Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:06:01 pm »
Somewhat unrelated to what this thread will grow into but an interesting rant regardless: Mythological Origins of Language Diversity: Are You Fluent in Proto-World?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 05:05:52 pm »
Here is an interesting clip from the movie Waking life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnQu30kQ2c

I think this lady is onto something Wittgenstein was onto in his Fractatus Logico Philosophicus book.

It is interesting that we sense this meaning in abstract discussion, when we know that words are dead symbols put into a logical structure as sentences etc. I do not know much Wittgenstein(so arrest me if I misrepresent him, long time ago:)). I think he meant that abstract philosophical discussion was pointless, since language was a description tool. It describes objects. So by using this tool to discuss abstract thoughts is basically goobledygook.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:29:37 pm »
Here is an interesting clip from the movie Waking life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnQu30kQ2c

I think this lady is onto something Wittgenstein was onto in his Fractatus Logico Philosophicus book.

It is interesting that we sense this meaning in abstract discussion, when we know that words are dead symbols put into a logical structure as sentences etc. I do not know much Wittgenstein(so arrest me if I misrepresent him, long time ago:)). I think he meant that abstract philosophical discussion was pointless, since language was a description tool. It describes objects. So by using this tool to discuss abstract thoughts is basically goobledygook.

I love Waking Life.

You should revisit Wittgenstein now that you've gained some more life perspective.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:31:24 pm »
Yeah, its a shame there is very little of him available in Norwegian. He is kind of heavy in English :)

In other words Norway sucks. It is disturbing how little I can get my hands on in Norwegian.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »
What about Mckennas view that the world is made of language? Probably not him who brought that idea forth, but I am in the middle of food of the gods and he presents the idea there:)

We are all linguistic architects in a sense.