• 228 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2014, 04:17:38 pm »
No way the Dunyain have their own Hari Seldon Prophecy.

I wasn't implying that Kellhus would fail his mission, only that the mission as he knew it might have been a lie right from the start. If the Dunyain truely tried to send him to Shimeh, then they probably guessed that he would make it, but I just don't think that was their initial intent.

Like SOA mentioned, as far as we now the Dunyain don't factor in metaphysics into their causality chain. I'm saying that regardless of what the initial intent of sending Kellhus into the world was, none of them could have correctly predicted Kellhus becoming what he is. Which, imo, includes some Hari Seldon/Dunyain Nostradamus.

The only way they could have foreseen Kellhus' ascension  would be if they were working closely with either the Nonmen, the Consult (extremely unlikely), a select few World-Born (also unlikely), or if they had secret Dunyain agents in the world already.

Even if the Pragma (or whatever the ruling caste is) knew about magic and the outside, I still have some doubt that they could have done it... Though I would allow for them being able to predict it all if, and only if, the end-game was to forge Kellhus into the only Self Moving Soul.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:58:14 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2014, 09:45:34 pm »

Dunyain Nostra-Sheldon ;)!

Like SOA mentioned, as far as we now the Dunyain don't factor in metaphysics into their causality chain. I'm saying that regardless of what the initial intent of sending Kellhus into the world was, none of them could have correctly predicted Kellhus becoming what he is. Which, imo, includes some Hari Seldon/Dunyain Nostradamus.

Well, we have it on pretty good authority - the first prologue - that the bulk of the Dunyain are ignoring some foundational variables of the greater world in their quest for purity in isolation.

But Dunyain Haridamus!

The only way they could have foreseen Kellhus' ascension  would be if they were working closely with either the Nonmen, the Consult (extremely unlikely), a select few World-Born (also unlikely), or if they had secret Dunyain agents in the world already.

I've previously posited the first and the fourth seems likely. Previous iterations of Kellhus and Moenghus let out into the world?

Even if the Pragma (or whatever the ruling caste is) knew about magic and the outside, I still have some doubt that they could have done it... Though I would allow for them being able to predict it all if, and only if, the end-game was to forge Kellhus into the only Self Moving Soul.

Or Kellhus symbiosis?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »

Dunyain Nostra-Sheldon ;)!

Sorry but Sheldon is a character from a TV show, Seldon is the character from the book.

My only reservation would be that its possible the Dunyain where planning for the long-game right from the start. Not particularly likely, but possible.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:58:25 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2014, 12:38:56 pm »
Seldon... I guess Sheldon is appropriate :P.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2014, 01:12:28 pm »
Going off the deep end: Ishual is *entirely* made up for Kellhus' conditioning.  There are no Dunyain, it's just the fiction to get the right kind of fanatic.  Akka will be finding out things Kellhus is entirely blind to because the Dunyain narrative is stamped too deep into mind (just like it's stamped too deep into mine to take my own crazy seriously).

Upside: huge twist for the reader!  Ultimate wtf moment for Kellhus when his plans foil at the end of TUC.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:50 pm »
New crazy: Ishual destroyed by sranc...from within!  That first batch of sranc that attacked years ago were subdued and put into breeding cages.  These Dunyain Sranc became too powerful and clever and brought the whole thing down.  They are going to surprise everyone since they serve neither Kellhus nor the Black Heaven.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2014, 08:13:40 pm »
I'll allow from within, i.e from the depth, but I can't go along with crazy breeding program. If Ishual was built on an old Mansion, its possible sranc simply (finally) made it to the surface, see: Cil'Aujas.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:58:37 pm by Wilshire »

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2014, 12:49:38 am »
I'll allow from within, i.e from the depth, but I can't go along with crazy breeding program. If Ishual was built on an old Mansion, its possible sranc simply (finally) made it to the surface, see: Cil'Aujas.

Young Dunyain surviving in the labyrinth = equals surviving sranc that filter in from down below?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:55 pm »
Read the prologue for TDTCB recently (I'm almost through the book again): the Dunyain who receive Moenghus the Elder's dream messages meet in the Thousand Thousand Halls, implying that they live and hold counsel there.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2014, 02:34:59 pm »
Dunyain counseling in absolute darkness does seem fitting--the dark would seem to isolate a lot of style from content.  Dunyains just exchange propositions in flat voices in the dark.

I wonder if Mimara will hear them the way she saw images from Cil-Aujus' past?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2014, 07:40:45 am »
I hadn't considered that it might be a Topos from all the torture and eugenics. Still, I'd think Kellhus would have remembered something like that.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2014, 11:11:10 am »
I doubt it too.  I think causes of the topoi at Cil Aujis, Golgotteroth and Mengedda were deliberate.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2014, 04:52:58 pm »
Read the prologue for TDTCB recently (I'm almost through the book again): the Dunyain who receive Moenghus the Elder's dream messages meet in the Thousand Thousand Halls, implying that they live and hold counsel there.

Hold counsel yeah, don't know if that implies that they live down there though.
Dunyain counseling in absolute darkness does seem fitting--the dark would seem to isolate a lot of style from content.  Dunyains just exchange propositions in flat voices in the dark.
Reminds me of Second Foundation. They had whole meetings with groups of people without speaking words, just looking at eachother faces. You described the opposite, but to much the same effect.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:58:48 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2014, 01:25:01 pm »
Reminds me of Second Foundation. They had whole meetings with groups of people without speaking words, just looking at eachother faces. You described the opposite, but to much the same effect.

I really enjoy how much we read into the Asimov connections now.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2014, 04:57:12 pm »
Whether or not they are intentional, parallels can be drawn to all the great works.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:58:55 pm by Wilshire »