mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 09:27:07 am »
I like whatever.  Just glad there are good people who keep it running in whatever shape.  I don't see the need to make big changes but I am in no way qualified to know anything.

mostly.harmless

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »
I second that.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 12:56:56 am »
Might mention that one reason we discussed moving hosting sites is because the current one doesn't seem to provide consistent service. If it is struggling with the current load, this forum won't be able to get any bigger. A change in server host is guarding agains the future, and planning for growth.

As for format, I took a gander at Discourse, can't say I liked it. It seems a bit too loud, and a bit too much pop-culture for TSA.

I like this site layout, but wouldn't mind a new format, as long as its similarly styled. I liked the SA v1 format as well, for reference.

If we have the programming capabilities I'd say a homebrew TSA would be extraordinary, and my first choice.

Any idea on when you would prefer to move the site Madness?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:01 am »
Lot of work to build a forum from the ground up.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:25 pm »
Sovin (it was aengelas on SA v1, that's why I mixed people up - too be honest, actually thought you had been registered here as aengelas, Sovin) mentioned upthread that the programming wasn't going to be able happen.

Also, Wilshire, I would have taken Sovin up on the offer a year ago if I'd actually crowdsourced an idea at forumer stage rather than jumping on the SA v2 hosting. But we got the .com out of that experience. And you are right, it's not consistent enough for me or to fill me with confidence about growth.

Honestly, I would hope that more people would speak up. I don't know how else I can reach out to people. Every member at SA v1 got a varied number of e-mails about the move and this thread (stupid broken forum spam)... and every member here was notified somehow based on my announcing the topic.

I'm also hesitant about Discourse because having this content semi-organized is a big part of what makes this place the way it is - I should look at some Discourse forums that aren't the sandbox trial. Hell, I guess at some point I will take some moments and actually do some research for this but Curethan is completely correct upthread: I want to crowdsource a membership generated answer because it satisfies appeals to democracy (which we all feel, I'd imagine) and I'm too busy to do any solid research... though now that the wheels are turning, class time needs to be used for something.

Long answer, Wilshire, I'm not rushing yet... probably around the turn of the month for the switch, assuming all is good on Sovin's end.

EDIT: Also, programming our own forum doesn't have to be off the table, Sovin just can't dedicate that time to it. Any other programmers reading this? Anyone with any type of intraweb savy, actually, as Sovin and I have talked about a fansite once or twice too. This place is whatever we, the membership, make of it.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 07:31:18 pm »
EDIT: Also, programming our own forum doesn't have to be off the table, Sovin just can't dedicate that time to it. Any other programmers reading this? Anyone with any type of intraweb savy, actually, as Sovin and I have talked about a fansite once or twice too. This place is whatever we, the membership, make of it.

This is what I was getting at ;). I'd imagine writing the whole thing would be too much for one person regardless, so it was my longshot hope that we might find several people who could help... Though I've tried to write some basic stuff with multiple people and it can get messy quick unless everyone knows exactly what to do. Something in the far future maybe, but we'll leave this seed here.

The Discourse sandbox example is not at all what I envision future TSA to be. Might be good to find other examples though.

1 month is a pretty short timeline. Considering  Madness' availability, my vote would be to keep the site as-is (continuing to use Simple Machine Forum [SMF]), at least for now. One step at a time :P. Once we are safely at a more or less permanent server, we can worry about changing formats.

BTW that is not to say we can't change formatting things with this site currently (and continually). If anyone doesn't like something, or has suggestions for adding/removing features, please post it somewhere or PM me or Madness. There is at least one topic (http://second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1111.0) that has already been started where some have asked for changes.

One of the biggest issues with making changes is low user participation in these democratic decisions, leaving a few of us to guess what the rest are thinking. That post has only 5 replies from 5 different users, but 142 views. Hard to say if people like or dislike ideas when no one answers.  We'd like to avoid making any overhauls that could potentially do more harm than good, and the only way to do that would be to have a bit more input.

I don't mean to stifle the discussion, but would anyone be irritated if we moved servers without making any major changes? I mostly just feel like that hammering out all the details and voting on which options to take will probably take more than a few weeks.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 11:29:59 pm »
There is also the sticky Suggestion Box thread.

Obviously, Wilshire, we'll make a decision based on the participation here (or hopefully rather, a decision will be made by participation here). Keeping the format the same and simply making the switch may be what happens. For now though, I think we have at least a week or two to let this sit and gestate.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:22 pm »
I don't mean to stifle the discussion, but would anyone be irritated if we moved servers without making any major changes? I mostly just feel like that hammering out all the details and voting on which options to take will probably take more than a few weeks.

I don't see any need for changes, but I have no expertise here

If you want, I can make some more accounts to like whatever happens.  :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 01:27:39 pm »
You have plenty of experience :P and your opinion was noted.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 10:38:46 am »
Lol - MG.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 02:42:58 pm »
Last call:

The 17th is the deadline for the switchover and if there are any other thoughts, you should get them in before then. Not to say "forever hold your peace", but flexibility will be limited. We want to limit major changes to the site as best as we can.:P

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 05:48:44 pm »
And by Tusks you mean penises right?

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 06:36:50 am »
And by Tusks you mean penises right?

Naturally the icon for "Redemption" will be an erect penis (rather than the facebook thumbs up) whilst the icon for damnation would be a flaccid penis.

And a tusk is just an erect penis in another form.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
Ah yes, a flaccid penis, because what is more damning than that?

And the Tusk simply is a penis, but we see it only through eyes blinded by adulation.