Interesting Thoughts on Human Perception

• 6 Replies

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:39:12 am »
Currently reading about some brain wrinkling stuff relating to perception, made me think about BBT:

1) A Cartoon Epistemology.

An interesting comic about how what we see and what is out there don't have to match up. The implications of this are rather...well, crazy if you agree with the author's conclusions.

2) The Interface Theory of Perception:Natural Selection Drives True Perception To Swift Extinction

I think the reason I thought of BBT should be obvious. :-)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:19:37 am by sciborg2 »

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:09:51 am »
Stubbies! Aussie as, maayyyyte!

(heh, inadvertant pun in the 'mate' part...)

Sounds plausible to me - perception which is the most (at that point in evolution) conductive to remaining alive is the important one.

Ties into the idea in Disciple of the Dog, that photograhic memory is actually a throwback.

Possibly somewhat like nonmen, as we began to live longer lives accurate memory became quite a hinderance to living.

Oh, managed to tie it into two of the books and everything! :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:16:53 am by Callan S. »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:20:58 am »
I'll have to pursue those comics later, sci.

And I did a light reading of this paper when you posted it but I need to give a deeper read.

I will just mention that the comic has the shades of it right, if the description is more philosophical than psychological. But yes, it seems we're interacting with and living in a mediated and illusory perceptual representation of the world (I liked the bubble in skull in the first strip).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »
Real quick - on Lehar's cartoon what he's saying is that we interact with the world through an interface that is akin to a First Person game.

However, as he notes elsewhere, the "entire universe" is not simulated all at once and the brain leaves information out or stops discernment after a distance.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:29:39 pm »
I will just mention that the comic has the shades of it right, if the description is more philosophical than psychological. But yes, it seems we're interacting with and living in a mediated and illusory perceptual representation of the world (I liked the bubble in skull in the first strip).

Yeah, it's odd at first to think how the body you subjectively experience is really in a video game existing in your mind....but I fail to see a good counter proposal so I'll have to read up on Lehar's critics.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
Lehar has a free book up on epistemology called Boundaries.

Having Have not gotten far as I just started reading it over the weekend but so far I like it. Feels clearer than many texts I've encountered.

The boundaries of our knowledge pertain not only to the universe’s spatial extent, but also to its essence. What is space, or time, or space-time? Or, as philosophers like to phrase it, what is the ontology (is-ness, ultimate nature) of space-time?

Ontology is one of those comforting words that we use to paste over ultimate mysteries to shield us from their frightening glare. What kind of explanation could possibly be satisfactory to account for the ultimate nature of space and time? And a similar ontological quandary hangs over the ultimate nature of matter, and energy. In physics we describe these things with mathematical equations and formulae that predict how matter and energy behave. But matter and energy are more than just equations, they have material existence, and extendedness in space and time, something that an equation does not have. As for time, astronomers assure us that it has a finite beginning at the moment of the big bang, which they assure us, has been reconstructed to the minutest fraction of a second after its spontaneous coming into existence. But as to what, if anything, occurred before the big bang, or whether it is even meaningful to think of anything occurring then, or what the ultimate fate of the universe might be at the other end of the time line, these too are mysteries too great to be grasped in any meaningful way, so we label them neatly and file them for future reference.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:53:56 pm »
Truer Perceptions Are Fitter Perceptions Should be Retired

"Those of our predecessors who perceived the world more accurately enjoyed a competitive advantage over their less-fortunate peers. They were thus more likely to raise children and to become our ancestors. We are the offspring of those who perceived more truly, and we can be confident that our perceptions are, in the normal case, reasonably accurate. There are of course endogenous limits. We can, for instance, see light only in a narrow window of wavelengths between roughly 400 and 700 nanometers, and hear sound only in a narrow window of frequencies between 20 and 20,000 Hertz. Moreover we are prone, on occasion, to have perceptual illusions. But with these provisos noted, it is fair to conclude on evolutionary grounds that our perceptions are, in general, reliable guides to reality.

This is the consensus of researchers studying perception via brain imaging, computational modeling and psychophysical experiments. It is mentioned in passing in many professional publications, and stated as fact in standard textbooks.

But it gets evolution wrong. Fitness and truth are distinct concepts in evolutionary theory. To specify a fitness function one must specify not just the state of the world but also, inter alia, a particular organism, a particular state of that organism, and a particular action. Dark chocolates can kill cats, but are a fitting gift from a suitor on Valentine's Day.

Monte Carlo simulations using evolutionary game theory, with a wide range of fitness functions and a wide range of randomly created environments, find that truer perceptions are routinely driven to extinction by perceptions that are tuned to the relevant fitness functions. The extension of these simulations to evolutionary graphs is in progress, and the same result is expected. Simulations with genetic algorithms find that truth never gets on the stage to have a chance to go extinct.

Perceptions tuned to fitness are typically far less complex than those tuned to truth. They require less time and resources to compute, and are thus advantageous in environments where swift action is critical. But even apart from considerations of time and complexity, true perceptions go extinct simply because natural selection selects for fitness not truth.

We must take our perceptions seriously. They have been shaped by natural selection to guide adaptive behaviors and to keep us alive long enough to reproduce. We should avoid cliffs and snakes. But we must not take our perceptions literally. They are not the truth; they are simply a species-specific guide to behavior.

Observation is the empirical foundation of science. The predicates of this foundation, including space, time, physical objects and causality, are a species-specific adaptation, not an insight. Thus this view of perception has implications for fields beyond perceptual science, including physics, neuroscience and the philosophy of science. The old assumption that fitter perceptions are truer perceptions is deeply woven into our conception of science. The funeral of this assumption will not be snubbed with a back-page obituary, but heralded with regime change."