[TGO SPOILERS] Meppa is...

• 33 Replies

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 07:04:09 pm »
Edit - Aurang wanted to destroy the Cishaurim, so I don't think he'd help engineer the Last Cish.

Cribbing from Madness, the Consult wanted to destroy the Cish because they mistakenly thought the Water-bearers were unmasking the skin-spikes.  Once they discovered it was the Dunyain (and that Kellhus' father was among the Fanim), they might have changed their tune on eradicating the Cish.

Possible, yes.
Honor the Niom? Niom is my middle name.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 07:18:20 pm »
Edit - Aurang wanted to destroy the Cishaurim, so I don't think he'd help engineer the Last Cish.

Cribbing from Madness, the Consult wanted to destroy the Cish because they mistakenly thought the Water-bearers were unmasking the skin-spikes.  Once they discovered it was the Dunyain (and that Kellhus' father was among the Fanim), they might have changed their tune on eradicating the Cish.

Possible, yes.

It would be a pretty Aurang thing to do, make an enemy for your enemy...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:19 pm »

Possible, yes.

It would be a pretty Aurang thing to do, make an enemy for your enemy...
It would! I just don't think any of the evidence points to it being the boy, and there is evidence of it not being the boy.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 07:41:37 pm »
Well, it wouldn't be a proper TSA novel if we didn't have anything to debate! :-)

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 07:48:43 pm »
Well, it wouldn't be a proper TSA novel if we didn't have anything to debate! :-)
Ha ha ha. Indeed!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 03:34:08 am »

Indeed. Lol - thank you, profgrape :).

Something so simple as white hair is not going to deter me :P. I've known people in their early twenties to go randomly white.

The better question might be about what happens to him now?

Yeah. I haven't really put much thought into this as Meppa's living was very much something I glossed over and Som only pointed it out to me a couple months ago.

profgrape and I were talking earlier - these thoughts were from that conversation - but I have to believe that Meppa is important because he is the Last Cishaurim and I am convinced that we're still going to get Fanimry elucidated for us in later volumes. We then got into nerdanels regarding using Meppa to create a new No-God or short-circuit it from within, etc, etc.

But I've never been an avid theorist regarding the use of souls to create the No-God (which seems to be explicitly born out in that last dream so I'll have to start) so I just don't know...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 11:07:29 am »
But I've never been an avid theorist regarding the use of souls to create the No-God (which seems to be explicitly born out in that last dream so I'll have to start) so I just don't know...

I had once thought that there was some kind of "critical mass" of souls that they were working toward, but thinking more about it, that really doesn't make sense.  Instead, in light of the dream as it's presented in TGO, I think instead they are looking for a particular type of soul, perhaps a self-moving one.  This would explain, perhaps, why Nau-Cayûti was needed, or why the person in Akka's dream is of some importance.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »
Lol - even more opinion to bolster my random profgrape inspired conjecture that the Last Cishaurim has a "particular type of soul."

The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 12:29:53 pm »
Lol - even more opinion to bolster my random profgrape inspired conjecture that the Last Cishaurim has a "particular type of soul."

Plausible, but I am thinking that the significance of the dream is that the person he is seeing through is of particular relevance.

I would speculate that Meppa's role has more to do with Water than it does with his soul, even if those two are really related.

Of course, this is totally baseless though.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 03:19:52 am »
Of course, this is totally baseless though.

Nerdanels for the win.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2016, 02:11:45 pm »
So he is not a mashup of Moe and Cnaüir...:hangs head:! :(  It was a reach anyway, fun, but a huuuge reach.

I do like how it turned out though. As far as who he actually is, well, I don't think we'll ever find that out, or that it matters. I didn't notice that he was alive at the end, I'll have to go back and read that. That leaves some very interesting possibilities, indeed.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 09:22:16 pm »
My whole thought that Meppa would play a crucial role was based on the fact that the Consult wanted the Cishaurim destroyed in the PoN. As was pointed out, though, they wanted the Cish destroyed because they (Moe) were ghosting skin spies, not because the Psukhe was in some way more dangerous for the Consult.

SO from the point of view of the narrative, I am not sure there is a reason for Meppa's existence other than raising the stakes in Momemn. Fanayal wouldn't be much of a threat without at least one Cishaurim. I can't imagine Meppa wields more power than a metagnostic sorcerer. But I could be wrong.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 10:32:43 pm »
Maybe it's not about sheer power.  Maybe it's about the fact their sorcery creates no Mark.  I think Kellhus has some need for Meppa, otherwise why not just shred him with the metagnosis?  Why leave him alive?  He's important for some reason.  But that begs the question, why did he exterminate the Cishaurim in the first place if they held some kind of importance to his own goals?  Could be Meppa was a plant, either by Moenghus (I can hear Wilshire groaning already) or by Kellhus himself.  If he was 'programmed' to behave in a certain way, to give Fanayal false hope of toppling the New Empire, that may have been worth it just to bring Fanayal out of hiding.  He could very well be a Dunyain 'agent' of sorts.  Would explain the whole 'he doesn't know who he is' comment (whelming and all that).  If he was Moe's agent (stop it, Wilshire) it could have been as a retributive strike against Kellhus (not very likely, to be sure), or as a piece to the whole metaphysical predicament of Earwa.  Something Moe figured out that maybe he thought Kel would need.
No whistling on the slog!

Blackstone

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Kellhus Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 10:53:12 pm »
Maybe it's not about sheer power.  Maybe it's about the fact their sorcery creates no Mark.  I think Kellhus has some need for Meppa, otherwise why not just shred him with the metagnosis?  Why leave him alive?  He's important for some reason.  But that begs the question, why did he exterminate the Cishaurim in the first place if they held some kind of importance to his own goals?  Could be Meppa was a plant, either by Moenghus (I can hear Wilshire groaning already) or by Kellhus himself.  If he was 'programmed' to behave in a certain way, to give Fanayal false hope of toppling the New Empire, that may have been worth it just to bring Fanayal out of hiding.  He could very well be a Dunyain 'agent' of sorts.  Would explain the whole 'he doesn't know who he is' comment (whelming and all that).  If he was Moe's agent (stop it, Wilshire) it could have been as a retributive strike against Kellhus (not very likely, to be sure), or as a piece to the whole metaphysical predicament of Earwa.  Something Moe figured out that maybe he thought Kel would need.
You may be right, I just can't see what it would be. I have, however, been fooled many times before :)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 11:12:21 pm »
Oh, if Meppa is still alive, then it's because Kellhus has a use for him. I'd find it hilarious, that if in TUC, we find out that Moe had a hand in him. I seriously doubt it though. I believe @Wilshire has had his day in the sun, and there is No Mo' Moe!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 11:30:05 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,