Miscellaneous Chatter > The Forum of Interesting Things

74 Things That Blew Our Minds in 2017

(1/6) > >>

Madness:
74 Things That Blew Our Minds in 2017

TLEILAXU:

--- Quote ---35.
Intelligence doesn’t make someone more likely to change their mind. People with higher IQs are better at crafting arguments to support a position—but only if they already agree with it.
--- End quote ---
I knew it!

BeardFisher-King:

--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 06, 2018, 02:58:39 pm ---
--- Quote ---35.
Intelligence doesn’t make someone more likely to change their mind. People with higher IQs are better at crafting arguments to support a position—but only if they already agree with it.
--- End quote ---
I knew it!

--- End quote ---

Does he mean that these people are only better at crafting arguments for positions that they already believe in? In other words, is their prior belief necessary for the creation of the arguments? Or is he making an intentional point about motivation?

TaoHorror:

--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 06, 2018, 03:12:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 06, 2018, 02:58:39 pm ---
--- Quote ---35.
--- End quote ---
I knew it!

--- End quote ---

Does he mean that these people are only better at crafting arguments for positions that they already believe in? In other words, is their prior belief necessary for the creation of the arguments? Or is he making an intentional point about motivation?

--- End quote ---

I think he's saying those with higher IQ's know they have higher IQ's and that psychological experience of knowing you have a higher IQ lends to greater confidence in what you believe to be true.

MSJ:

--- Quote from:  TaoHorror ---I think he's saying those with higher IQ's know they have higher IQ's and that psychological experience of knowing you have a higher IQ lends to greater confidence in what you believe to be true.
--- End quote ---

Exactly! Like I said, I've talked to many people in my days that are highly intelligence. And, like I said, when they underestimate you,, they will form arguments to fit their view, wether they make sense or not, believing they can Bullshit you. Higher IQ people believe they are right and will not waiver from their opinion, even if you prove them wrong with strong evidence. Funny, because I just mentioned this here in a post not long ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version