General > News/Announcements

How grimdark is TDTCB?

<< < (6/8) > >>

Madness:
That actually got a really funny followup by him on facebook.

Yellow:

--- Quote from: TaoHorror on September 06, 2017, 01:03:47 am ---
--- Quote from: Yellow on August 24, 2017, 07:27:37 pm ---I've never read Mark Lawrence's books, but I might give them a try based on this result. Oooh, he's suckered me in ;)

--- End quote ---

Dude, don't. Waste of your time - his story is "ok", but not a good writer.

--- End quote ---

Noted ;)

Yellow:

--- Quote from: TaoHorror on September 06, 2017, 01:08:29 am ---
--- Quote from: tleilaxu on August 27, 2017, 07:18:02 pm ---Grimdark seems to have some negative connotations for Bakker.

--- End quote ---

As it should, seems to be a clumsy construct of having to categorize everything. I guess 2 words is too much ( i.e. Fantasy Horror ), so someone had to make a word up, thinking it was cool but quite the opposite, Grimdark is nerdy uncool ( the word, that is - not the works "falling into" this made up genre ).

I took "Grimdark" as a story where the protagonist/hero is evil.

So it appears, Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher, beat it out. Not that I give a shit that anything did, but anyone know this book? Any good?

--- End quote ---

I always thought it was taken (sarcastically) from 40k... "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war".

Though Games Workshop is far from what I would consider to be grimdark.

TaoHorror:

--- Quote from: Yellow on September 13, 2017, 11:07:06 am ---
--- Quote from: TaoHorror on September 06, 2017, 01:08:29 am ---
--- Quote from: tleilaxu on August 27, 2017, 07:18:02 pm ---Grimdark seems to have some negative connotations for Bakker.

--- End quote ---

As it should, seems to be a clumsy construct of having to categorize everything. I guess 2 words is too much ( i.e. Fantasy Horror ), so someone had to make a word up, thinking it was cool but quite the opposite, Grimdark is nerdy uncool ( the word, that is - not the works "falling into" this made up genre ).

I took "Grimdark" as a story where the protagonist/hero is evil.

So it appears, Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher, beat it out. Not that I give a shit that anything did, but anyone know this book? Any good?

--- End quote ---

I always thought it was taken (sarcastically) from 40k... "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war".

Though Games Workshop is far from what I would consider to be grimdark.

--- End quote ---

Ah, nice - I bet you're right, has to come from somewhere. Personally, I'm fine with very generic classifications, like sci-fi, fantasy or fantasy horror if you will. Dan Simmons pretty much came up with sci-fi horror, but haven't seen much since that measures up - but I'm not well read, so maybe plenty out there that does.

Madness:

--- Quote from: Yellow on September 13, 2017, 11:07:06 am ---I always thought it was taken (sarcastically) from 40k... "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war".

--- End quote ---

As far as anyone can tell, that's where the nomenclature was sourced.

But I mean, in Abercrombie's interviews on the Grim Tidings podcast, he freely admits that he started his @LordGrimdark twitter account to "take the piss out of" (as they say) people calling his stuff Grimdark in the first place and inadvertently legitimized the sub-genre... so there's that ;).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version