The next time you come before me

• 8 Replies

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:02:29 pm »
  Drusas Achamian *fell to his knees* [emphasis original] upon wicked Shigogli, old and wrecked and more confounded than he had ever been. He opened his arms, tears spilling hot, beseeching …
  “Kellhus!”
  The Holy Aspect-Emperor paused to regard him, an inked apparition, wrenching for the carrion profundity of his Mark. For the first time Achamian noticed all the faces peering from the shadowy slots about them, men squinting at the dark, wondering at the truth beneath the ancient tongue Kellhus had used to conceal their exchange.
  “This one thing …” Achamian cried. “Please … Kellhus … I beg.” Sobs shook him. Tears spilled. “This one thing …”   
  A single heartbeat. Piteous. Impotent.
  “Tend to your women, Akka.”
  The old Wizard flinched, coughed for the pang in his breast, flew to his feet upon bursting rage. “Murderer!”
  Never had a word seemed so small.

I always expected a moment of reconciliation, where they would reunite and put aside their differences to defeat the Consult together.

It's more a warning that when Achamian next saw him, and witnessed the full extent of what Kellhus had to do to defeat the Consult, Achamian's own weakness would overwhelm him with anguish at the enormity of what needed to be done, and his own inability to accept it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:05:30 pm by Bolivar »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:05:51 pm »
Just like a moment earlier in TUC where Mimara basically tells him the Nautzera was right and Inrau was a fair price against the apocalypse. Achamian and his humanity was too weak to do what was required to save the world.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Nemojbatkastle

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:36:34 pm »
Weirdly, I read Kellhus' forthrightness with Akka to be as warm & cuddly as he gets. At least there's no manipulation, I read it as saying 'you can't do anything for Proyas, concentrate on the lives you can save'. Plus, some shade, but that's normal. IMHO, Akka's women are going to have a lot to do in coming weeks and month, so this could be Kell dropping some hints for the next series.

TwoMinutesToApocalypse

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:34:02 pm »
I'm pretty happy with the way this scene turned out.  I was a little concerned that Akka would come around and see Kellhus as the truth and his savior.  The fact that he's still a dick after all these years sits well with me.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 02:32:21 am »
Akka stays true to himself. Holds vital info about the NG, says nothing.

Kellhus trying to justify his ends.

I was looking forward to this scene but the plot gags their conversation pretty hard imo.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:19:28 pm »
Akka stays true to himself. Holds vital info about the NG, says nothing.

Kellhus trying to justify his ends.

I was looking forward to this scene but the plot gags their conversation pretty hard imo.

As it is wrapping up the final scene in TTT so many books later, their brief exchange was not as climactic as I wanted.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 01:41:16 pm »
 I expected more of it too.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 02:28:11 pm »
I thought of " You will kneel. " as in " We are no longer friends." .
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 05:00:19 pm »
The italics were a bit on the nose but I liked to how the scene played out, anti-climax and all.

As per my Almanac-esque reading:

Quote from: p258
"And what are you, Holy Tutor, but a snarl, a loose thread that I suffer?"
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer