YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2016, 02:23:52 pm »
Lol - this isn't even the target thread. It's proportionately more fallen behind than this thread, considering the passing of year and the infrequency that SR and I update the thread.

What have I been reading... not much because I'm going through TGO for errata and getting settled after a move.

Oh, well, Siddhartha's Brain and The Secret War - both very slowly though because SB is simply old information reorganized around a new narrative for me and TSW is as dense as its sibling All Hell Let Loose, which was really difficult reading emotionally.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Parsh

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2016, 08:25:13 pm »
Just finished Half a War last night by Abercrombie. Great twist to the end of the book, usual JA fashion. I've been on my TSA reread for over a month, just digging in here and there, taking my time. I think I'll finish up this Shattered Sea Trilogy, since its really good and he's just so enjoyable to read, love his humor. Then, I'll try and give Tigana by Kavriel another go.

I read the Shattered Sea trilogy this summer and quite enjoyed it. It was my first exposure to Abercrombie. I also read Best Served Cold this summer and plan to read all the rest of it when I get a chance.

Right now, I'm reading Emperor of Thorns (finishing up another trilogy that I started this summer). As it happens, though, I am an educator and school is starting, so my reading time is rapidly drying up. It's a shame, because I still have an awful lot of books on my TBR pile, some of them physically sitting in my house, others taking up space on my iPod in the Kindle app.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2016, 11:32:06 am »
The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin should be arriving today.  I'm going to try to read it as quick as I can and let you guys know what I think.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »
The Obelisk Gate by N. K. Jemisin should be arriving today.  I'm going to try to read it as quick as I can and let you guys know what I think.
Going to buy on kindle right this moment if its possible. Loved the first book.

ETA:Got it. $9.99.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:36:22 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 23, 2016, 07:59:55 pm »

Did you finish yet?  I did just yesterday.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 23, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »
How was that book and the series. Good? You should make a new thread if you want to discuss it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 23, 2016, 08:58:39 pm »

Did you finish yet?  I did just yesterday.

Nope. I'm going to start it tonight. I was on a different book at that moment. Im so ready to dive in though.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:02 pm »
Nope. I'm going to start it tonight. I was on a different book at that moment. Im so ready to dive in though.

OK, made a thread here for the whole series with spoilers, so avoid it until you are done.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2016, 01:00:12 am »

OK, made a thread here for the whole series with spoilers, so avoid it until you are done.

Lol. I read this then scrolled down a lil and seen the new thread and scrolled really, really hard. I will, it won't be long til we can discuss. Its a great story, with so many ways it could play out. Starting it in about T-35 mins.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2016, 12:43:39 pm »
Just finished Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft, it was pretty good, worth the read for sure.

You can find Wert's Review here.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:21:37 pm by Wilshire »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »
I couldn't find the right fiction I really wanted to read, (i.e. TUC, haha) so time to switch gears and cleanse the pallet with non-fiction.  Starting with The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt, which is pretty good so far.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 23, 2017, 07:50:18 pm »
I recently finished the Three Body trilogy by Cixin Liu. I'm wondering if anyone else is reading it. I found the books unusually interesting for SF.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:03:51 pm by Beardfisher King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #222 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:53 am »
PERSEPOLIS

THE AUTHORITATIVE CALVIN AND HOBBES

THE UNHOLY CONSULT

DARTH PLAGUEIS

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2017, 03:32:11 am »
The pain finally diminished enough that I felt comfortable to read a whole book - rather than pieces of - for the first time in a month. I needed something fiction to get the gears grinding good again so I picked up the copy of James S.A. Corey's Cibola Burn I'd bought last Christmas, a book I'd avoided reading for years because of a review at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist.

I regret avoiding it for so long. Read it in a little less than six hours over last night and tonight and it was great, just as the series has been so far - though I understand Pat's complaint about the narrative tightness now. Looking forward to picking up Nemesis Games and Abaddon's Gate when I have expendable income again.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Fenris777

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2017, 12:41:05 am »
I'm currently re-reading the Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. They're marvelous.