Miscellaneous Chatter > Writing

Articles on the Craft of Writing...

(1/2) > >>

Madness:
10 Can't Miss, Surefire Secrets Of Torturing Fictional People

mrganondorf:

--- Quote from: Madness on April 03, 2014, 11:10:54 pm ---10 Can't Miss, Surefire Secrets Of Torturing Fictional People

--- End quote ---

I was peculiarly touched by a torture part in Abercrombie's Best Served Cold:

(click to show/hide)Part where the northman gets one eye plucked out.  Really impacted me emotionally!

Madness:
Lol... Yeah. It wasn't actually the torture scene that bothered me most in his books. Though I've not yet read Red Country or The Heroes.

Francis Buck:
Really good link Madness. Despite it's title, this really serves as a way of teaching (or reminding) writers of how important conflict is. This can be anything from the most extreme example -- torture -- to something mundane, like a literal roadblock. Not just reaching goals, but being changed by the path to get there. 

This here is one of my favorites, really in depth and just a great source of wisdom on a variety of topics. Even though it's technically devoted to fantasy, any writer working in any genre can benefit from "Limayaael's Rants".

http://www.forresterlabs.com/limyaael/titlelistall

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 07, 2014, 10:31:20 pm ---
--- Quote from: Madness on April 03, 2014, 11:10:54 pm ---10 Can't Miss, Surefire Secrets Of Torturing Fictional People

--- End quote ---

I was peculiarly touched by a torture part in Abercrombie's Best Served Cold:

(click to show/hide)Part where the northman gets one eye plucked out.  Really impacted me emotionally!
--- End quote ---

IMO not as good as Glokta's remembered tortures , but that was pretty intense. Most of Abercrombie's stuff was intense for a fantasy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version