Earwa > The White-Luck Warrior

The Consult and the Sranc

<< < (9/9)

Doubt:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 27, 2016, 03:56:56 pm ---As for Caraskand, someone mentioned in another thread that that battle was a mirror to a battle in the Crusades. And I don't think we get numbers for how many Fanim troops are there. Do we?
--- End quote ---
Kascamandri breaks down the composition and numbers of his troops when we first see him right before he reaches Caraskand, I do believe. Haven't the book handy but I do believe the numbers were, if not even, in Kian's favour.

Wilshire:
The sentiment is that kian has overwhelming numbers.

The Sharmat:

--- Quote from: Blackstone on April 29, 2016, 03:00:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: The Sharmat on April 29, 2016, 05:51:50 am ---
--- Quote from: ɟɹopuouɐbɹɯ on April 27, 2016, 01:05:21 am ---i wonder how long it would take for the Derived to develop anti-Consult tendencies?  genetic drift and wotnot

--- End quote ---
They seem to do their best to keep it on lock, and the Skin Spies are very recent (and probably bred in tanks or something, since all of them seem to be male), but that doesn't apply to everything. The pheromones or whatever they use on the Sranc aren't universally instantly accepted. The Skin-Spy that was playing Somandutta had to actually physically assault a Sranc chief to get his clan under control, IIRC.

--- End quote ---
You are correct. But was it pheromones that kept the sranc from immediately attacking or the fact that Soma spoke their language?

--- End quote ---
I think at the least pheromones were what kept them from just jumping him immediately, his words prolonged it, and finally him killing their chief cemented the deal.

Cynical Cat:
The Battle at Caraskand is based on the Siege of Antioch in the First Crusade.  The starving Crusaders emerged from the city to fight an overwhelmingly large and well provisioned Muslim army, but they had "discovered" the holy lance that pierced the side of Christ inside Antioch and were convinced that God was with them.  As has been mentioned by Darzin, morale is utterly crucial in battles where you fight in hand to hand conflict.  That's why a good Spartan came back with his shield or on it (because a shield is the first piece of gear a hoplite chucks when running away) and the warrior codes of so many western cultures focus on courage as the epitomy of virtue.  Most of the killing is done when an army breaks and its order collapses, with cavalry doing a lot of the killing. 

The Sharmat:
All posters that are older than music are inherently right about everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version