kellhus:"The Warrior‐Prophet shrugged. "Think of the way a fire will shroud the world in the course of

illuminating a camp. Often the light of what we see blinds us, and we come to think there is one

angle and one angle only. Though they know it not, this is why the Cishaurim blind themselves.

They douse the fire of their eyes, pluck the one angle they see, to better grasp the many they

recollect. They sacrifice the subtle articulations of knowledge for the inchoate profundities of

intuition. They recall the tone and timbre, the passion, of the God's voice—to near perfection—

even as the meanings that make up true sorcery escape them."

And there it was: the mysteries of the Psûkhe, which had baffled sorcerous thinkers for centuries,

dispelled in a handful of words."

Whatever it all means :D

The Sharmat:
Nil'Giccas says something very similar in Cil-Aujas, about why the Nonmen find the dark holy. Light blinds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version