Pets

• 38 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 11:52:11 am »
I suspect a wee offering of cheese or another treat and suddenly you have undivided attention :)

You know it would turn out just like that. ;D Ah, dogs.

Those giant floppy ears are very entrancing, though it makes me wonder if the poor dogs aren't super prone to ear infections (I know floppy-eared dogs usually are, my youngest Labrador, Zuri, has been a real martyr with those ever since she was young).
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 02:43:34 pm »
Odin!

Ah, fixed photo size, thanks guys!
[removed]

Odin is a pit bull(!). Laziest coach potato I've ever seen, dumb as a box a rocks, content to sleep on or next to you whenever the opportunity exists, and one of the friendliest animals I've ever seen. The perfect animal for me.

Rescued him from a shelter, I suspect he was abandoned and/or wandered off and got lost. Good thing someone put him in the pound and that a shelter took him in because the area we used to live in has a dog fighting problem. He probably would have ended up a bait dog or a fighter, so sad! Instead he's a semi-sentient potato :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:47:05 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »
Odin!

https://cloud.disroot.org/s/8ddps5dBcxwMiJR

Spoiler for size... Wow that's a big photo lol. Easier to see if you click the above link.
(click to show/hide)

Odin is a pit bull(!). Laziest coach potato I've ever seen, dumb as a box a rocks, content to sleep on or next to you whenever the opportunity exists, and one of the friendliest animals I've ever seen. The perfect animal for me.

Rescued him from a shelter, I suspect he was abandoned and/or wandered off and got lost. Good thing someone put him in the pound and that a shelter took him in because the area we used to live in has a dog fighting problem. He probably would have ended up a bait dog or a fighter, so sad! Instead he's a semi-sentient potato :)

Definitely a sweet potato, Wilshire. :)

He was lucky that you found him, it really seems he could have had a rough (and short) life otherwise.

Also, it's amusing that you named a dog that you consider "dumb as a box of rocks" after a Norse god known for his wisdom. ;) Deliberate?
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 03:22:43 pm »
I can't be sure why, but I wanted to name a dog Atlas, however he's too small (<70 pounds?), so I settled for another deity. Odin just has a nice ring too it. We didn't know he was dumb at the time lol.

He's also not terribly food motivated, which made training him a big pain. We sought professional help - and I'll tell you finding a good private dog trainer and getting 1 on 1 lessons is the best thing we ever did for him. He went from a wound up terror full of fear and anxiety to a lazy, relaxed dog. It was like magic! Highly recommend.

Side note: taking your dog to puppy classes and giving them treats is not how you properly train a dog. Most dogs need pack leaders first, not friends, to live happy and relaxed lives :) .

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 03:48:11 pm »
Odin is awesome, great looking pup!

I hear ya on the intellect - while studying their conscious experience is fascinating, the concept of "intelligence" falls short ( Hershey routinely barks at the birds and took him a year to "learn" he can't climb trees after squirrels and barking in a frenzy at them won't get them out of the tree ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 04:57:55 pm »
I suspect a wee offering of cheese or another treat and suddenly you have undivided attention :)

You know it would turn out just like that. ;D Ah, dogs.

Those giant floppy ears are very entrancing, though it makes me wonder if the poor dogs aren't super prone to ear infections (I know floppy-eared dogs usually are, my youngest Labrador, Zuri, has been a real martyr with those ever since she was young).

Yeah need cleaning regularly, the ears funnel scents to the nose.

If i get a basset hound i want to name him some grand name like Bartholomew the Duke of the Royal burgh of Linlithgow, and just call him Duke.

Yeah i'll rescue a dog when i get one.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 05:22:58 pm »
Rescue is both exciting, hopeful and heartbreaking all at once. Pet stores host rescue days where foster agencies bring dogs so people can adopt them out. So cool to see so many get a new home - but that's the sad aspect of it as well. So many dogs show up that you don't need to show up at opening to get first dibs - they will continue to show up throughout the day. The ideal dog for you may show at 3:00 in the afternoon, etc. We were happy to find Hershey so quickly, but kinda sad thinking it should've been harder, that there weren't so many dogs out there needing homes.  :(
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 08:31:33 pm »
Ahh, I miss having a dog. But, with a young one at home still in don't think its fair to have a dog and it get neglected in anyway. I told the kids when the oldest reached 10 we'd get a dog and most of the responsibility wpuld be theirs. The feeding, walking and so on. Right now I can't imagine adding the craziness of training a pup, when no still have a kid in diapers....you know.

I hated cats as a kid. Why? I really don't know. Other than long hair cats I'm allergic to. Short hair, no problems. Kids have asked for a cat, and their less maintenance, in my mind. Maybe ill try that out first.

We've tried fish. Ill be damned if I don't kill everyone. I've tried different tanks and followed all instructions. I can't keep em alive.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 09:58:50 pm »
I sponsor two dogs at my local Dog Trust. Charlie and Sammie, might try and get pictures of them.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:03:44 pm »
If i get a basset hound i want to name him some grand name like Bartholomew the Duke of the Royal burgh of Linlithgow, and just call him Duke.

A very grandiose sounding name seems like the right way to go for one of these doggies. Who will then likely imperiously ignore you when he/she doesn't want to do something. :P

Ahh, I miss having a dog. But, with a young one at home still in don't think its fair to have a dog and it get neglected in anyway. I told the kids when the oldest reached 10 we'd get a dog and most of the responsibility wpuld be theirs. The feeding, walking and so on. Right now I can't imagine adding the craziness of training a pup, when no still have a kid in diapers....you know.

I hated cats as a kid. Why? I really don't know. Other than long hair cats I'm allergic to. Short hair, no problems. Kids have asked for a cat, and their less maintenance, in my mind. Maybe ill try that out first.

We've tried fish. Ill be damned if I don't kill everyone. I've tried different tanks and followed all instructions. I can't keep em alive.

That's a good idea, about waiting until they're older. We got our first pet when I (the oldest) was 12 and my brother (the youngest) was 5 (turned 6 a few months later). It all worked out well. :)

You should give cats a second chance, they can be amazing pets!

I have never even entertained the possibility of getting fish (there were some my parents got when I was pretty young, but I barely remember them). I view them as even harder to keep alive than dogs or cats with all those minute requirements. I don't know how you feel about that - but I know that I wouldn't enjoy having a pet that wouldn't be able to form even the most tenuous emotional connection with me. I did say in the Quorum that I enjoy cats' more subdued affection in comparison to dogs' "clinginess", but with fish and the like you don't even get that.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 11:43:09 pm »
Quote from:  ToT
I have never even entertained the possibility of getting fish (there were some my parents got when I was pretty young, but I barely remember them). I view them as even harder to keep alive than dogs or cats with all those minute requirements. I don't know how you feel about that - but I know that I wouldn't enjoy having a pet that wouldn't be able to form even the most tenuous emotional connection with me. I did say in the Quorum that I enjoy cats' more subdued affection in comparison to dogs' "clinginess", but with fish and the like you don't even get that.

I feel the same exact way you do. Its just everyone we went to Wal-Mart, they begged and begged. Finally I relented, and gave it my best shot. Just not my thing I guess.

Yea, I've seen dogs neglected because of kids and the like. Dogs are a mans best friend. If you can't give them the attention the deserve, don't get one. I hate to see when a dog or any animal is neglected in anyway.

ETA:
You should give cats a second chance, they can be amazing pets!

I've been giving it a lot of consideration. As long aa its short hair, declawed, nutered or spayed, is be all for it. Plus there are so many at any shelter you go to. You know what happens if they can't get rid of them....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:46:23 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 02:21:43 pm »
Yea, I've seen dogs neglected because of kids and the like. Dogs are a mans best friend. If you can't give them the attention the deserve, don't get one. I hate to see when a dog or any animal is neglected in anyway.

Agree 100%. If you're going to give a pet to your kids, it has to be done responsibly and when they are mature/old enough to handle them well.

I've been giving it a lot of consideration. As long aa its short hair, declawed, nutered or spayed, is be all for it. Plus there are so many at any shelter you go to. You know what happens if they can't get rid of them....

MSJ, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I know this is a controversial topic, but please consider not declawing your future cat(s). It's a form of mutilation, basically the same as cutting off the first phalange of every finger in a human hand. It leaves them practically defenseless if they are outdoor cats/ever run away/etc.
There are other ways to discourage them from scratching things, such as giving them plenty of scratching posts and the like and using anti-pet sprays on the objects you don't want them to scratch. Plus, you can always trim their claws as you do with human nails. Of course, they will grow back, but if you get the cat used to this since early on, it might not be that difficult to have him/her tolerate the experience.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 05:58:03 pm »
Quote from:  ToT
MSJ, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I know this is a controversial topic, but please consider not declawing your future cat(s). It's a form of mutilation, basically the same as cutting off the first phalange of every finger in a human hand. It leaves them practically defenseless if they are outdoor cats/ever run away/etc.
There are other ways to discourage them from scratching things, such as giving them plenty of scratching posts and the like and using anti-pet sprays on the objects you don't want them to scratch. Plus, you can always trim their claws as you do with human nails. Of course, they will grow back, but if you get the cat used to this since early on, it might not be that difficult to have him/her tolerate the experience.

Thanks. It would definitely be a indoor cat. But, never having one or knowing much about them, I see your point.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 06:30:13 pm »
Haha, MSJ, you didn't realize what you brought up when you said 'declaw the cat'. Its a pretty sensitive subject for a lot of people.

I'm kind of not really sure how it compares to removing an animals reproductive organs rendering them both sterile and with permanently altered body chemistry, but hey I wouldn't want to lose my fingers any more than I'd want to lose other, squishier parts...

I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about it though. We need more pictures of furry friends!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:33:00 pm by Wilshire »

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »
Haha, MSJ, you didn't realize what you brought up when you said 'declaw the cat'. Its a pretty sensitive subject for a lot of people.

I'm kind of not really sure how it compares to removing an animals reproductive organs rendering them both sterile and with permanently altered body chemistry, but hey I wouldn't want to lose my fingers any more than I'd want to lose other, squishier parts...

I tried to get my point across in as civil a way as possible, as I don't want this thread to turn into a heated debate either. Ultimately it is MSJ's (potential) cat and his choice, I just gave my opinion on the matter. :)

Also, the loss of reproductive organs in cats cannot really be compared to the same thing in humans. Ultimately their life won't be that different in the long term after being spayed/neutered. While losing their claws can impact their life a great deal, especially if placed in a dangerous situation. But I know this is can be controversial for some people as well, so that's all I'll say on this matter.

I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about it though. We need more pictures of furry friends!

And yes, this is the point of the thread after all, so have a few pictures of my pets as babies (sadly, I have no idea where Luna's baby pictures are, Cherry was adopted as a 1 year old so I have none of him, and Ziggy is still half a baby):
Manchas aged 1 month (May 2003)

Cookie aged around 3 months (September 2005; he had an eye infection at the time, this was taken right after we adopted him)

Sacha aged 2 months (May 2007)

Zuri aged 4 months (April 2008)

Milu aged around 2 months (circa October 2013)