• Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2018, 12:28:45 pm »
But what about bacon?!

One of the few things I have left.

I also can't eat black pepper, corn, and basically any nuts.  The black pepper one is really annoying, because almost anything you buy premade or prepackaged has some in it.

I'm on the same path, but still overweight. My Forever Cookie recipe does have a non-dairy variant that's impressive - I can share it with you'all if interested, but don't want to derail you.

Ha, not going to derail me because I am no baker.  I'm curious how it makes up for the lack of protein to brown that the milk provides (or whatever the hell it actually does).  But if you'd rather not share though, that's cool.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »
Oh, fudge, you can't have nuts ( this has pecans ). Well, I don't "protect" my recipes, anyone can have it. Replace the peanut oil and butter ( in red ) with 190 grams of Butter Flavored Crisco ( 1 bar/stick if you purchase it that way - can also use 190 grams of Vegetable Oil, any oil you want really ) and 1 tablespoon of water ( bringing the total number of tablespoons of water to 2 ). Can't format well here, so I've included a picture too ( would be great if we could add attachments to our posts ). You could omit the crushed pecans, the cookies will still taste good, just come out flatter.

Forever Chocolate Chip Cookies GLUTEN FREE
By Barry Duran

Ingredients
•   330 grams Gluten Free Baking Mix
   165 grams King Arthur Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix
   165 grams King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour
•   1 teaspoon Baking Soda
•   1 teaspoon of Salt
•   112 grams ( 1 stick ) Butter ( un-salted )
   Mostly melted – don’t completely melt! ¾ melted will do
   ( 52 - 60 seconds microwave high if cold right out of the fridge )
•   95 grams Peanut Oil

•   1 tablespoon of Water
•   150 grams Sugar ( white )
•   155 grams Brown Sugar
   Florida Crystals Organic Brown Sugar
•   1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
•   1 Large Egg + 2 Yolks
•   120 grams Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
•   100 grams Pecans ( ground up fine in a blender )

Directions
1.   Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.   Grind up the Pecans in a blender to be as fine as you can
3.   Whisk together Flour, Salt, and Baking soda in a bowl, set aside
4.   Combine in Stand Mixer: Peanut Oil, Butter ( mostly melted ), Water,  Vanilla, Eggs and Yokes
5.   Add/Combine Sugars into the Butter\Oil Mixture
6.   Add/Combine Flour mixture into the Butter\Oil\Sugar Mixture
7.   Stir/Knead Pecans into the Butter\Oil\Sugar\Flour Mixture
8.   Stir in Chocolate Chips ( If you did it right, dough can be rolled up in a big clean ball – the chips won’t stick in the dough well, may have to push some back in )
9.   Let Dough sit for on the counter at room temperature for 30 minutes ( do NOT refrigerate )
10.   Using a 2 ½ inch scoop, evenly scoop and roll it in your hands to make smooth balls ( If you did it right, dough will ball up easy, but will be buttery/greasy making a mess on your hands. Some chips will still fall about, just push them in )
11.   Drop the balls onto a non-stick cookie sheet ( do NOT grease or use paper )
12.   Bake: 11 minutes
13.   Remove from the oven and remove onto a wire rack to cool completely
14.   Yield: 12 cookies

It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 05:01:14 pm »
Thanks man, appreciate it.

I've been (in general) substituting Ghee for butter.  But I think for baking it doesn't always work the same.  But, considering that shortening seems to work, I'd guess it still should.  I will print this out and let my wife take a crack at it.  She is the baker of the household.  Even though I still need to fix her stand mixer that our daughter broke...

We use, in general, the America's Test Kitchen gluten free flour mix though.  We might try the recipe it to christen the new house though, once we move.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2018, 05:04:27 pm »
Thanks man, appreciate it.

I've been (in general) substituting Ghee for butter.  But I think for baking it doesn't always work the same.  But, considering that shortening seems to work, I'd guess it still should.  I will print this out and let my wife take a crack at it.  She is the baker of the household.  Even though I still need to fix her stand mixer that our daughter broke...

We use, in general, the America's Test Kitchen gluten free flour mix though.  We might try the recipe it to christen the new house though, once we move.

You can try any flour you want, but I found only 1 that will make the cookie rise ( KA's Baking Mix ... even Bisquick's GF flour mix doesn't make them rise that much ... but too much of the Baking Mix makes them a bit "cakey", and found 1/2 of it and 1/2 of something else makes them rise the same without the cakey effect ). Didn't try it with the flour you list above, give it a go and see how it turns out. Try replacing just the butter with the Ghee and see how it goes, you could improve it for all I know.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2018, 05:28:26 pm »
You can try any flour you want, but I found only 1 that will make the cookie rise ( KA's Baking Mix ... even Bisquick's GF flour mix doesn't make them rise that much ... but too much of the Baking Mix makes them a bit "cakey", and found 1/2 of it and 1/2 of something else makes them rise the same without the cakey effect ). Didn't try it with the flour you list above, give it a go and see how it turns out.

We got a cook book from them and that was the flour mix they "recommend."  It's cheaper than the King Arthur ones, of course, because you mix it yourself.  They even mention the KA flours and what ends up different if you use it, but I don't recall off the top of my head.  We have had some stuff made with KA and it was quite good though.

Try replacing just the butter with the Ghee and see how it goes, you could improve it for all I know.

I think that is highly unlikely, but it might not ruin it.  The nice thing is that Ghee is perpetually about half melted at room temperature though.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2018, 06:00:58 pm »
You can try any flour you want, but I found only 1 that will make the cookie rise ( KA's Baking Mix ... even Bisquick's GF flour mix doesn't make them rise that much ... but too much of the Baking Mix makes them a bit "cakey", and found 1/2 of it and 1/2 of something else makes them rise the same without the cakey effect ). Didn't try it with the flour you list above, give it a go and see how it turns out.

We got a cook book from them and that was the flour mix they "recommend."  It's cheaper than the King Arthur ones, of course, because you mix it yourself.  They even mention the KA flours and what ends up different if you use it, but I don't recall off the top of my head.  We have had some stuff made with KA and it was quite good though.

Try replacing just the butter with the Ghee and see how it goes, you could improve it for all I know.

I think that is highly unlikely, but it might not ruin it.  The nice thing is that Ghee is perpetually about half melted at room temperature though.

That's a very good thing as combining the wet ingredients is key in this recipe, which makes it an easier recipe than most. Most recipes try to retain the "gooiness" of butter to help make their cookies chewy ( that's tricky to make a chewy cookie that is not under-cooked - most house recipes I've had for chewy cookies were just Nestle's Toll House recipe under-cooked ). To pull this off, you use unsalted butter and mix it on a low setting ( i.e. don't heat up the butter at all, mixing on high speeds heats it up and you lose the butter texture - youtube videos show people barely mixing in the flour to retain the butter properties - so you have to have the butter sitting on the counter for hours to soften so it can be mixed at all ) - the problem with this is, while you get an awesome middle chewy texture, you lose the "magic" taste cookies get when butter melds with sugar ( you're just mixing them together, not melding ), so they can be a bit on the bland side and the recipes call for extreme measure to add some zing, like dark European chocolates for example.

My recipe calls for mostly melting the butter - notice I make it clear to not completely melt the butter, as then it loses it's greasy/blobly consistency I'm going for, but even 3/4 melted the butter is hot, so I can go the other way and meld the butter with sugar/eggs/et al without worry of heating the butter ( it's already hot ) - easier feat to pull off than barely mixing ingredients together. So I've believe I've figured out how to get the best of both worlds - mix butter with oil and meld it with the sugar. But don't super wip the wet ingredients either, using a Stand Mixer just pulse highest level for a few seconds a few times and you're good. So if Ghee is already very melty at room temperature, you won't have to heat it up in the Microwave for my recipe.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:08:08 pm by TaoHorror »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2019, 12:25:13 pm »
I had blueberry pie the other day. It was alright - but it was served along side strawberry-rhubarb which was far superior. I think the blueberries make it too sweet.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:48 am »
I had a peanut butter cheesecake about a week ago...simply amazing! I consider that a pie, others might not. I won't sway on me considering it a pie. Try and sway me and you will be left in despair.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2019, 03:05:16 am »
Never had a pie

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2019, 03:16:27 am »
I had blueberry pie the other day. It was alright - but it was served along side strawberry-rhubarb which was far superior. I think the blueberries make it too sweet.

It's not for everyone - but for some reason, blueberry pie makes me sing a song ( gotta be careful eating it, a cant might accidentally fire off ) - a song not sung for some time now that I've been symptomatic Celiac for 5 years now - one day I'll either make myself or score a GF blueberry pie.

I had a peanut butter cheesecake about a week ago...simply amazing! I consider that a pie, others might not. I won't sway on me considering it a pie. Try and sway me and you will be left in despair.

Peanut Butter Cheesecake is indeed another title for Peanut Butter Pie, they're the same thing. The exception being an actual cheesecake with peanut butter swirls through it ( something I think The Cheesecake Factory has, it sucks if memory serves ). But if you're talking about an Oreo cookie crust with a peanut butter filling/topping, then it's pie, not cake. That and despair is not my jam.

Never had a pie

I call bullshit! Everyone has had pie, including ( especially? ) the unborn.