Earwa > The White-Luck Warrior

Dunyain Weakness

<< < (19/19)

Cynical Cat:

--- Quote from: Madness on August 10, 2016, 03:35:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: Cynical Cat on August 09, 2016, 01:02:44 am ---The Cishaurim believe that their sorcery is the Water of Indara, but Kelhous's explanation indicates that's not how their sorcery functions.
--- End quote ---

At this point, either/neither explanation is still possibly false?
--- End quote ---

Sure.  We don't know for sure.  Kelhous's explanation is logically consistent and Titirga's experience seems to support it, so it's likely to be mostly accurate, but we don't know for sure.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: Cynical Cat on August 09, 2016, 01:02:44 am ---instead cured of his blindness
--- End quote ---

Always wondered about this. I like locke's thought about vitamin deficiency but I do wonder if there isn't another in-world context that explains it.

--- End quote ---

Sorcery seems to be pretty useless for healing (except fpr cauterizing wounds) and vitamin deficiency blindness (as opposed to night blindness) appears to be permanent.  Cortical blindness, which can be congenital, is caused by blood flow problems in the brain and some victims do recover their sight over time.  So it is possible Titirga suffered from this, regained his sight, and then was train by Schoolmen.  A brain injury might also explain his fearsome rages.

Madness:

--- Quote from: Cynical Cat on August 11, 2016, 09:48:23 am ---
--- Quote from: Cynical Cat on August 09, 2016, 01:02:44 am ---The Cishaurim believe that their sorcery is the Water of Indara, but Kelhous's explanation indicates that's not how their sorcery functions.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Sure.  We don't know for sure.  Kelhous's explanation is logically consistent and Titirga's experience seems to support it, so it's likely to be mostly accurate, but we don't know for sure.
--- End quote ---

I guess I need to do some rereading and check Bakker's latest Author Q&A answers more closely before I can reconcile myself to the context ;).

--- Quote from: Cynical Cat on August 11, 2016, 09:48:23 am ---Sorcery seems to be pretty useless for healing (except fpr cauterizing wounds) and vitamin deficiency blindness (as opposed to night blindness) appears to be permanent.  Cortical blindness, which can be congenital, is caused by blood flow problems in the brain and some victims do recover their sight over time.  So it is possible Titirga suffered from this, regained his sight, and then was train by Schoolmen.  A brain injury might also explain his fearsome rages.

--- End quote ---

Cool thoughts.

The Sharmat:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Possibly both, even.

EkyannusIII:

--- Quote from: Callan S. on August 11, 2016, 02:26:10 am ---I think Kellhus's explanation is probably wrong - the Cish blind themselves so as to concentrate on what should be, not what is.

That's the contradiction regular sorcery runs into - that they want to change what is, but they want to change it in order to suit other things which just are.

--- End quote ---

Insightful, +1.

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: Cynical Cat on August 09, 2016, 01:02:44 am --- His stain is probably reduced because he has better recollection of the other angles and so his sorcery more closely resembles creation. 

--- End quote ---
I like this, and it goes well with Callan's

--- Quote from: Callan S. on August 11, 2016, 02:26:10 am ---I think Kellhus's explanation is probably wrong - the Cish blind themselves so as to concentrate on what should be, not what is.

That's the contradiction regular sorcery runs into - that they want to change what is, but they want to change it in order to suit other things which just are.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version