D&D module "inspired" by PON?

• 3 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« on: September 14, 2019, 06:33:17 pm »
Anyone here play D&D? I'm going through the Tomb of Annihilation adventure and me thinks the "Soul Monger" creature/thing has a tie into PON. Could be coincidence, I guess. Something ( I haven't completed the adventure yet, but there's evidence suggesting it's a Lich - that and the fucking module cover has a picture of a Lich on the front ) has figured out how to steal souls and when they began to do so, Resurrection Spells/Magic stopped working and instead the deceased person's soul goes to the Soul Monger instead of the Outer Planes ( Heave, Hell, etc ). This soul stealing has the odor of TNG soul reading, shutting the world, womb plague to me.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 06:38:51 pm »
It might be inspired by PoN, though there have been a few "issues with the soul cycle" that preceded PoN's publication.

For example there was one where the PCs are expected to go to the Positive Energy Plane and protect the new born souls b/c some entity (an evil dragon IIRC) was doing some scheme.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 02:11:22 pm »
Don't forget that Eärwa was inspired, itself, as a D&D campaign setting that Bakker ran year and years ago.  It was then fashioned into a stand alone world.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:28:09 pm »
It might be inspired by PoN, though there have been a few "issues with the soul cycle" that preceded PoN's publication.

For example there was one where the PCs are expected to go to the Positive Energy Plane and protect the new born souls b/c some entity (an evil dragon IIRC) was doing some scheme.

Good point - maybe some of this is not original material, or at least thought/written about before PON independently. That sounds like a fun module, I'll have to track that one down.

Don't forget that Eärwa was inspired, itself, as a D&D campaign setting that Bakker ran year and years ago.  It was then fashioned into a stand alone world.

Yes and I remember someone designing the campaign here in TSA year+ back. I'll have to track that down, not sure if it was completed. I didn't follow it closely as I've already took some stuff from PON for my world and sticking to it. I took some terminology and repurposed it and had my own 2,000 year old ( I made it 2300 years to not egregiously "borrow" the idea ) apocalypse and the concept of a ( cult? ) following a dead idea that most of the world doesn't believe in ( in my campaign's case, the existence of Heaven Outer Plane ). I can go into more of my campaign story if there's interest. Anyways - rereading my post, comes across as an accusation, but meant it more as flattery to the PON, not a "steal" of the material.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff