• 67 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Over my relatively short stay here, I've come to appreciate how incisive a lot of you guys are, which is why I want to know what else tickles your fancy in the realms of entertainment and hobbies. Do you unwind after a hard jam session in the garage with some rape alien action? Does Drusas "enough-neuroses-to-choke-a-monk" Achiaman motivate you to hit the gym? What makes you guys tick?

I'm pretty nutso about Mad Men (see avatar) and Breaking Bad (see name = Breaking Bad Aztek), which are about as from TSA as you can imagine. Really beautiful, human stories about deeply unhappy men (and women) each desperately trying to capture a glint of happiness in their dead, humdrum worlds. Novels in visual form, I tell you.

I'm also a big David Foster Wallace fanboy. DFW was a very depressed writer who wrote about what it feels like to be human, how we interface with ourselves and reality, and how we deal with Loneliness. He offed himself a couple years back and the literary world is still reeling from the loss of such a brilliant mind. Would have loved to see his thoughts on TSA if it ever entered his awareness.

I also love dance/rap music, working out, cars, Buddhism, honking big subs, and smoking good ganja.

So what's up fellas? What are you into?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:36 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Wow.

Lol, Second Apocalypse personals ;).

I've lived an interesting life - most recently, I've tried to enact a cumulative daily regiment I've been fine-tuning for that past decade. I'm a poor student - HBA Psych/Philo. I like to maintain a musical practice. I'm trying to stick on eating healthy (soups, smoothies, & stir-fry) and body weight workouts. I meditate - not for any requisite spiritual dividend, though I welcome it - for the theoretically enhanced neuroplasticity. I maintain some moderate vices, including constant auditory satisfaction (music of any variety, excepting country) and the Lord's Leaf as Disciple says.

When I find the time, I dabble in Rosetta Stone ( French & Gaelic, atm) or try to learn Braille and ASL.

Reading books - SFF & Pop Science - has probably occupied most of my time, especially at the dinner table, since I was seven. I've enjoyed an unhealthy dose of television and movie fiction as well.

Cheers, bbaztek.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
Quote from: geoint
I don't think any person can list all the things they do to unwind.  But Ill try to list the big ones in my life lol. 

And I am aware that most fantasy fans are more liberal minded.  If any of what I say offends or bothers you, please just stop reading now. SPOILER ALERT:  MOST OF MY HOBBIES ARE NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!!!

I am relatively new to the Second Amendment but since I came home from Afghanistan, I spend the vast majority of my free time reading up on weapons, issues, laws, licenses, regulations...etc.  I hope to someday soon be able to be part of the movement to get Texas to legalize Open carry (crossing my fingers that 2013 is our year).  I already have a concealed handgun license and I alternate between my Glock 26 and my Ruger LCP.  Shooting those is a HUGE blast. 

I own a Glock 26, Glock 21, Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 640, Mossberg 590A1, Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Remington 700 and a Colt LE 6940.  (Both the Glocks are Gen 4's) I LOVE all my guns.  They cost me a fortune but they are my only real vice and I spoil myself with them shamelessly.  I grew up in a pretty moderate home in Los Angeles and while I am stationed here in Fort Hood, I plan to do my best to get guns where it is legal for a responsible and trained individual.  I shoot often.  Not as much as I want cuz Im trying to save ammo in case of some future ammo tax.  Shooting is my biggest hobby right now.  By far. 

Besides firearms, I am a huge dog lover.  My Black Lab is 7 months old and I love her like crazy.  Shes still clumsy and foolish but she always lifts my spirits after my 12 hour shifts.  I dont as much as I used to but I still love working out.  Sadly the Army doesn't foster a "tough soldier" mentality beyond lip service though and its hard to find motivation to kick my butt after a 12 hour shift like I used to.  I usually watch TV if my wife is home and if she isn't I just read gun stuff. 

Unless I have church activities or service to participate in.  I am a Mormon and I love reading about my religion.  And I love reading about other religions.  There is just something fascinating about belief systems and cultures.  I know what I believe and where I stand but I am always eager to hear other people's perspectives and views.  (I'm not the type of Mormon who tries to convert everybody I just like being left to do my own thing.  I married a Baptist lol). 

Oh and I saw the OP Mentioned Breaking Bad and Mad Men.  Im a diehard fan of both, though Breaking Bad is my favorite by far.  I absolutely love Walt and I support him no matter what cuz he makes that show great.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:47 pm »
Quote from: coobek
Hmm

I am trained Economist and like reading up on Economic Theory and History of Economic Thought and everything about the crisis and how the world is fucked up right now from this perspective. Don't get me started on banksters.

I love soccer and am Wisla Krakow fan, although they play crap recently. I played in amateur league till my son was born and now practice every week.

I am THE cook in our house and without doubt I really CAN cook from wide spectrum of cusines although I prefer Italian, French and Indian.

I enjoy a good beer much too often.

I trained fencing as a young-pro for 5 years.

I played RPG and Warhammer tabletop games in highschool with a lot of success. Now I am left with being a fan of family tabletop games.

I love fishing and sailing if time allows. In summer I got my sailing license so when I'll have 200hrs on my back I'll be able to roam the high seas alone. Watch out.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:53 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
I'm enjoying reading your responses way more than I thought I would. What a diverse range of fans Bakker has. keep 'em coming

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:58 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Growing up in Florida has left me with a severe love for American football, particularly the collegate level.

When it comes to literary leanings, anything by Peter Watts, Herbert, Cormac McCarthy, and Phillip K. Dick put a smile on my face

Hobbies include moaning about the state of PC gaming, working out, and studying anything under the sun about the War Between the States or 19th Century USA in general.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
Quote from: geoint
Growing up in Florida has left me with a severe love for American football, particularly the collegate level.

When it comes to literary leanings, anything by Peter Watts, Herbert, Cormac McCarthy, and Phillip K. Dick put a smile on my face

Hobbies include moaning about the state of PC gaming, working out, and studying anything under the sun about the War Between the States or 19th Century USA in general.
Somehow my entire NCO chain up to First Sergeant are all Gators fans so I am forced to hear about them at least everyday lol. 

Personally I hate professional sports.  I'd like to put a bullet in the head of every human being who has EVER complained about anything while earning millions of dollars while I went to war and earned less than $25k last year.  *If there are any athletes who have NEVER complained I guess I would only shoot them in the knee.  :P

I also like reading about the Civil War.  Given the current state of things, its a shame it didn't end differently.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:09 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
Apart from reading about alien rape and pendulous phalluses to unwind, let's see what I'm into...

I've always liked the books of Cormac McCarthy, not only because of their gloomy insights on human nature, but also because the text is so gorgeous. I like Nietzsche for the same reason, since he's both a philosopher and is actually fun to read. Philip K. Dick is also great. I'm rather new to the genre of fantasy literature - I had read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" books and the LOTR trilogy before stumbling upon TSA, but that's pretty much it. I'm also a big fan of Breaking Bad, like the OP. Definitely my favorite TV show out there, and I don't watch much TV at all (just Breaking Bad and Dexter at the moment). 

Other than that, I'm into movies, working out, music (any genre except what's on the radio), psychology books, using hallucinogenics, and sleeping.

I also seem to have an extreme, almost "asperger-lite", focus on whatever subject I'm into at the moment. When I was into Terence McKenna's books, I tried to learn everything there is to know about his stoned ape theories. Same when I was playing the guitar - I was one of the worst perfectionists out there. Now that I'm into Bakker and TSA, I know a whole lot of useless trivia about Eärwa and the Bakker-verse in general. No idea where this tendency of mine comes from.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »
Quote from: Garet Jax
The list of things I am not into is much much shorter...

-Spray tanning
-Douche-baggery
-Country music
-Waiting for food
-Being colorblind
-Sobriety
-The concrete jungle
-Loud people
-Crowds of people
-Tall people
-....people

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:19 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
I also seem to have an extreme, almost "asperger-lite", focus on whatever subject I'm into at the moment.

Same. It's extremely frustrating.

Funny stuff, Garet. I qualify for a number of those myself

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:23 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Quote from: Garet Jax
The list of things I am not into is much much shorter...

-Tall people
-....people

Ouch, don't go to a Bakker signing event then Dusk. He's 6'5'' at least. Im 6' and he towers over me at least.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:28 pm »
Quote from: Meyna
These days I'm into:

• Reading - Big surprise, right? I always come back to fantasy and historical fiction, but I try to branch out between series.
  • Sports - I like watching baseball, basketball, and soccer with friends, as well as poring over sports statistics. I played basketball and baseball in school, and soccer to a lesser extent, and I still enjoy playing them today.
  • Hiking / exploring the natural world.
  • Nature / wildlife photography - best paired with the preceding list item.
  • Simple outings - good food and good drink, etc. Barbecue, sushi, and noodles. Rangpur and tonic, Tempranillo, and Guinness. Not necessarily together.
  • Video games - I used to play a lot, but now I mainly play the classic adventure and RPG franchises: Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda Elder Scrolls, and Pokemon. Occasionally, World of Warcraft. Mario Kart is always a multiplayer favorite.
The problem always is finding others who are interested in these things and with whom I mesh well. Mainly the second part.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:35 pm »
Quote from: Centurion
-Reading: My college reading schedule was so intense that I've barely had time to read any new fantasy or sci-fi over the last few years, but I try to keep up with authors I know I like.
-Illustration: There was a time when I almost went to art school.
-Writing: I've been writing short stories and little one-offs for over ten years.  I'm not published, but I just finished my first novel so hopefully that will change.
-Tabletop Gaming: I used to play the old Games Workshop standbys, but they've finally priced themselves out of the market (and done a lot of other stuff to piss me off).  Now I focus on historical war gaming (Napoleon, 30 Years War, WWII, etc.). 
-History: I have my B.A. in this discipline.  I'm thinking about laminating it and making a placemat.
-RPGs (also the tabletop kind): I play a little ADnD, and a friend of mine is putting together an L5R campaign that should be fun.
-Video Games: I don't really play video games anymore, but I couldn't even begin to tell you how much time I sunk into Final Fantasy 7 and Morrowind.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:48 pm »
I couldn't even begin to tell you how much time I sunk into Final Fantasy 7 and Morrowind.

Boots of Blinding Speed cuts down on the time spent. Eh? EH?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 10:23:04 pm »
Boots of Blinding Speed cuts down on the time spent. Eh? EH?

Lol.  I actually used Boots of the Apostle most of the time just because the only magic I ever leveled was Enchanting, and the Levitate spell came in handy--especially when you had deal with the %^$ing Telvanni.  Loved those boots.