Miscellaneous Chatter > General Misc.

BFK's Music Corner

<< < (2/6) > >>

TLEILAXU:

--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 29, 2018, 04:19:42 am ---
--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 29, 2018, 03:41:00 am ---I play guitar. I'm really bad at it, but slowly improving. I have no songs yet, only a couple of riffs I need to stitch together.

--- End quote ---
Are you playing acoustic guitar, or electric? Either way, stick with it. Listen to other guitarists. Copy from the good, steal from the best, then make it your own.

Stitching riffs together....ahhh, that's where the shit gets interesting! (Sometimes that's where the shit hits the fan, but hey, that's showbiz!)

--- End quote ---
I have one of each, but I suppose your question is whether I play with fingers or a pick. I play with a plectre, because metal  8). I try to practice every day for at least 30 minutes. The dream would be to get good enough and have enough material to release an EP or something a year or two from now.

BeardFisher-King:

--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 29, 2018, 04:43:36 am ---
--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 29, 2018, 03:41:00 am ---I play guitar. I'm really bad at it, but slowly improving. I have no songs yet, only a couple of riffs I need to stitch together.

--- End quote ---
Are you playing acoustic guitar, or electric? Either way, stick with it. Listen to other guitarists. Copy from the good, steal from the best, then make it your own.

Stitching riffs together....ahhh, that's where the shit gets interesting! (Sometimes that's where the shit hits the fan, but hey, that's showbiz!)

--- End quote ---
I have one of each, but I suppose your question is whether I play with fingers or a pick. I play with a plectre, because metal  8). I try to practice every day for at least 30 minutes. The dream would be to get good enough and have enough material to release an EP or something a year or two from now.

--- End quote ---
Does a guitarist gain speed and accuracy of attack by using a pick?

As a keyboardist, I've always been fascinated by the guitar. The multiple ways of playing the same pitch is so foreign to a pianist.

Live the dream!

TLEILAXU:

--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 29, 2018, 11:18:31 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

As a keyboardist, I've always been fascinated by the guitar. The multiple ways of playing the same pitch is so foreign to a pianist.

Live the dream!

--- End quote ---
You certainly gain speed! Other than that, it just unlocks a different set of options and it's easier to learn. Can't really tremolo pick sweet chords with fingers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1VL09nWrU
For me the thing that stands out most when comparing piano and guitar is sustain of tones. One of my favorite things in music is "evil" arpeggios with minor seconds and they sound quite different on piano and guitar. More of a screechy sound on guitar.

BeardFisher-King:

--- Quote from: TLEILAXU on January 29, 2018, 01:49:50 pm ---
--- Quote from: BeardFisher-King on January 29, 2018, 11:18:31 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Live the dream!

--- End quote ---
You certainly gain speed! Other than that, it just unlocks a different set of options and it's easier to learn. Can't really tremolo pick sweet chords with fingers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO1VL09nWrU
For me the thing that stands out most when comparing piano and guitar is sustain of tones. One of my favorite things in music is "evil" arpeggios with minor seconds and they sound quite different on piano and guitar. More of a screechy sound on guitar.

--- End quote ---
I'm guessing that the enhanced sustain of an amplified guitar tone makes those minor seconds really squeal, compared to a piano (even with the sustain pedal engaged). How far do you take those arpeggios? One octave? Two?

BeardFisher-King:
Two new arrivals from across the water landed chez BFK last week.

1. A box set of "Bruford: 1977-1980". My favorite jazz-rock fusion band (with an English twist).

2. English electric guitarist Steve Hackett's latest live concert DVD, "Wuthering Heights; Live In Birmingham". I've got about 5 of these concerts in my collection. He goes from strength to strength; excellent band, excellent music!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version