Erratics and the Ten Yolk Legion

• 13 Replies

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:33:40 pm »
So...given what we see of Ishterebinth, and Cleric, and just generally how nutty Nonmen turn out to be, is anyone else really impressed at how well the Ten Yolk Legion plan worked?  Like, the Consult is super lucky that their Nonmen managed to stick with the plan.  Presumably they had Ursranc as Books...

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:00:21 pm »
So...given what we see of Ishterebinth, and Cleric, and just generally how nutty Nonmen turn out to be, is anyone else really impressed at how well the Ten Yolk Legion plan worked?  Like, the Consult is super lucky that their Nonmen managed to stick with the plan.  Presumably they had Ursranc as Books...

Bad stuff helps their memories, right? So...
Mystery denotes darkness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:18:20 pm »
I'm not surprised, no. I think they can execute short term plans just fine. Gaatger them up, point, and tell them to murder in that direction. They get bashrag to stand around and wait for am ambush, I'm sure they could get a couple nonmen to march in a general direction, even if it took a lot of babysitting by the consult avatars.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:22:29 am »
They managed to rampage through Ishuäl just fine as well :)
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:19:07 pm »
I imagine them as intelligent but less effective attack dogs. Point them in a direction, get them all excited, let them go, and just hope they stay focused long enough to hit the target before getting distracted ke touring on you

Parsh

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 12:55:03 pm »

Actually, they didn't rampage through Ishuäl that well: they tore down the walls well enough, but when the battle moved into the labyrinthine passages below Ishuäl, they got lost in its depths, they went even nuttier, and ended up burying themselves in desperate attempts to escape.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 01:35:28 pm »
Actually, they didn't rampage through Ishuäl that well: they tore down the walls well enough, but when the battle moved into the labyrinthine passages below Ishuäl, they got lost in its depths, they went even nuttier, and ended up burying themselves in desperate attempts to escape.

It's basically like lobbing a million hammers at some nails, most will miss, but you'll hit some eventually.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:05:01 pm »

Sounds like rampaging to me lol. The hallmark of a rampage is kind of just general destruction to a specific location. Maybe I'm using the word wrong?

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 05:11:03 pm »

Sounds like rampaging to me lol. The hallmark of a rampage is kind of just general destruction to a specific location. Maybe I'm using the word wrong?

Indeed, rampage suggests general destruction and mayhem... That's happened :p
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Parsh

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 07:02:49 pm »

I guess it was more the "just fine" part that I was questioning. I mean, when I rampage through a place, I avoid dropping the ceiling on myself. That's how I judge a good rampage: not merely in the number of things destroyed, nor in the thoroughness of their destruction, but in whether or not I myself am numbered among those things.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 07:42:55 pm »

I guess it was more the "just fine" part that I was questioning. I mean, when I rampage through a place, I avoid dropping the ceiling on myself. That's how I judge a good rampage: not merely in the number of things destroyed, nor in the thoroughness of their destruction, but in whether or not I myself am numbered among those things.

Ahh, see this is why I ask questions. Makes perfect sense. I'm of the opinion that a Nonman erratic might not make such a distinction, but based on that explanation I understand your position fully :)

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 07:12:07 am »
Since Cleric is our only prolonged exposure to an erratic, and assuming that he is semi-indicative of others, then I'd say the Consult Nonmen might actually be pretty good at combat. Cleric was crazy as fuck but he seemed to get his act together pretty quick when shit got real. And he wasn't just rampaging per se, at least not every time - he actually used tactics and coordinated with Akka against Wutteat, for example.

Even the Ishterebinth courtiers seemed at least as lucid as Cleric, if not moreso. So I can envision the Consult's ranks of Nonmen being effective so long as it's in relatively short bursts, and assuming they have a good book with them (heh). And that's disregarding any possible restorative aid via Tekne.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:37 pm »
but when the battle moved into the labyrinthine passages below Ishuäl, they got lost in its depths, they went even nuttier, and ended up burying themselves in desperate attempts to escape.

Suddenly, I've put together their "technical" defeat under Ishual and the WMGs about Ishual being the backdoor of Ishterebinth or some minor cunuroi manson etc. Could those erratics remember something? Like, protecting exactly those (or very similar) halls from inchoroi horde?

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »

Maybe the explanation is kinda simple? These nonmen had the duty of overseeing the emwama slaves in the back-end of Cunuroi warfare in time of Cuno-Inchoroi wars and before, managing logictics and other important stuff. Thus they are erratic all the time they don't actually push some amorphous mass of barely-sentient creatures to stomp the enemies; the very process is their book.