Earwa > The Warrior-Prophet

Serwe: The horns...but I haven't heard the horns...

<< < (2/4) > >>

Wilshire:
There is nothing to say that the gods, or the god, cannot be fooled. Kellhus could have very well convinced the outside agency that he is some kind of higher divinity.

Baztek:
Individual gods, yes, but I seriously doubt a single soul could fool the immanent being it helps comprise.

Cüréthañ:
Depends whether the God is immanent in any way other than 'impartial' judgement. 
For me, Serwe represents innocence, therefore her 'judgement' is unclouded by mundane (i.e. subjective) truths.
On the question of Kellhus being able to fool the divine, remember; "You are the one soul I need not teach."
I don't remember Khellus ever decieving Serwe. 
She says something about his assumed divinity and Kellhus responds by telling her its a sham ("I am just the promise").
Even on the subject of Cnaiur, he just tells her she has to put up with the barbarian because Khellus needs him.
She tells Kellhus her baby is his and he's all like "nuh-uh" and she accuses Kellhus of trying to hurt her.  He responds by accepting it as the truth...

On topic, imo the horns are just the call to wake the encampments and get the army moving and Serwe likes to sleep.

Wilshire:
Well I would say that the 'individual gods' and an 'immanent god' are two entirely different things. The so-called Gods (as they are referred to every time in the appendix) are just power-hungry ciphrang, while the one god, may be something more. It is likely, in my mind, that he could end up fooling one of the hundred, but if there is a One God who has some kind of omnipotence, that would be much more difficult (and far less likely. I would say impossible).

Cüréthañ:
Agree there Wilshire.  Talking about the uber-god in this context. 
Although I lean towards omniscience over omnipotence. 
Indications so far are the the God does nothing but sees all.

Again (off topic), I raise the point that Ciphrang have been described as having angelic manifestations as well as demonic.  The term 'hunger' as Bakker uses it, arises from desribing base motivational desires that inform action but are disconnected from cold reason.  I think there is an interpretive tendency for us readers to give this entirely negative connotations.  As you put it; 'power-hungry'.
But what about the 'hunger' for essentials?  Shelter, love, community etc. 

Consider Yatwer's portfolio; birth, fertility and altruistic giving.  All concepts relating to primitive community.  These are the things that she prizes, the things she hungers for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version