Miscellaneous Chatter > The Forum of Interesting Things

74 Things That Blew Our Minds in 2017

<< < (2/6) > >>

TLEILAXU:

--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 06, 2018, 03:12:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 06, 2018, 02:58:39 pm ---
--- Quote ---35.
Intelligence doesn’t make someone more likely to change their mind. People with higher IQs are better at crafting arguments to support a position—but only if they already agree with it.
--- End quote ---
I knew it!

--- End quote ---

Does he mean that these people are only better at crafting arguments for positions that they already believe in? In other words, is their prior belief necessary for the creation of the arguments? Or is he making an intentional point about motivation?

--- End quote ---
I think it just means that intelligent people are just as blind to themselves, on average.

BeardFisher-King:

--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 07, 2018, 07:04:25 am ---
--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 06, 2018, 03:12:46 pm ---
--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 06, 2018, 02:58:39 pm ---
--- Quote ---35.
Intelligence doesn’t make someone more likely to change their mind. People with higher IQs are better at crafting arguments to support a position—but only if they already agree with it.
--- End quote ---
I knew it!

--- End quote ---

Does he mean that these people are only better at crafting arguments for positions that they already believe in? In other words, is their prior belief necessary for the creation of the arguments? Or is he making an intentional point about motivation?

--- End quote ---
I think it just means that intelligent people are just as blind to themselves, on average.

--- End quote ---
Well, Tleilaxu, "changing one's mind" is clearly an act of will and requires some kind of motivation, regardless of intelligence. I'm pretty smart, and I've changed my mind on the importance of religion, the aesthetics of rock music, and the designated hitter rule.

Regardless, the writer was unclear, I think you'll agree.

Madness:
Did anyone read through to the citation?

Also, this!

BeardFisher-King:
Actually, Madness, I never clicked on the link in your OP. I was simply asking a question about the quote embedded in Tleilaxu's post.

Cheers!
-BFK

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 07, 2018, 01:47:53 pm ---Regardless, the writer was unclear, I think you'll agree.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 09, 2018, 06:31:56 pm ---I never clicked on the link in your OP. I was simply asking a question about the quote embedded in Tleilaxu's post.

--- End quote ---
I find most writers unclear when I don't ... you know ... actually read the writing.
Knowing the context of something before jumping into the middle of it is usually helpful - I think you'll agree.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version